PDA

View Full Version : How much for wheelweights?

Preacher
03-07-2007, 11:48 AM
If one needs to buy wheelweights for casting what's a good price in today's market. They seem to be getting harder and harder to find at gas stations now a days. Thank.

Preacher

jdhenry
03-07-2007, 01:00 PM
I can't speak for everyone but I have paid as much as $40.00 for 5g. I get about 120lb of ingots out of them. thats about .33 a pound The most I have paid for any lead is .35 a pound at the scrap yard. Hope this helps a little.

Jeremy

corvette8n
03-07-2007, 01:55 PM
.33lb
Thats what I paid for my last bucket of 35lbs lead pipe and about 10 lbs of wheelweights

Preacher
03-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks much folks. That gives me something to go on.

Preacher

rockrat
03-07-2007, 06:59 PM
I just paid $35 for a full 5 gal bucket plus another bucket about 3/4 full, today.

vmt_hntr
03-07-2007, 07:05 PM
My buddy and are getting set up to make a really good score on about a ton and a half(3klbs) of wheelweights. Hopefully the guy won't renig on $15 per 5gal bucket (100# ea)....will post report later...
boB...

dmftoy1
03-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Around here a 5 gallon bucket seems to be about $25-$15.

Lead at the scrap yard is .50 per pound. I haven't been by there to see what quality it is or what it is but they say they have ALOT of it.

2 weeks ago I scored close to 300lbs for $16 but that was alot of stopping and getting turned down. I think I'm getting a handle though on the type of places to ask at.

Good Luck!

Have a good one,
Dave

randyrat
03-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I have paid $10-$20 for a 5 gal bucket. i paid $20 for a 5 gal bucket full of truck WWs. ******I think these days(cheap) will end soon******. Check out the small scrap yards that have to haul long distance to main scrap yards they don't like to haul lead too heavy for the return on $$.

Preacher
03-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Again I appreciate all the input. Things aren't like they were just a few years ago. Guess the hunt is on!

Preacher

hunter64
03-08-2007, 09:50 AM
In my area, I phoned a couple of scrap yards and they pay 15 cents a pound to the garages and they charge 45 cents a pound if I buy from them. That is a nice little markup. I stopped into a tire store a couple of weeks ago and paid 20 bucks a 5 gallon pale (6 of them) and when I went around to the door to pick them up, lo and behold they put 9 buckets out for me so I paid about the same as what they were getting paid for the weights. Yes it is getting hard to find the freebies any more. Untimely I would love to get some kind of regular route in my area that I pick up once a month from a couple of tire shops. I about have a life time of processed WW in 25 pound ingots but it would be nice to have about another ton and then for sure I would be covered. I can see the greenpeacer crowd outlawing lead WW which will put the price thru the roof, like they have in many locals in Europe. If a person had a good supply then you could sell some to fellow shooters when times will get tough to find lead. The only negative thing I could see is if you move somewhere, alot of extra weight to transport.