PDA

View Full Version : My Priming Powder Horn

Boerrancher
01-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Several months ago I was out and about and found some of the remains of one of my goats that the mountain lion packed off. I found both of the horns and tossed them in my work room until I figured out what I was going to do with them. While fighting with my flask inside my possibles bag, I decided I needed to make a smaller primer horn for my priming powder. The goat horn worked perfectly.

I cut the pointed end off and drilled a small hole in it for the powder to flow through, then I squared up the large end, and set out to make a wooden cap for it. I cut a piece of seasoned dogwood from the end of an axe handle I was working on, and cut it to fit both the inside and out side of the horn to where it was a pressed tight fit for filling. I cut down a whitetail antler tine, and shaped it up to serve as a stopper. It seems to be just the right size to get to the pan easily, and holds between a quarter and third of a pound of powder.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Tools/PrimerHornA-1.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk155/Boerrancher/Tools/PrimerHornB-1.jpg

It is not pretty, but that was not the intent. I have the materials to make one more when I get around to it. It is much lighter than the large brass flask I was using and I have a bit more control of the pouring of powder in the pan.

Best wishes,

Joe

451 Pete
01-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Joe it looks good. Using the goat horn makes it unique. Great idea.

Pete

stronics
01-16-2012, 06:34 PM
A very neat project, thanks for the pics.
David

frontier gander
01-17-2012, 12:18 AM
wow is that tiny! I think its perfect, its unique and nothing fancy looking which suits my personality.

DIRT Farmer
01-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Good looking priming horn. One that fits in a pocket works better than finding the one in the bottom of the bag. I have one that holds about 10 to 12 primes that I carry when hunting. It is handy enough that I prime just before I shoot. In wet weather, keep the touch hole quilled and shoot when the modern guns won't.

Boerrancher
01-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks fellas I am glad you like it. I use it yesterday when I was shooting with the kids. The shape and size worked perfectly. I didn't spill any powder, was able to just dispense just the perfect amount into the pan. It is large enough that it doesn't go to the bottom of the possibles bag, yet small enough that it doesn't get in the way of getting other items out. I am very pleased with it. This was on project that turned out so much better than I ever expected it would. I knew it would work, but I had no idea it would work so well. I can truly say it was one of the best investments of my time I have ever made.

Bullet Caster
01-18-2012, 02:22 AM
My dad and I built two powder horns out of a couple of longsteer horns someone gave me. I ordered the brass fittings from Dixie Gun Works. We made two horn plugs out of cedar and nailed them in with brass tacks and a little epoxy to get a good seal. I then drilled out the center to install the brass plugs which could be removed to fill the horns. The smaller of the two horns I made into a priming horn with a brass fitting that was adjustable from 1 to 3 grains of priming powder (4Fg). I've since sold both horns since I made two more using fiddle tunning keys for the stoppers. These two horns are a little more primitive than the first two we made. I don't carry either horn in a possibles bag (that I made out of leather chair upholstry). I tied a long cowhide stip to each horn and put them on with my possibles bag. Your small goat's horn really looks good and is small enough to use as a perfect priming horn. Now you need to make a main powder horn to match. I really liked the use of an antler as a plug. Think I'll try that with my antler tips I have on hand. BC

Boerrancher
01-18-2012, 08:15 AM
BC, Funny you should mention carrying your horns on you possibles bag. I do the same with my big powder horn. It is secured with the small end elevated several inches above the large end. This does two things. First it makes it easier for me to pull the stopper and fill my powder measure, and also keeps the powder from spilling out if the horn gets away from me before I can get the stopper back in. The only thing I need to do to my large horn is drill the stopper and put a cord through it and attach it back to the horn so I don't drop the stopper or misplace it.

I really don't have a way to attach the priming horn, and not sure if I want to. It is small enough that it doesn't take up much room, and is very light so weight is not much of a factor, unlike that brass flask the when empty weighed nearly as much as my small leather pouch of balls. I am working on cutting back on the weight. At one time I bet my possibles bag weighed as much as 2 of my rifles. Then I started figuring out that half the **** in my bag I never touched when shooting or hunting, so out it went. Once I eliminated all of that then I started looking for ways to change what I had to make it lighter. I am sure it will be an on going project.

Best wishes,

Joe

Hanshi
01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
I think that's a neat little horn and it looks pretty nice to me.