PDA

View Full Version : I about messed up today, I think.

mpbarry1
01-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I went out to load some Lasercast 44 200 gr bullets today. I was going to use unique but the lasercast book only had 231 listed for the cowboy loads and I decided to use that. Max listed was 8 Gr. so I loaded 8 of em up on my hand press at 7.7 gr. was about ready to go shoot em, when I noticed that the HP38 max load was listed at 7.4 grains. Wierd.

I went back into the house and pulled up the hodgson site, and yep, max load for HP 38 was 7.4 grains. I decided to pull em all and reloaded them up at 6.8 grains.

I don't know why the difference in max load, because 231 and HP 38 are proported to come out of the same bin.

Anyone know what is up with that data from Lasercast?

44MAG#1
01-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Two lots of the same powder won't have the same load data all the time even with the other components kept the same
Two different lots of 231 will give different permissible charge weights and so will two different lots of HP-38.
I would have used the first loads and not worried about it
To add more to your worry Speer list as 6.8 with 231 as max with a 200 gr bullet in the 44 Special.
It is a 44 Special isn't it? If you are shooting these in a 44 Mag why worry at all.

mpbarry1
01-16-2012, 06:23 PM
it is a 44 mag redhawk. I was reading another thread on here that said that 231 near max load was risky. here is the thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=139893

I am a huge W231 fan but I don't push max loads with it. after reading that and then seeing the data discrepency, i got a little spooked.

44MAG#1
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
There is nothing in reloading or anything concerning firearms that is written in stone.
Researching load data using different loading manual sources is always the first thing one does.
When I start into new territory I reference 2 or 3 different books just to get a feel of the lay of the land then I proceed with caution.
No need to get spooked just study.
There is a lot more to get spooked about out there than loading ammo