PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli thread specs?

rockrat
03-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Wondering what the dimensions are for a Pedersoli Sharps? Is it metric or standard US threads. Would like to rebarrel a gun, but the gear to use to cut metric threads was broken when I got the lathe. Thanks

montana_charlie
03-08-2007, 02:12 PM
I am pretty certain (99.8%) that Pedersoli exactly copied a vintage Sharps rifle when they set out to produce their reproduction.

While they use metric fasteners for 'add ons', I believe the barrel uses the original thread style and size.

For verification, you could email Dick Trenk with your question.
dicktrenk (at) aol.com
CM

WBH
03-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Dick Trenk's new email is

dicktrenk@yahoo.com

Bad Flynch
03-20-2007, 04:48 PM
I think it depends on when they were made. Pedersoli is a stickler for copying things correctly, so I have more than one 1874 Sharps with original Sharps threads and dovetail widths. That can be a pain because you just cannot get taps, dies, and screws in some of the old threads and the same goes for sights bearing the old dovetail widths (unless one wants to spend a bunch of money). An example of this would be the sight base screws on the tang of the '74; they are 10-28 and even Brownell's does not have a reasonably priced stock. The front sight dovetail is not a standard 3/8", but MVA will give you anything you want, at their prices and on their sights.

However, I heard that Pedersoli did modernize some of its threads. Don't know about that for sure, though. Check with Dick Trenk.

WBH
03-21-2007, 05:31 PM
I always understood that Pedersoli's had 3/8th's front dovetails. All mine do.

crossfireoops
03-23-2007, 05:59 AM
I've got a print, from when I re-barreled mine , to a Badger.

lemme dig it out........

* thread .....10 TPI, square

* major dia ... 1.138"

*shank legnth..... .850

* thread relief groove 1.020

These are dimensions from an older gun, and I wouldn'nt go to close, without havin' the reciever, or the take off barrel.

Can say that the .051 "Grooving insert" by ISCAR alwayys does the 10 TPI square threads well, for me, whether a Pedersoli, Shilo, or C.Sharps......or a Springfield, for that matter.

Off topic, but notable, the .043" insert does the 12 TPI square ( old Rolling Blocks)
very well.

Best that you "sneak up" on final thread fit....the short shank on the '74 pretty much demands that.