PDA

View Full Version : 452374 Clone

ColColt
01-15-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm looking for maybe someone that has a Miha clone of the Lyman 452374 RN boolit for the 45 Auto. I missed out on the group buy if he did one and wondered if there may be another run or if someone has one extra by chance. I don't care for the TL type of mold. I'm afraid of buying it from Lyman or Midway as my last few Lyman molds have been undersized and don't want to chance that again.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/mould-details.php?entryID=29

sundog
01-15-2012, 08:05 PM
The Lee 452-225-RN is a little blunter and closer to military ball. Neither the Ly nor the Lee are the most accurate boolit, but they darn sure feed and function in 1911s. I have recently cast A BUNCH of the Lee boolits, put a few through a .452 H&I, and amazingly they are fairly round (my copy anyway) and trued up very nicely. Hopefully gonna shoot some tomorrow for some powder experiments across a chrono and then shoot a few groups.

geargnasher
01-16-2012, 01:09 PM
ColColt, if you want a .45 ACP boolit that feeds well and shoots straight, with REAL lube grooves and a flat base, order an Accurate #45-230L in a brass two or three cavity.

Gear

slide
01-16-2012, 02:39 PM
If you haven't already you might message to Mihec. Sometimes he has overruns.

ColColt
01-16-2012, 10:30 PM
The #45-230L looks pretty good but not much of a grease groove. I like the 45-230M pretty well and it's got a larger grease groove.

An overrun would be nice but I ma have to get it from Fantasy Island. They're probably all gone. I didn't get to see what it looked like before.

MikeS
01-17-2012, 10:09 AM
NOE made a clone of the H&G #34 which is a round nose boolit. I think it's a closer match to the original GI Ball than the Lee, and possibly even the Lyman. It kind of looks like the Lee 230gr round nose tumble lube boolit, but with a normal lube groove, rather than the TL grooves. I think the designer at Lee that made that boolit basically copied the #34's shape, and replace the lube groove with their TL grooves. Check in the Vendor section, I think Al still has some of those moulds. I bought a 5 cavity mould of that boolit, and I like it. If you want to get a lighter weight round nose, look into the SAECO #265 (or H&G #265, they're almost identical), it's a 200gr round nose, it has a larger jump from the driving bands to the nose. I only have a 2 cavity mould of the #265, but I'm keeping an eye out for a SAECO 4 cavity mould of it.

beagle
01-19-2012, 11:07 PM
The Saeco #57 isn't bad either if you can live with a BB mould. I've used it both in a M1911 and also in teh Ruger Blackhawk convertible./beagle

geargnasher
01-19-2012, 11:19 PM
The #45-230L looks pretty good but not much of a grease groove. I like the 45-230M pretty well and it's got a larger grease groove.

An overrun would be nice but I ma have to get it from Fantasy Island. They're probably all gone. I didn't get to see what it looked like before.

OUCH! :sad: You're hurting it's feelings! Actually, it holds more lube than an H&G #68, trust me, it's PLENTY. The concept was to have enough lube where it's needed, and two grooves spaced so they will both get filled from one row of holes from a Lyman or RCBS sizer die and not get the base goobered up. Three driving bands with two fluid gaskets in between corks the bore nicely, and the boolit doesn't accordion when made from softer alloys and fired with fast powders. Of course, I'm partial, it was my solution to Lee not seeing fit to make their fine TL452-230 RN with real lube grooves :bigsmyl2:

I tell you what, I'll send you some to try, and if you don't like them, you can can melt the rest down into whatever you like.

Gear

Ronbo256
01-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Heck ColColt if you don't like those Boolits from geargnasher save them for me. I love the TL452 230 RN from Lee, I even size and lube them in my lyman 45 to very good effect, but I do wish that exact design had a conventional lube groove or 2, even if the boolit weighed a bit less. If I weren't poor as a church mouse I'd order a 3 cavity 45-230L from Tom, I like the design and I know Tom makes great molds.

475BH
01-20-2012, 12:53 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LYMAN-IDEAL-452-460-LEAD-BULLET-MOLD-HANDLES-AND-ORIGINAL-BOX-ROUND-NOSE-/150738591240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2318b85e08
This e-bay ad says 452460, but it is a 374. Might be worth a look, it comes in an older orange and white paper box.

MikeS
01-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Heck ColColt if you don't like those Boolits from geargnasher save them for me. I love the TL452 230 RN from Lee, I even size and lube them in my lyman 45 to very good effect, but I do wish that exact design had a conventional lube groove or 2, even if the boolit weighed a bit less. If I weren't poor as a church mouse I'd order a 3 cavity 45-230L from Tom, I like the design and I know Tom makes great molds.

As I said before, if you want the same design boolit as the Lee 230gr TL boolit, but with a real lube groove, check and see if NOE still has any of his clones of the H&G #34. I'm convinced that the designer at Lee that came up with that boolit was looking at an H&G #34 when he/she designed it. Lee's other 45 round nose boolit is a totally different animal, and one best left alone.

Ronbo256
01-22-2012, 07:01 PM
NOE is out of the H&G #34 I already checked. You can order a H&G #34 or 68 or whatever was in the H&G catalog from Ballisti-Cast now, all the way up to 10 cavity molds!