PDA

View Full Version : Bronze wool

rak1
01-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Can one uswe bronze wool to clean the lead out of a barrel? What is the difference between bronze and brass?
Thanks
Dick

Mal Paso
01-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Yes. Bronze is Copper and Tin, Brass is Copper and Zinc.

williamwaco
01-15-2012, 11:41 PM
I have used bronze wool for 50 years. Wrap it around a worn out bore brush until it fits the bore so tight you can barely push it through the bore. Then swab.

navigate to:

http://www.reloadingtips.com/reviews/lead_fouling_removal.htm

Then scroll down to

World's Best Bore Leading Removal Tool

This is what it will do for you.

beagle
01-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Adding Ed's Red really speeds up the process too. My process exactly./beagle

I have used bronze wool for 50 years. Wrap it around a worn out bore brush until it fits the bore so tight you can barely push it through the bore. Then swab.

navigate to:

http://www.reloadingtips.com/reviews/lead_fouling_removal.htm

Then scroll down to

World's Best Bore Leading Removal Tool

This is what it will do for you.

rak1
01-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Thank you Williamwaco and Mal Paso. That is the info I was looking for.
Dick
Also thank you beagle.
The people on this forum are the greatest.

41 mag fan
01-16-2012, 08:36 AM
I take a copper scouring pad and pull strands out and wrap around my brush. Seems to work for me, using a bore cleaner in conjunction.

prs
01-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Where can one purchase bronze wool or brass wool?

prs

williamwaco
01-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Where can one purchase bronze wool or brass wool?

prs

Most hardware stores. But for sure any store that sells furniture refinishing supplies. I buy mine at Lowes or Home Depot.

prs
01-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks! How have I missed it? I will check it out.

prs

lbaize3
01-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Bronze wool comes in several grades. I suggest you use the coarsest grade of bronze wool you can get. It works much quicker than the finer grades. I actually use both. Coarse to start and then the finer to finish....

geargnasher
01-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Bronze wool comes in several grades. I suggest you use the coarsest grade of bronze wool you can get. It works much quicker than the finer grades. I actually use both. Coarse to start and then the finer to finish....

+1 on the different grades. I use Copper scouring pad patches too, but usually the bronze wool gets it cleaned out if I screw something up with a load and get leading.

Gear

Moonman
01-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Some say to wrap the bronze wool (a sheet piece that is longer than the brush length) around an old used brush (tight in the bore dia.) and BRUSH THE BORE DRY WITH IT, NO SOLVENT, they claim this works better than purchasing a Lewis Lead Remover.:drinks::Fire:

milprileb
01-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Ace Hardware sells it.

Most employees will give you that deer in headlight look so
ask for manager as they all stock it in the chain of stores.

tward
01-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Most boat stores also carry bronze wool. It does not rust in salt water like steel wool! Tim:bigsmyl2: