PDA

View Full Version : moonshine recipes

grisy11
01-15-2012, 03:42 PM
any one have a good moonshine or wisky recipe

felix
01-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Virgin white oak casks required; triple distilled sugar water (corn syrup) with extreme distillation temperature controls (PID). Thow away the first 1/2 hours worth, first pass. Yeast nutrients required for high yield type yeasts. ... felix

c3d4b2
01-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Thow away the first 1/2 hours worth

I recently ran across this advice and the reason given was that the 1st alcohol to distil is poisonous.

duke76
01-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Yah i heard that too, I dont remeber if it was wood ethyl alcohol or methanol but either way I think it makes you go blind

uncle jed
01-16-2012, 01:19 AM
I have a book. the title is "Moonshine", by Matthew B. Rowley. this is an interesting and funny book. it has articles and stories from history, along with still plans and instructions. there are many recipes and photos and illustrations. i have tried a couple of recipes which worked and would have been better if my still was better sealed. uncle jed

shotman
01-16-2012, 01:33 AM
NO the first part is still good. just keep it and add to next batch. It is the "cleaning" part It most likely will be about 180 proof. about a pint. then the temp will stabilize.

uncle jed
01-16-2012, 02:56 AM
according to the book anything from app. 174 degrees to 205 degrees is safe, but the best is from app. 180 to 200 degrees

Dirty30
01-16-2012, 03:04 AM
You start seeing a little methanol around 160 degrees. You have to be carefull because the temp in your cap and still are usually different. Once you reach 174 in your cap you are making real party likker. Throw out everything before that just to be safe. When your boil starts to get down your heat will probably get a little higher and you will start to get a little propanol and condensed water. That's your backins. Save that to fill your thump keg on the next batch. The best likker is the middle of the boil.

shotman
01-16-2012, 09:00 AM
As for the mix. This is for 5gal of liquid to run. 10 lb cracked corn , 8 lbs sugar, 1/2 lb barley tosted. and Last the yeast.
The yeast is most important and you will have to order it
the cracked corn , need to make sure you get cracked corn and not half cobs. sugar dont matter
the barley can be a problem getting small amounts.
you need a sealed 7gal ferminter
boil 4 gal of water-tap water is fine- and add to corn. any of the cob and trash will float
you can do 2 things with the barley 1 soak it over night and then run in a blender
drain and toast in the oven. 2 buy it all ready toasted
add that to corn.
next boil 1 gal water and add the sugar mix till disolved
let cool to about 80* and add the yeast. and set it where temps going to stay near 80 to 85*
with the liquor yeast it takes about 5 days .
when it stops working drain off the liquid. and let stand for couple hrs covered
You need to run it then. leave as much settlement behind as you can
If you are going to do another batch ,have your water boiled and cool and add it to the mash and 8 lbs suger and replace air lock.
You can reuse about 3 times and dont have to add yeast
you can get the stuff you need from Brewhaus
they have a PDF catalog
Grape&Grainery has the tosted barley and have the best fermenter I have seen

felix
01-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Shotman's technique is called Sour Mash. ... felix

grisy11
01-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks for all the replys.Can i make it for my self and not to sell with out getting into trouble

waksupi
01-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for all the replys.Can i make it for my self and not to sell with out getting into trouble

No. Look for the related thread that was posted last week.

Moonman
01-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Distilling Alcohol for yourself could lead to free room and board, compliments of your Government.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

grisy11
01-16-2012, 11:54 AM
lol ok then i gess i will not be doing that then.Thanks every one

Dirty30
01-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Look for a homebrew shop in your area. They are pretty common and will sell a wide variety yeast and malted barley. Plain ol' American 2 Row should be fine.

shotman
01-16-2012, 06:52 PM
there is WAY more to it than making the mash and 10 years making trash
all I posted is to let you know some of the stuff. Rest is the so called secret

gwpercle
01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
My buddy came back from a wedding in West Virginia with a couple jars of shine, never having tasted it before I was eager to sample the stuff. After removing the cap it smelled pretty good. I took a small sip and it tasted good and after a few more sips it tasted realy good. Nice and smooth, I liked it .
In contrast we bought some in Texas , legaly in a liquor store, from Tenn. and boy that stuff was NASTY. Tasted and smelled like rubbing alcohol.
The reason I mention this is shotman is from West Virigina and those folks must know the secret to making good shine so listen to his advice.
I know that as the head of a household you can legaly make beer and wine ( up to 300 gals. I think ) but the distallation of spirits might be another matter. And as we all know none of us would do anything against the law. My feelings are if you make a little for strictly medicinal purposes , and didn't sell it, it would be O. K.
Maybe somebody could post plans for making a small still, I've always wanted to try making it just don't know how.

Rick N Bama
01-17-2012, 07:41 PM
In contrast we bought some in Texas , legaly in a liquor store, from Tenn. and boy that stuff was NASTY. Tasted and smelled like rubbing alcohol.

Can you tell me where it was made, brand name, etc? I've had 2 made legally in TN & I'll have to say that both are really good.

#1 was made on the main drag in Gatlinburg (Gatlinburg Distillery?) & the other is PopCorn Sutton's Recipe now made legally in Nashville. Hank Williams Jr. is the $$$ behind that venture. If that is truly Popcorn's recipe then that man knew how to make some more good shine!

I've only tasted backwoods shine two times in my life & both were awful in my uneducated opinion.

Rick

375RUGER
01-17-2012, 07:49 PM
No. Look for the related thread that was posted last week.

Where's the thread?
What's the difference between brewing you own beer for personal comsumption and distilling your own liquor for personal comsumption?

waksupi
01-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Where's the thread?
What's the difference between brewing you own beer for personal comsumption and distilling your own liquor for personal comsumption?

10 years in Federal prison. :-P

Flinchrock
01-17-2012, 09:19 PM
10 years in Federal prison. :-P

Yep,,, that's about it,,,just because Folks like us think things are reasonable and logical,,,don't mean they do....

Houndog
01-17-2012, 09:39 PM

What you are describing is what you get when you mix the firsts and thirds together. My Grandpa used to call that popskull likker. He was a moonshiner back when it was an honorable profession and was a GOOD friend of Popcorn Sutton. Making GOOD moonshine is an art form ! EVERYTHING from what kind of Corn you use, what type Yeast, Sugar, what kind of water, what your still is made of,how it's made, how you handle the beer, what kind of container you ferment the beer in and whether you overheat your still must ALL come together to make good likker or you wind up with something resembling paint thinner someone trys to pass off as Moonshine.

Every moonshiner that makes good likker guards his,or her recipe better than a gooberment top secret file! You will come closer to getting the recipe for Coca Cola!

waksupi
01-18-2012, 02:33 AM
There is a lot more to it than knowing a recipe. You had better be well aware of fusil oils, and other alcohols being produced. Some of them are deadly.

gwpercle
01-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Rick

The stuff we bought was Shine On Georgia Moon brand, corn whiskey, less than 30 days old, 80 proof. Johnson Distilling Co. , Bardstown, Kentucky.

Even though its called " Georgia Moon " it appears to come from Kentucky. It comes in a mason jar with a one piece screw-on lid and the stuff is clear as water.

The jar is at my brothers house in Texas so I had to wait till he got off work to get the info. He smelled it and verified the rubbing alcohol smell, he still wouldn't taste it.

He is going to put the jar away so when we celebrate New Years next year at his place we'll see if 1 year of aging improves the taste.

I knew it wasn't made by Popcorn, I would have recognized his name from T.V. No this is probably more like Rotgut.

waksupi
01-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Rick

The stuff we bought was Shine On Georgia Moon brand, corn whiskey, less than 30 days old, 80 proof. Johnson Distilling Co. , Bardstown, Kentucky.

Even though its called " Georgia Moon " it appears to come from Kentucky. It comes in a mason jar with a one piece screw-on lid and the stuff is clear as water.

The jar is at my brothers house in Texas so I had to wait till he got off work to get the info. He smelled it and verified the rubbing alcohol smell, he still wouldn't taste it.

He is going to put the jar away so when we celebrate New Years next year at his place we'll see if 1 year of aging improves the taste.

I knew it wasn't made by Popcorn, I would have recognized his name from T.V. No this is probably more like Rotgut.

For that store bought whiskey take some coffee filters, and activated charcoal. Filter it a half dozen times, and it will smooth out considerably.

Katya Mullethov
01-18-2012, 09:11 PM
For that store bought whiskey take some coffee filters, and activated charcoal. Filter it a half dozen times, and it will smooth out considerably.

Or just re-distill it and make proper cuts . A clean ferment and tight cuts are where the quality is . One might (if they lived in New Zealand) make a mash containing 10-18% ETOH , but maybe only 20-30% of the middle of the run wont smell like nail polish or wet dog . Maybe that's why they call it tails ? :)

There are lots of little details that make distilling very similar to reloading . Relatively simple , but endlessly complicated . And you get to choose just how complicated it needs to be . If you do it right the first time , you dont need a barrel to make it taste right ! lol

"""What's the difference between brewing you own beer for personal comsumption and distilling your own liquor for personal comsumption? """

Jimmy Carter (holding hat in hands ) bless his heart , allowed us to make up to
100 gallons of beer and wine per household , 200 if there is more than one adult living there that would be TAX FREE . But to distill one drop is both illegal and immoral

There is no methanol in a sugar wash . There is more methanol in a glass of orange juice than a 10 gallon rum wash . Illiterates and nit wits confuse methanol and ethanol ,and in doing so killing many to this very day in the third wiorld . But the "boosting" moonshine with methanol , and poison moonshine stories of old are exactly like the iron river of guns fueling border violence meme of today . And not suprisingly , it came from the same people , and for the same reasons . See : The Chemist wars .

Finster101
01-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Rick

You can let it sit in that jar the next 30 years. Whiskey does not age in a bottle. White oak is the key. My dad made those barrels for 35 years. Distilleries they were sold to include Jack Daniels and Makers Mark.

jimkim
01-18-2012, 09:42 PM
You can age it in a jar, but you will need to do it right.
1. Add a piece of charred wood(cherrywood is great) to the jar. 1" x 1" x 6" per quart, small batches are easier to control.
2. Put it somewhere away from light for six months.
3. After six months take it out, pop the seal and sit it in the sun for a few hours.

All of this was shared with me by an ole timer. Now you can share it too.

He liked a 50/50 sugar/sour mash blend.

wv109323
01-18-2012, 10:56 PM
As the thread indicates, Moonshine is quite common in WV. Back when I was in school you had to make shine and pass a test before they let you graduate to the sixth grade.
Not that bad but I had to walk about 400 yards to the East to buy moonshine and about a mile and a half to the west. That is true.
The Federals never bothered the bootleggers around where I grew up. I lived near the corner of four counties ( Kanawha, Clay, Nicholas and Fayette). There was a family there that made it in one county, stored it in another county and sold it in another county. I rode the bus with their kids everday till they got old enough to quit.
Later in life one of the boys I went to school with got into the logging business. He was doing well till he cut a tree down and it landed on his bulldozer. Back to shining.

Rick N Bama
01-19-2012, 07:29 AM
Rick

I've not seen that brand myself, but I did buy a bottle of "Dixie Dew" that I imagine is very similar. It was pure Rotgut, cheap, and just about undrinkable!

Rick

Geraldo
01-19-2012, 08:24 AM
You can let it sit in that jar the next 30 years. Whiskey does not age in a bottle. White oak is the key. My dad made those barrels for 35 years. Distilleries they were sold to include Jack Daniels and Makers Mark.

Finster is absolutely right about aging, and it's not just raw oak. Jack Daniels burns the inside of them before they are filled for aging, then they sit for 4-8 years in warehouses. According to JD, where the barrels are stored also affects the taste, with the ones on upper floors and warmer temps becoming some of their more expensive whiskeys.

If you want to read a bit about bad booze, The Poisoner's Handbook details how people died from bad liquor (and other toxic substances in common use) during Prohibition and how the government regulations on supplies used in bootlegging made it worse.

shotman
01-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Now where did you come up with the Idea that it dont age in glass?? It does for about 4 months , but you dont cut it till you are ready to drink it
If anyone can drink that Ga moon **** you would never want shine again.
there is new place in WV ,it over near the VA - WV line near the ski place. They sell it in WV and VA its good . But not the best, yet One of the partners is from this part of WV
did you read what Wv above said made it one place STORED it
in another. Good shine didnt just come from the still

Jim
01-19-2012, 09:26 AM
From Spiritjournal.com (http://www.spiritjournal.com/taste101.htm):

"Once a whiskey, brandy, white spirit or liqueur is bottled, the maturing process ceases. All maturation occurs in the oak cask or holding tank."

Geraldo
01-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Now where did you come up with the Idea that it dont age in glass?? It does for about 4 months , but you dont cut it till you are ready to drink it

Well, it will get older in glass, but the glass doesn't affect color and taste the way aging in a cask does.

Rick N Bama
01-19-2012, 01:15 PM
I once kept a Jelly Jar of "Cough Medicine" in the cabinet for about 5 years. After the "aging" it tasted just as awful as it did when it was first given to me.

