PDA

View Full Version : mixing lubes

RugerBob
01-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Hey all, I am using Lyman blk moly w/ a melt temp of 150 degrees. Gonna switch to SPG w/a melt temp at 140 degrees.
Can SPG be used for non-Black powder shooting loads.? I plan on using SPG for my 45cal BP loads , will this still be ok to use in my wifes guns, also 45, non BP loads. I just don't want to have to set up another lube sizer if I don't have to.
Just wondering if SPG will be ok in any load?
Thanks, Bob

fredj338
01-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Should be fine, I have run SPG w/ smokless powder loads & it ran fine @ least @ lower 45colt pressures.

fryboy
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM
most black powder lubes work well for low pressure smokeless loads , it's when you start adding all the pressure that demands increase , 38 wadcutters and plinking 45 acp loads arent very demanding IMHO , i dont however use SPG lolz but i have tried a variety ( including emmert's etc ) as crossover lubes , currently using dick dastardly's pearl lube ( slightly modified and tweaked of course but ... it works well ) one thing to consider ( if you're using lyman's moly lube you should be use to the mess lolz ) is that most black powder lubes are fairly soft and dont tend to store lubed boolits very well but softer lube does tend to be more messy IMHO

RugerBob
01-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the replys.
The only other lead I use is for 38 cowboy matches for spouse and 45 acp mid range loads.
The 45 acp is usually 5 grs 700x and the 38s , 3 grs trail boss.
I was thinking SPG cuz its 140 degree melt temp would not be as messy.

Anything eles I load for would be jacketed and avoid lube station.

EDK
01-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Mike Venturino wrote numerous times that he used SPG for all his cast boolits. I'd use it for everything if I got it free ...LOL. Mike formerly was a partner with Steve Garbe in SPG. It would be a little pricey for me to use....sure wish LARS was making his version of SPG....I'm nursing my limited supply along before I spend twice as much on SPG...ain't found anyone selling it at a discount.

:redneck::cbpour::2gunsfiring_v1: