PDA

View Full Version : Sks sights

siamese4570
01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Trying to decide what to do with my Sks. The standard sights leave a lot to be desired with my over fifty eyes. Tried tech sights but didn't like the fact that you could not clean the rifle without dissembling the sights. Next stop is either the mojo sights or the scout scope mounts. Just as soon not scope it but I would like to be able to shoot groups. Vs shooting patterns. What's been your experience?

Siamese4570

twotoescharlie
01-15-2012, 06:05 PM
get a bore snake.

TTC

ElDorado
01-16-2012, 01:56 AM
I put a Williams peep sight on mine years ago for the same reason. It's a lot easier to see through than the original sight.

Here's their current sight. I don't know if it's the same one I have, but it looks quite similar.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458953/williams-wsks-aperture-sight-aluminum-black

Jeff

Rico1950
01-17-2012, 01:04 AM
I had the same problem. Bought the Tec sight front sight only (much thinner) and put a dab of flouresent orange paint on the tip. Works much better, now I can see.

o6Patient
01-06-2013, 08:50 PM
My old eyes don't do open sights no so good any more either, on my sk I see two front sights
some times three... the three are easier... I just aim with the middle one.

FAsmus
01-06-2013, 10:12 PM
siamese4570;

I have one of those Tec sights.

I take it off for cleaning as you say - a quick and easy job. ~ When reassembled the rifle returns to zero perfectly every time.

Good evening,
Forrest

turtlezx
01-06-2013, 10:23 PM
scope it out----------- even with good vision the sights cover up alotta target @100 yds

i like scopes so much I even put them on bb guns! now where did that RED RIDER GO ??

DCM
01-06-2013, 10:54 PM
I had the same problem. Bought the Tec sight front sight only (much thinner) and put a dab of flouresent orange paint on the tip. Works much better, now I can see.

I was going to say a fiber optic front, but this is much more cost effective!
Thanks!

01-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Williams peep sight kit with a fiber optic front sight. Easy and they come together in one kit. No alteration to the gun. Just replace with the new parts.

imashooter2
01-06-2013, 11:13 PM
I put a Williams peep sight on mine years ago for the same reason. It's a lot easier to see through than the original sight.

Here's their current sight. I don't know if it's the same one I have, but it looks quite similar.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/458953/williams-wsks-aperture-sight-aluminum-black

Jeff

I did the same. Not as good as a receiver sight right up next to your eye, but surprisingly effective.

Ed in North Texas
01-07-2013, 06:40 PM
siamese4570;

I take it off for cleaning as you say - a quick and easy job. ~ When reassembled the rifle returns to zero perfectly every time.

Good evening,
Forrest

That is why I sprung for the Tech Sight - the Surplus review guy said they did return to zero, or so close that a couple of clicks windage was all it was off. I'll find out when I get it mounted. Geeez, need another round tuit.

Ed

dnepr
01-07-2013, 07:16 PM
siamese4570;

Good evening,
Forrest

That has been my experience . I bought a case of corrosive milsurp so mine has been on and off lots

Multigunner
01-07-2013, 07:20 PM
A stopgap method for high visibility sights is one used by an IRA sniper many years ago. The British could not figure out how he was making what had to be snap shots at moving men in near darkness with an M1Carbine, and had assumed he had a night scoped M3 or similar night scope.

What he had done was paint the rear of the front sight blade white, then taped a old style penlight to the barrel with the lens taped over so that only a small apeture let a dim gleam of light hit the front sight. The rest was just a matter of expert shooting skills.

Smallest flashlight I own at the moment it a super tiny miniature that is part of a pocket knife I received as a gift. The light is about 3/16" diameter and maybe 5/8" long. It still throws a pretty good beam, usful for finding a keyhole on a dark night.
I had a tiny LED light that was mounted on a velcro ring, meant to be worn on a finger to illuminate keyholes in car doors and such. It could be fitted to a pen or pencil for writting in the dark.
Unfortunately those were not well made, otherwise they'd be perfect for strapping to a rifle barrel.

nicholst55
01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
I bought one of the scope mounts that replaces the receiver cover several years ago. It required a little filing to get a good fit, which is certainly better than having the opposite problem - being too loose! I placed a large diameter red dot sight on it, and have been shooting it that way since then. I like it a lot, and I can quickly return it to original if I so desire.