PDA

View Full Version : 336 feeding problems

Bardo
01-15-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 1948 marlin 336 30/30 and it won't properly feed about every 5th round. It dose one of 2 things. 1st it won't drop the round completely from the tube. I think it dose this on the last round but not a 100% sure. 2nd it drops it but doesn’t lift it at all to put it in the chamber. It dose it with the 4 bullets I have tried- all designed for the 30/30. Lyman 311041, NOE 165 ranch dog, sierra 170 FN and hornady ftx. I have completely taken the gun apart and cleaned and put it back together- but the problem is still there- I think it is better then before, but still there.

Bardo

Breadman03
01-16-2012, 12:19 AM
I read on the Marlin Owner site about the screw that holds the loading gate being loose can cause jamming issues. Good luck!

Bardo
01-16-2012, 01:44 AM
I read on the Marlin Owner site about the screw that holds the loading gate being loose can cause jamming issues. Good luck!

Ya I had read that also. When I put it back together I used a little locktite.

Bardo
01-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Anyone got an idea of the problem?

Yance
01-18-2012, 10:25 PM
When you say "completely" did you clean the inside of the mag tube, spring, and follower? It helps to wire brush the follower and give the spring a little "stretch". The old spring may be tired and new ones aren't that expensive. A tight fitting bore brush for the inside of the mag tube followed by solvent then dry patches should clean it up then VERY lightly oil with a light oil like Rem Oil. Also check VERY closely that you don't have any tiny dents or burrs near the end of the tube.

Bardo
01-19-2012, 03:59 AM
I did clean the tube but I didnt run a brush down it. I will do that and I like your idea of streching the spring. I wondered if it was the spring. I havent even had the gun for 2 years, for all I now someone could of had it loaded for 30 years and had the spring compressed. Where is a good place to get a new spring? I didnt see that midway had one. Thanks for the good idea I will try it and hope for the best.

Yance
01-19-2012, 04:12 AM
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=800100-05I&catid=617

I always check the good folks up in New York first for old/obsolete parts and also newer stuff. They also stock the Marlin "Bullseyes" so you can replace a missing one, or where some "genius" thought that was where you screwed in the sling swivel stud. (I like to find those, because it's an easy fix back to "correct")

woody1
01-19-2012, 07:14 PM
With the hangups only happening with last rounds, I'd agree it's prob'ly a spring problem. Or there could be some sort of hangup in the tube toward the receiver. Until you get a new spring, you could put an extension of some sort on the mag. tube follower which would provide more tension on the last cartridge but would also limit the number of cartridges you could load. At the minimum it would show you if it was the spring causing the problem. Of course, just leaving the last cartridge in the tube would do the same thing. Regards, Woody