PDA

View Full Version : De Rim die?

Utah Shooter
01-15-2012, 05:34 PM
So I have the die for de rimming 22lr brass. If it is still leaving a ring and not unfolding it all of the way.

Tends to unfold better on the Lapua brass than the Eley. Am I missing something or perhaps could the de rim die just be wearing out?

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l194/shmoeee/Projectiles/049.jpg

MIBULLETS
01-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Usually the punch will wear first and can cause this. If the punch is wearing you will be able to see a slight ring around the tip that matches up with were the jacket has the ring on it. If there isn't any wear, then the punch may be a little undersized. This shouldn't make your bullets any less accurate until it wears enough that the firing pin indent starts to slide down the side of the jacket. At that point you need a new punch.

The Eley and Lapua brass may be thicker and that is why you don't see it as much. I've heard that Federal brass is thick. Maybe try that, at least then you may be able to confirm it is the thickness.

n.h.schmidt
01-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Hi
I have been doing this for a while. You cases don't really look bad at all. My orginal Corbin made derim die and punch did worse. Everything is in the details.My current derim die and punch are made to almost no clearance at all. The punch is .201dia and the die is .222 dia. I tried to make use of a even larger punch (.202) .This was too tight and caused me way too much drama to get them through. Most cases are about .010 thick as measured by me.
If your punch isn't hard enough it will wear and faster than you think. In some setups the end of the punch can be cut back to get rid of the worn part.
Since I made my own ,I could control the punch hardness. The one use now is H.S.S drill rod. and pollished . With a little lube on the punch them cases come off easily.
n.h.schmidt

Utah Shooter
01-15-2012, 07:09 PM
I just really want to eliminate ANY variable if I can. This is a Corbin de rim die. I do not care if there is a ring around the top after the core seat but there seems to be some after that step as well. Thanks for all the help.

MIBULLETS
01-15-2012, 10:14 PM
If the ring is in the jacket it will be in the finished bullet. It won't swage out. You can only draw it out. I would try a larger punch if want to get it all out. The rod on the Corbin punch is just threaded into the base. You can purchase new rod from Corbin for $6 ea I think or if you know someone that can make them. Shortening the punch as mentioned by n.h.schmidt works too as long as the punch and die can still be adjusted enough to push the case through the die.

Last time mine wore out I got 3 of them from Corbin at once so I had spares.

Utah Shooter
01-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Well that is what I am using. I do not think though that this punch has been used too many times. What is the diameter on yours? I am using the R-Type dies. Not sure if that matters. the bushing in the die is .221 and the punch is .197 in diameter.

Guess the punch could be bumped by .004 in diameter.

alfloyd
01-16-2012, 03:39 AM
Joe: ( Utah Shooter )

If you do not clean the 22 brass before you de-rim them, you will wear out your punch in a hurry.
The priming compound in the 22 brass is loaded with abrasives and that will wear the tip of your punch fast.
I run my brass thru the ultra sonic cleanner with Lemon shine before I de-rim them.

Hope this helps with the wear on your punches.

Lafaun

arkypete
01-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Gentlemen
Would annealing the cases prior to cleaning and de-rimming help?

Jim

alfloyd
01-16-2012, 01:24 PM
"Gentlemen
Would annealing the cases prior to cleaning and de-rimming help?"

NO, it will make it fail more in the de-rim stage. Annealed brass, for me anyway, sticks to the punch and pops the head off more than non-annealed brass.

I clean, de-rim, anneal, clean, seat the core and point.

Just my way of doing things.

Lafaun

MIBULLETS
01-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Well that is what I am using. I do not think though that this punch has been used too many times. What is the diameter on yours? I am using the R-Type dies. Not sure if that matters. the bushing in the die is .221 and the punch is .197 in diameter.

Guess the punch could be bumped by .004 in diameter.

I think your punch could be bigger for the bushing you have.

Well the best I can measure, my punch is about .198 and the bushing is .216 so it is tighter than what you have by .006. Your gap is about .024 and mine is about .018

I did some reading and found in one of Corbin's technical bulletins that he used to make them to this spec. Bushing of .219 and punch of .200 for a difference of .019

Utah Shooter
03-02-2012, 12:40 AM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l194/shmoeee/Projectiles/005-1.jpg

I guess been used a lot. My punch is .198 and the opening is .221 on the insert for the die. I am just assuming it would need to be about .216 or so.

Could someone make another insert that could be at that diameter and maybe a bit thicker than the one shown so it does not wear out as fast (where it comes out of the insert)? Or would it be better to make a different punch?
I used to have a buddy that did most of my modifications for free but it takes over a month.

I try to clean them the best that I can but I can always see a bit down in the case.

alfloyd
03-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Joe:

Send your die and punch to me and I will get it working as you like.

PM me for details.

Lafaun

MIBULLETS
03-02-2012, 07:02 PM
If the punch is from Corbin it will be easier to make a larger punch. The one you have should screw right out of the shell holder base. It might be tough to get it started but it will come out.

randmplumbingllc
03-02-2012, 11:58 PM
I think Dave Corbin sells the replacement screw in derim punches for about 6 bucks. They are .199 in diameter.

Utah Shooter
03-03-2012, 03:52 AM
Joe:

Send your die and punch to me and I will get it working as you like.

PM me for details.

Lafaun

Sorry Lafaun. I should have just sent the message straight to you. I thought of it and am not sure why I did not.

I think Dave Corbin sells the replacement screw in derim punches for about 6 bucks. They are .199 in diameter.

No, this punch is not worn out. Maybe my calipers are not as accurate. The base of the punch is the same diameter as the tip.

I did contact Dave 2 months ago. He said that the die that I have has not been made for about 30 years. They now do not make the die with an insert that I have but the threaded center part that tightens on the insert (pictured above) has the de rim portion incorperated. So in a sence there is only 1 piece that goes into the die body (as of now) instead of 2 peices.

Make sence?

n.h.schmidt
03-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi UtahShooter
You have the same derim setup that I do. I have made extra punches and extra dies for this. Since the die is only a button its easy to make more for that too. No threads to cut and little good steel to waste. The punch thread seems to be some some oversized 10-32 thread. If needed, contact me and I can fix you up. As has already been mentioned a good bath with citric acid (LemiShine) and dish soap in very hot water will clean out at least most of the primer grit.I don't have a ultra sonic cleaner ,so I can't say about that.
n.h.schmidt

gabe123
03-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Utah, the reason you did not send the message directly to LaFaun and posted here is so that everyone could benefit from this type of imformation. Thank You.