PDA

View Full Version : "Oh, Happy Day"... continued.

lovedogs
03-07-2007, 06:37 PM
In case some of you are curious about how things turned out with the Marlin 1894, my gift .44, I can update some. Maybe you can glean something useful from it.

After Marlin replaced the butt stock, carrier, and barrel I had to scrub diligently for a while to get the surface rust and bluing residue out of the new bbl. It did finally clean up and looks good. It does have what looks like a small longitudinal flaw along the top of one rifling, perhaps a machining mark left by the barreling button. It is small and I hope it will eventually wear off. It doesn't seem to be a problem.

After slugging the bbl. I became concerned 'cuz the grooves miked out at .4315, way too big for a .44 mag. Most jacketed bullets mike .429 to .430 and the biggest lube/size die for my Saeco sizer comes in a .431. I thought I might have to get a new die and ream out to .432 or .433 to get a snug bullet to groove fit when I tried to shoot cast bullets. I was further concerned when I slipped a jacketed bullet in a fired case and found it to be pretty snug. To me that would indicate a snug chamber. If I sized a cast bullet to larger than the .4315 bbl. would it then be too big to chamber? I decided to try them sized at the .430 'cuz that's what I have on hand and see if it shot and if it created a leading problem. I thought I might have a challenge going here.

While waiting for a thaw and the wind to let up I did some modifications. The trigger was way too hard at 5 1/2 lbs. and the lever was stiffer than I liked so I ordered a Cowboy Action Spring Kit from Brownell's. No matter what I did the lever catch spring from the kit was too light. I stretched it and played with it some but the lever would open by itself, just from the weight of it or if you tapped the rifle anywhere. It just wasn't gonna work. So I put the factory spring back in, lubed it well with Tetra Gun Grease and worked it a lot. It did improve some and I suspect it'll break in. The hammer spring in the kit worked wonders. Out of the box the trigger was crisp enough but broke at too heavy a weight for my liking. Cleaning and lubing brought it down to 4 1/2 lbs. Better but still too heavy. The replacing of the hammer spring brought it down to an even 3 lbs. That's not a target trigger but it's plenty good enough for a "bumper jack". It's absolutely crisp and nice now and it made it much nicer to shoot.

To break the bbl. in and to see what it's accuracy possibilities might be I started with jacketed bullets. I had some Speer and Sierra 240 gr. on hand. And I figured either 2400 or H110 oughta work. Long story short... it prefers Speer bullets over Sierra's and likes H110 better than 2400. I thought it odd that I hit max pressures before I could break 1600 FPS with the 2400. Here it's been windy and cool so I began shooting at only 50 yds. When weather improves I'll go to 100. At that distance the best Sierra groups went 1 1/2 in. Even at 50 yds. that isn't too terrible but at only 1500+ speeds it was sort of poor for a .44 rifle. The Speers on the other hand performed really well. Five shots into a neat, round cluster of 3/4 in. The Speers and H110 went an average of 1823 FPS and shot real well. I warmed the ammo to about 75 degrees in my shirt pocket and wore a jacket to keep the ammo warm for testing. So, even with a over-sized bore it shot okay with jacketed .4295 bullets. The wind hasn't let us out for the 100 yd. test but I feel confident that if it'll shoot a ragged hole at 50 it'll probably do okay at 100.

I really intend to shoot cast bullets in the rifle so that was a big issue. I loaded up my own Saeco #431 bullets. They are supposed to be a 250 gr. RNFPGC. Using a Lyman #2 alloy mine turn out to be an average of 243 gr. I sized them .430 and lubed with Glen's excellent 50/50 lube. This rifle just doesn't care for 2400 as it did the same thing as it had with jacketed bullets. I hit pressures before I got any velocity and accuracy wasn't as good as with H110. Best 50 yd. groups with 2400 were 2 in. The H110 loads, however, shot into groups of 1 to
1 1/4 in. and got an average of 1813 FPS. For all practical purposes this shot identical to the Speer/H110 load. They even print the same place on the target. So I think I could use either the Speer jacketed or my own cast with H110 and do about anything I want to do with a .44 rifle. I have to shoot at 100 yds. when I get a calm enough day but it looks to me like it's gonna work out well.

