PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a competition seating die

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-16-2012, 03:59 AM
I'm wanting to reduce the runout on .223, .308 and 30-06 ammunition reloaded on a progressive press. To help with this, I've decided to go with a competition seater die instead of a standard seating die. The press I'm using is an RCBS Pro 2000. I am NOT loading cast bullets with this. Only FMJ ball type bullets and later on I'll be loading match bullets and hunting bullets.

Here's the candidates:

1. RCBS Gold Medal Match Series Bushing Seater Die. This die does NOT require an extended shell holder, hence my interest in it for the progressive. If you have experience with this die and Forster/Redding as well, please leave comments about your experience.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/763205/rcbs-gold-medal-match-series-bushing-seater-die-223-remington

2. Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater die

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665744/forster-ultra-micrometer-seater-die-223-remington

3. Redding Competition Seater Die

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/531039/redding-competition-seater-die-223-remington

I know from my research the Redding is a highly recommended die, but is the most expensive of the three and if I can get good results from one of the other two, I'd like to save a little money. The RCBS has a window to drop the bullet in, which would be handy for me with the nerve damage in my left them from an old injury and for use on a progressive press. The Forster is the cheapest of the three by more than enough money to pay for shipping and comes highly recommended as well.

I'd love to get poll responses from folks that have actually used these three dies and comments as well.

Thank you,

Dave

Bwana
01-16-2012, 08:48 AM
For what it's worth, I have used the RCBS "competition" die and found it severely lacking. I then bought the Redding competition seater die and didn't look back. This was for my Savage 10FP. I recommend the Redding die.

largom
01-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Are you going to shoot cast boolits or jacketed? I use Redding Competition dies for jacketed bullets and they work great [get what you pay for]. For cast boolits I make my own seaters using a Hornady body, the Redding dies are too expensive to modify.

Larry

Doc_Stihl
01-16-2012, 09:24 AM
I use a forster and I'm happy with it on a progressive. Runout was improved over stationary RCBS die, but it's still not superb. I blame the less than precise nature of the shell plate on the press. In a single stage press, it's about as good as it gets.

375RUGER
01-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Don't forget that one important factor in a straight bullet is to size the case straight. I lock down the size die with a case in it so that you know it is square with how the case sits on the shell plate. This applys whether you are neck sizing or full length.
And I use the Redding seater and that is what I recommend but that's also the only one I've ever used.

1hole
01-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Get a Forster, with or without the micro seating stem. Redding copied it, make it shinier and sell them for more. RCBS nor simular Hornady seaters aren't even in the same league.

No seater can correct for bad case necks so get a good sizer too. The best sizing combo I've learned to prefer is a body die and a Lee Collet neck sizer. Used together they work better than any fussy bushing type FL or neck sizers and cost much less.

felix
01-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Full length sizing is preferred because everything is held straight. The sizing should be just enough to guide the case and still require a very light oil. Hand held dies made with the same reamer as the chamber is ideal. The sizing die does not see the finishing reamer that the chamber does. ... felix

Recluse
01-16-2012, 12:24 PM
Haven't tried the RCBS seating die, and probably won't.

I like RCBS dies--they and Lee are my first two choices, with RCBS always getting the nod. But for precision seating, nothing beats Redding.

It was the same die in .270 that helped me get a guy's .270 down to MOA and less at 200 yards, and it's the same die my beloved armorer and gunsmith uses to get all of his custom .308 cartridges he loads down to clover-leaf patterns.

It's basically $28 bucks higher than the Forster, which I doubt you'd go wrong with, by the way.

If you're looking to simply eliminate run-out and nothing more, go with the Forster. If you're looking further down the road to see just how precise and accurate and consistent you can get your .223 handloads, buy the Redding.

:coffee:

220swiftfn
01-17-2012, 01:19 AM
A couple things to think about.....

The RCBS; If it needs the extended shellholder, it's not going to work on a progressive. (I know the .308 needs it, not sure about the .223) Also, with the window there's a hesitation in the loading stroke, when you run the case up to the bushing and sometimes you LOWER the ram to put the bullet in, a pretty good way to get a powder "event" on a progressive......

The Redding; A friend of mine swears by them, but he doesn't check runout..... I can't comment on them one way or the other.....

The Forster; You can save some money by going with the non-micrometer version. Sometimes beneficial to just set it, lock it down, and forget it (the micrometer head is a "fluid" adjust, not a "click")

Dan

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-17-2012, 01:45 AM
I addressed a couple of questions and other issues back in the original post for guys that had questions before answering.

LUBEDUDE
01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
I use the Redding for pistol boolits with satisfaction on a progressive.

Good Luck

Johnk454
01-17-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm using the Redding for 223 and 6.5x55, both in a Freedom Arms Single Shot. Impressive results.

No input on the others as I have no experience with them.

dromia
01-18-2012, 02:16 AM
I use Forster dies, because of price, quality, availability and functionality, it does keep the run out minimal if you do your bit with appropriate case prep, attention to detail, quality components and a consistent process. I've used the Redding and it works well too but is a bit over priced in comparison to the Forster. Haven't used an RCBS yet but I'm sure all three makes will do a good job for you.

quasi
01-19-2012, 11:54 PM
FROM my uses, the Forster benchrest seater die is as accurate as the Redding. Redding copied Forster's seater, and it is nicer on the outside (and more expensive). If you don't need/want the micrometer feature, just by the standard Forester benchrest seater, it is cheaper. You can also retrofit Forster's standard seater to micrometer seater.

cdet69
01-21-2012, 09:27 PM
I love the RCBS competition seater dies for loading ammo. I have noticed that the bullet guide has a tendency to wear though. I aslo have the Redding competition seater dies too. I think the Redding are more accurate than RCBS but RCBS customer service is alot better when repairs are needed. For hunting I use RCBS, for competition I use Redding.

Char-Gar
02-20-2012, 12:14 PM
I am old school and prefer the Wilson chamber type hand seater for precision work. All of the press mounted dies are just recent attempts to sell a press mounted die that does what the Wilson has done for generations.

BD
02-20-2012, 12:27 PM
I've been using the Redding .223 Comp seater for 15 years with no complaints. In combination with thier full length size die, good brass and a Lee FC die my AR will hold 1/2 MOA all the time, with the best groups @ 1/4 from the bench.
BD