Junior Johnson's "Midnight Moon" is fairly good tasting legal Shine.

Rick

gwpercle
01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Shotman,

Since this Georgia Moon corn whiskey was legal sold , it shouldn't make me go blind or poision me if I should decide to drink some, should it ? Or should I just pour it down the drain and call this a learning experience ? Now I know what the good stuff is not supposed to smell like.

I'm not going to try making any either. I thought casting and reloading could get complicated but compared to distilling , reloading is childs play.

In your last post you said " but you dont cut it till you are ready to drink it " what does that mean ? Am I supposed to do somthing before I drink some ? I dont understand the term "cut ".

Thanks for all the info.
Gary

x101airborne
01-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Shotman,

Since this Georgia Moon corn whiskey was legal sold , it shouldn't make me go blind or poision me if I should decide to drink some, should it ? Or should I just pour it down the drain and call this a learning experience ? Now I know what the good stuff is not supposed to smell like.

I'm not going to try making any either. I thought casting and reloading could get complicated but compared to distilling , reloading is childs play.

In your last post you said " but you dont cut it till you are ready to drink it " what does that mean ? Am I supposed to do somthing before I drink some ? I dont understand the term "cut ".

Thanks for all the info.
Gary

:kidding:Well, first you have to find a crowded elevator going to the top floor....:kidding:

3006guns
01-19-2012, 07:06 PM
You can brew up to 200 gallons of home made beer or make up to 200 gallons of home made wine.......been that way for years and the government will not bother you. Distilled "spirits" are another matter. The ATF (our buddies again) wants their tax stamp money and failing to provide that makes them really cranky.

Google "home made whiskey", "home distillation" or "making spirits, liquor, etc." and you'll find a lot of very GOOD advice on the subject. No old wive's tales, etc., however each site pre warns you that such activity is illegal and they bear no responsibility. Then they show you how to make mashes, various stills, one of which operates on a vaccum in the kitchen sink. Pretty simple process really. Basically you're making a strong wine, based on corn, barley, etc., letting it ferment (mash) then running it through a still to separate and recover the alcohol. Just about any fruit or vegetable will do the job. Sugar beets are a dandy due to all the natural sugars....the shine might taste a little different though.

By the way, it's wood alcohol (ethanol) that make you blind or poisons you. The product out of a typical moonshine still is methanol. Adding ethanol to moonshine will poison it (denatured) and it can then be used as motor fuel....but not on the highway unless you pay the fuel taxes. Oh, you can get a special permit for making fuel legally, but you MUST denature it and they WILL check on occasion.

They gotcha comin' or goin'........

shotman
01-19-2012, 07:38 PM
wow You all got A LOT to learn . Dont believe all you read.
DID the OLD GUYS HAVE BOOKS ????? Took me about 30yrs to get it right
I could quit work and make a good paycheck making it.
Thing is I dont drink it . so dont mess with it now .. It takes a lot of time to do right , yes I know how and dont mess with it . dont have but about 1/2 small bottle now . But I havent had any in several years.
AND jim it DOES age in glass. You reading too many books
as for Cutting
Good stuff runs about 165 to 170 proof from the still
you cant drink that. so its cut with GOOD water to around 100 proof. any less tend to get cloudy when cold .
that GA moon is run at low proof and you can smell it

torpedoman
01-19-2012, 08:02 PM
my family has made whiskey since the 1700's and grand pa had a creed "if it aint good enough for family it just aint good enough".
if you use sugar and yeast the yield will be a lot higher. if you dont the whiskey will taste just like corn on the cob. you CANNOT make anything poisonous in your still unless you are putting it in.the **** that is bad for you is added to the alcohol by government mandate they rather have you dead or blind than miss any tax revenue. The first bit will not be good tasting and should be "doubled". NO you cant make anything distilled legally, all the beer or wine you want but no still.

shotman
01-19-2012, 08:07 PM
wow someone that knows somthing

felix
01-19-2012, 08:20 PM
3006guns, reverse the ethyl with methyl in each instance and you'd be correct. You just have them backwards as posted now. ... felix

felix
01-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Yes, that which is not alcohol will age. The alcohol will NOT. What alcohol leaches out of wood WILL age. Alcohol will not leach anything out of silicon only glass. ... felix

rockrat
01-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Actually, the wood alcohol is methanol (methyl alcohol)(CH3OH)and that is the poisionous one. Its ethanol((ethyl alcohol)C2H5OH), that is in your favorite drinking beverage.

