View Full Version : Tell Me About the 90194 Lee Precision Rifle Charging Die, Please!

Josh Smith
01-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Hello,

Been looking at the Lee rifle charging die.

I like my disk powder thrower and wouldn't mind using it on rifles. I'd of course get a double disk conversion. Might even see if I could convert it to three disks... seems simple enough to do.

Anyway, the rub comes here: I load for the 7.62x54R and the 7.92x57j/js (figured out the Gew88/05 can take starting loads with 0.323" bullets).

Typical charge is 45 grains of Varget or whatever. Just in that range.

I figure that I could do two throws and come close enough for plinking ammo. As it stands, I charge off-press using a powder thrower and manually weighing each charge. (I know, but I'm OCD like that).

The rifle charging die lists dimensional limitations. However, it would seem to me that for a longer length case, anyway, it could be backed out of the hole a bit.

Anyone have experience with these? What are their real limits as opposed to their published limits?

Thanks,

Josh

Recluse
01-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Josh,

I bought one to go with the Classic Turret press I bought and set up as I'll also use this press to load plinking rounds for 30-30, 7.62x39 and .223. Being as they're just plinking loads, weighing and using a powder trickler for each round isn't nearly as attractive as using the Lee disc system, which still keeps me within a half-grain or less on each throw.

So, with that reasoning, I bought one of the rifle charging dies along with the riser extender to use with the turret press.

I promptly ruined a 7.62 case because I didn't read the instructions. [smilie=b:

This is not a flaring die, but rather simply a (powder) charging die. Thus, you set it up differently. You only screw the die in deep enough so that at the top of the (press) stroke, the case/neck moves the internal ring up enough to push/activate the spring loaded trap on the disk measure.

If you screw the die in any deeper, you will crush the neck of your case beyond repair.

Fortunately, I only touch a hot stove once and read the instructions and figured out how to best set the charging die up.

Conclusion? I love it.

:coffee:

Ben
01-15-2012, 11:39 PM
The die can put a flare on the case IF, the die is subjected to some slight modifications :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131794

hk33ka1
01-16-2012, 01:45 AM
I used the Universal Charging die and the perfect powder measure to load a bunch of .308 for my M14 with Win 748 on the Loadmaster. It was pretty consistant. There was the standard powder leakage though.
http://leeprecision.com/xcart/UNIVERSAL-CHARGING-DIE.html
http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Perfect-Powder-Measure.html

Theyre both a little cheaper from Factory Sales.

I don't think I'd try varget through the auto disk in two throws.

Whether a progressive, turret or single stage I would recommend that you do this:
1 lube and full length size
2 check length and trim/chamfer all cases
3 prime all cases
4 flare cases if needed for boolit with universal flaring die or M die etc.
5 charge cases in press with Universal charging and perfect powder measure.
6 seat boolits
7 crimp if needed

I sized, trimmed and hand primed all my .308 then ran it through the loadmaster to charge seat and Factory Crimp.

3-7 can be done on a progressive or turret.
Prime/flare
Charge
Seat
Crimp