PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my lathe rack finished

Buckshot
06-24-2005, 12:47 AM
.............Not too long after getting my lathe I realized I needed a splash or spray shield pretty badly. I had dis-assembled, cleaned and oiled :oops: the chucks that came with it. When first running the 6 jaw Buck Adjust-tru in the photo below, I managed to give myself an oil racing strip up my left pant leg, shirt, wall, and the dryer against the opposite wall!

http://www.fototime.com/B42999491991D09/standard.jpg
And since the chipwell is huge I also decided to make the shield as a sub-chipwell kinda thing. It's easily removeable and I can carry it out to the trash and dump it.

However a real need was felt for shelving close to the lathe in order to hold commonly used stuff so it would be close to hand.

http://www.fototime.com/0E0BCC832ABA9CC/standard.jpg
I used 1x1 sq steel tube to form a section to sit on each end of the cabinet. I welded on short legs to the uprioghts and then tech screwed them to the cabinet. Along the top to tie them together I used a piece of 1" electrical conduit. I made a clamp for the lamp in the photo which fits around the conduit. You can slide and lock the lamp along it's length where you need it.

On the front of the 4 uprights I attached regular old shelving track. I thought wood for the shelves might be limiting so I used the vinyl coated wire racks sold for closets and such. It's cheap and bolt cutters made quick work of shortening them. The 5C collet closer is now kept handy on a couple shelf standards, along with way, spindle, and cutting oil and a few pre-indexed tool holders.

http://www.fototime.com/B7AFE17A64272BD/standard.jpg
The tailstock shelves basicly hold setup stuff and some tooling for the turret. I hadn't even thought of it at the time the photo was taken, but the top shelf now holds Jacobs chucks and live centers to the front, with their Morse Tapers hanging down through the bars of the shelves.

Sure makes things a lot handier then having commonly used stuff hiding in drawers or on shelves at the other end of the garage:cool:

...............Buckshot

carpetman
06-24-2005, 12:57 AM
Buckshot---Dep Al did a fine job of designing your shield,shelf etc. I can tell you didnt as there are no hose clamps nor duct tape I can see. What is a tech screw?

Buckshot
06-24-2005, 01:36 AM
............Carpetman, basicly a tech screw is a hardened self tapping screw, but there are bunches of different types for various applications. Those steel building systems you see advertised have their siding and some of the thinner supports put together with tech screws.

BTW, I am trying to graduate beyond hose clamps, duct tape, and nylon cable ties in my gunsmithing work. Seems to be less then well received.

.............Buckshot

StarMetal
06-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Those metal building screws that I have actually have a drill bit built into the tip of the screw. The threads, at on mine, are not self-tapping...just regular sheet metal threads. Most self-tapping screws have a tap configuration built into the tip and they are most often tapered like a starter tap.

Joe