PDA

View Full Version : Myth or Fact?

DeadWoodDan
01-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Is it safe to shoot jacketed bullets after shooting cast boolits?

Will shooting jacketed bullets help clean out any leading that was the result from cast boolits?

Discussing with a fellow shooter, more wiser and experienced than I, and our reasoning is conflicting. For example I am new too shooting cast and while going through the learning curve I have what I consider a small amount of leading in my .40S&W XD after 500 rounds. I am sure it originated during the first load development (50rds) when i was trying to use Titegroup and possibly pushing them faster than i should have. thats when i first noticed the build up. Then switched to HS6 and barrel seems to have cleaned up some / looks beeter that it did. No i haven't cleaned it in 500rds; my bad.

So, i was under the impression that shooting a few "J" word down range would help clean up any leading? My buddy says they will just drive the lead in more and will be harder to clean?

So yes i'm ready to clean it and do it again. :bigsmyl2:

Wayne Smith
01-16-2012, 01:51 PM
If you haven't cleaned it in 500 rounds and you have leading, you have layers of carbon and lead built up over time. A gas checked boolit may help scrape some of it out. I would doubt a jacketed bullet would have much significant effect on your bore.

Have fun cleaning!

01-16-2012, 01:51 PM
As usual, there are two sides, to the issue. I agree with your friend. Others will say the opposite.

MtGun44
01-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Not sure. Been a long time since I had any significant leading. The little slivers
and streaks I get in my 1911s form the comm boolits with crayola lube, I have never
tried to shoot out. I actually don't have that much Jbullet ammo for the .45s.

Bill

Blammer
01-16-2012, 03:06 PM
shoot a few jwords down it afterwards, it'll help clean it out. If not, you'll know for next time. :)

burntpowder
01-16-2012, 03:15 PM
I could go either way on this. Long ago the sixties after shooting

I could go either way on this. Long ago (the sixties) after shooting around 100 rds or so of 148gr lead wad cutters most of the shooters thought the 12rs of full house jacketed 357 loads fired last at the seven yard line did help with lead build up. This would be a great time for those here to do a few tests and lets find out. Something a lot of us would like to know of course I bet there are those with the answer.

454PB
01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Yeah, it works. However, heavy leading is actually a bore obstruction, so you have to be careful.

There are other methods that work too.....the previously mentioned gas checked boolit, and a few very lightly loaded cast boolits. Very lightly loaded act like bore slugging, and push the leading out, but again, it can be dangerous if it's so lightly loaded that it sticks a boolit in the barrel.

Everyone knows it's best to avoid the leading in the first place, but I doubt anyone can say they've never HAD leading at some time.

BOOM BOOM
01-16-2012, 05:17 PM
HI,
Gas checked boolits do work, both pistol & rifle.
Then 3 rounds of rifle j bullets in the rifle= no lead in barrel.
Seemed to work in my revolvers too.

But really good cast loads , really don't lead your barrel.:Fire::Fire:

runfiverun
01-16-2012, 06:01 PM
just keep working on what you have going right now, when the leading disappears after a mag or two.
you won't have to waste money on the jaxketeds to find out will you.?
i do know a light load with cream of wheat filler will scrub a bbl clean right fast in a straight walled case.

375RUGER
01-16-2012, 06:19 PM
swab the bore with some penetrating oil. Let it soak a bit. Swab out the excess. Shoot a few full length gas checks and you won't have to 'scrub' so much out of the barrel.

If you are developing your loads, you're not really learning anything about the load if you're shooting through a lot of fouling.

stubshaft
01-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Kroil!!! and a tight patch.

Larry Gibson
01-16-2012, 06:45 PM
The often cited concern is that shooting jacketed after cast will raise pressure. I have tested that concern numerous times with handgun and rifle cartridges when pressure/velocity testing various loads. I have yet to find a discernable increase in psi when firing either one after the other after numerous tries. This is, for the most part, one of theories that may sound reasonoable but in reality is a myth.

Caveat; I have not conducted any such test of jacketed after cast in a severely leaded barrel. I do not shoot such loads that lead as such so the opprotunity has not been there.

Larry Gibson

Recluse
01-16-2012, 06:59 PM
i do know a light load with cream of wheat filler will scrub a bbl clean right fast in a straight walled case.

+1, and does okay on cylinders, too.

Kroil!!! and a tight patch.

Another +1.

On those occasions I feel the need to completely clean my barrel/s out to "factory-like new," I start with a patch soaked in Kroil and get the barrel nice and soaked, then go off and leave it for several hours.

My biggest concern with running jacketed bullets down my barrel after lead is having copper fouling mixed in with the lead fouling, which will play hell with accuracy.

:coffee:

blackthorn
01-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Not that long ago there was a post on here that said performing the slugging process on the bore would leave it clean and lead free. Good luck and have a pleasent evening!