PDA

View Full Version : LBT lead tester?

gandydancer
01-15-2012, 04:26 PM
LBT HARDNESS TESTER
has any one worked with one of the LBT hardness testers? and what did you think about it? is it as good as a carbine tree?? thanks. gandy

Firebricker
01-15-2012, 04:59 PM
I've got one and it works very well it's fast and repeatable. I haven't used a cabin tree but they get excellent reviews and look very well made. FB

R.M.
01-15-2012, 05:18 PM
There are pros and cons to all of them. How easy is it to use, how large a piece can fit in it, do you need extra equipment needs to be used, are charts needed, etc. I've used the Lee and LBT. The LBT is my go-to tester. No fuss, no muss. No charts. Just read it. It does have size limitations, but my feeling is I care what the bullet tests as, and that works for me. I've heard good and bad things about all of them, so it's up to you to decide.

engineer401
01-15-2012, 05:20 PM
I have the CabineTree tester. It is solid and well built. Like the LBT model it is reasonably priced and easy to operate. I bought mine because it has a large easy to read gauge and it appeared to be sturdy. I strongly recommend the CabineTree tester. I wouldn't own any other.

Bret4207
01-16-2012, 08:14 AM
IIRC the LBT and Cabine Tree are about the same price. The LBT is simpler to use, but more limited and there have been reports of the occaisional one being well off accuracy-wise. The Cabine Tree is certainly more rugged, sophisticated and heavy, but it also takes a bit more effort to get your reading. Both are light years ahead of anything else.

cbrick
01-16-2012, 08:06 PM
I'm lazy so use the LBT. Just put a bullet in it, press down, release, read the BHN number. No microscopes, charts etc needed.

The LBT is limited in the size by design. If your checking an Sb alloy what will determine the alloy's final BHN is the rate of cooling, a 200 gr bullet (as an example) will cool off far faster than a 1 pound ingot and the two will give different values when cast of the same alloy, even more so if you wait a week or so to test them.

What matters the most to me is repeatability/consistency and they all seem to be fairly good in this regard so . . . How easy is it to use?

Rick

bobthenailer
01-17-2012, 09:09 AM
I have used the saeco in the past, it was a friends . and bought a LBT tester when they first came out . out of those two i prefer the LBT tester .

MtGun44
01-18-2012, 02:21 AM
I have an LBT, like it, seems to give consistent numbers and seems to match what known
alloys are supposed to be.

Bill

bpratl
01-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Is the LBT tester still available? I can not seem to find a supplier.

PbHurler
01-18-2012, 08:49 AM
Bob,
Here they are: http://lbtmoulds.com/hardtester.shtml

bpratl
01-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Bob,
Here they are: http://lbtmoulds.com/hardtester.shtml

Thanks for the link.

Lloyd Smale
01-19-2012, 06:13 AM
ive had a seaco and a lbt and now have a cabin tree. that should say what i prefer.