I had wondered if it'd shoot with a .430 cast bullet rattling down a .4315 bbl. and if it'd lead. Or if I kicked the bullet hard enough would it obturate up and work okay? It appears that it did, indeed, bump up and seal well and shot good, too. When I got home to clean the bbl. it only had a slight lead wash in it. Not even what you could call lead fouling. I passed a few patches of acetone through to eliminate powder fouling and be able to check for leading. I could see none. Just a few faint streaks of wash. A couple passes with a dry bronze brush removed them. I finished with a regular cleaning and found the bbl. in good shape with no difficulty in cleaning whatsoever.

So, in spite of Marlin's mistakes and oversized bbls. it looks like this story has a happy ending after all. And, boy, am I glad! I hope to have a lot of fun with her now.

Regards to All and thanks for listening to my ramblings. I hope someone else can get something from them.

Buckshot
03-09-2007, 08:43 AM
.............I'm sure glad your Marlin levergun is now shooting well with a load you've found. Naturally all the gunmakers want you to shoot nothing but factory ammo and that usually means jacketed. However it seems to me that with all the cowboy activity which means lead, they might keep their barrel specs tighter. On the other hand as cowboy mean lead it also means big targets up close :-)

..................Buckshot

lovedogs
03-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Finally got a nice enough day I could get out and shoot this .44 Marlin. I've been doing testing wearing an old 3X Weaver. It's one of those that always makes you wonder if it's really working. It seems to have real inconsistent adjustments until it's used some. Then it straightens out and works right. Don't you just hate that? I do! And that's what it did to me yesterday. I finally got it somewhere close to where it should be on paper at 100 yds. and got some groups using cast bullets. When things were working so's I could tell what was going on I got a couple of two-inch three-shot groups. That's plenty good for a lever gun with cast bullets, I think.

Then, since the scope was not responding and I was running low on ammo and wanted to find out what the factory sights would be like I removed the scope. Boy, my age became apparent. I never could focus the little notch at the bottom of the rear sight. In fact, the whole sight was pretty blurry. Nowadays I can do alright with aperture sights but irons with notches are not possible, I guess. After a lot of squinting I did manage to herd a couple into a two-inch bullseye. So it looks like this project is gonna work out okay. I'll just need to fork out some dough for a good receiver sight. I'm looking at a Williams Fool-Proof. When I called them they said they could install a longer elevation screw at the factory if I ordered it from them; that'd help with the long shots at the silly-wet range.

I'm liking this Marlin better all the time. It's smoothing up. Shoots good. Doesn't lead, in spite of it's over-large bore. I can hardly wait to shoot silhouettes with it and ventilate a deer this fall.

9.3X62AL
03-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Taking a cue from your text and similar accounts--I have put together some higher-velocity combinations in 25-20 and 32-20 for test drives in the Marlin 94's. I'm hoping like you that sufficient pressure behind the boolits might take up a little slack dimensions-wise and do something about the flyers in groups.

Since Buckshot FINALLY called for a cast boolit/rifle week at the Burrito Shoot tomorrow, I can try these stunts without looking like too much of a non-conformist. Ha, boolit-casting conformist........sounds like "Ferrari camper shell".

lovedogs
03-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Good luck, Al. I wonder if I'd have been able to do this without a GC'd bullet. I never imagined I could push a lead bullet through a .44 at 1800+ FPS without leading. I'm not sure all that was involved to make it work out. Maybe the hard kick to the bullet [it didn't get accurate until I passed 1400 FPS], the gas check, and Larsen's wonderful lube? I was sure glad it worked, whatever it was.

NVcurmudgeon
03-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Lovesdogs, glad you .44 is working out well for you after all the trouble. They really are fun guns and will grow on you. I have an 1894 24" Cowboy, and its barrel slugs .4305. I use a .431 sizer die and lean on the handle. My groups aren't quite as good as yours, but this is one of those rare and magical guns that I can shoot almost as well offhand as from the bench.

lovedogs
03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, I had it out yesterday just for a walk in the woods, sort of seeing if I could use the factory sights with my old eyes. I can't see the bottom notch in the rear sight clearly enough and will probably have to go to a receiver sight. I like them better, anyway. But it's true, these guns do grow on you. I love it already. And, again, right, on the offhand ease of shooting. It just seems to point naturally. Each time I use this rifle it becomes dearer to me. I've already named her "La Favorita." That means the favorite to all you Espanol Challenged gunnies out there.