Shooternz
01-19-2012, 09:34 PM
All you Moon-shiners should migrate to God's Zone no government tax on home made booze,
http://www.spiritsandbrewing.co.nz/
:drinks:

Katya Mullethov
01-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Here ya go , the Fast and Furious prototype .

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2010/02/the_chemists_war.single.html

Monkymate
01-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Everything you want to know about Distilling on a hobby scale. This forum is it.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/

Hints:

-Use an old keg for a boiler
-Make a 2" VM style still with about 30-36" of packed scrubbers
-Look at the different washes in recipe section
-DON"T SELL any and be careful.

375RUGER
01-19-2012, 11:55 PM
OH SWEET! Thanks!

shotman
01-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Well if I leave WV may think about NZ least I wouldnt have to stir the stuff, just set it out and it would shake it.
About the glass aging. You are not ageing the Alcohol. It dont ever age .
90% have never made it . If they did they would know
From start to finsh it takes about 7 days and 48hrs of work to get 1/2 gal. on a small scale , Is that making money? That dont count the cost of the material and equipment

rockrat
01-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Went by the liquor store yesterday to see what they had. They had stuff with Junior Johnsons' name on it(clear, strawberry,cranberry,apple and cherry also), a "corn liquor" made about 40 miles from me(Cedaredge, CO), and another one.
One made near me was pretty expensive compared to the others, but we grow some pretty good corn around here, so might be good.

Jim
01-22-2012, 11:44 AM
This is reputed by many to be the absolute best legal moonshine on the market. I can tell you it is exceptionally good.

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/shine-e1327246904889.png

Finster101
01-22-2012, 11:55 AM
This is reputed by many to be the absolute best legal moonshine on the market. I can tell you it is exceptionally good.

http://floydpics.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/shine-e1327246904889.png

That bottle says it all. Moonshine is for the most part just raw whiskey. It is the aging in a charred barrel that gives whiskey it's color and taste. No I have never made it. I have had a bit of it though. Some of it real good, some of it pretty lousy.

felix
01-22-2012, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I bet the cost of manufacture would be quite low using 100 percent ADM's high fructose corn sugar. In fact, if I were a pure vodka manufacturer that is what I would use. ... felix

Chicken Thief
01-24-2012, 03:14 PM
http://www.home-distilling.com/
http://moonshine-still.com/table-of-contents/
http://www.stillcooker.com/
http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs.htm
http://partymanshop.com/en/
http://www.ibiblio.org/moonshine/make/basics.html

Some of the places i go to get inspiredhttp://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/sick.gifhttp://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Blandet/Smilere/Porterdrinker.gif

grisy11
01-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks every one for all the grate info.Im going to have to make me one of them real soon lol

HodakaGA
01-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Rick

Yesterday at our Kiwanis Club meeting the guest speaker was a fine gentleman from 13th Colony Distillery in Americus Georgia. He is a retired OB-GYN and runs the plant. He's one of 4 owners. They make special small batches of vodka, corn whiskey, gin, and have made bourbon. The bourbon won't be ready to sell for several years, it has to age. The other stuff is filtered and sold without aging. Great program and a very funny speaker.

He had nothing nice to say about the Georgia Moon ****. Gives us a bad name (Georgia whiskey makers, and folks from Georgia). It was originally distilled in Albany GA but someone bought them out, closed the plant down and moved to where they are now. He said that if it distills out, GA Moon bottles it.

He talked about casting out the heads and tails and only selling the middles (good liquor). He said they are $1.5 million invested as of now. He said it takes a bunch of $$$ to make legal whisky. They initially planned to be operating for $250,000.

They have a website, check it out at http://13colony.net/

Frank

HodakaGA
01-25-2012, 08:24 PM
I once kept a Jelly Jar of "Cough Medicine" in the cabinet for about 5 years. After the "aging" it tasted just as awful as it did when it was first given to me.

Junior Johnson's "Midnight Moon" is fairly good tasting legal Shine.

Rick

Rick, I'll never buy a drop of his stuff. Do a search for Jr. Johnson and Obama. He was a big supporter and donor.

Frank

Rick N Bama
01-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Rick, I'll never buy a drop of his stuff. Do a search for Jr. Johnson and Obama. He was a big supporter and donor.

Frank

Thanks, I didn't know that!

Rick

excess650
01-25-2012, 09:53 PM
There were a lot of Scot-Irish in the Appalachians, and that is one reason that 'shine was pretty common here. Appalachia, being mostly rural, still has its share. I'm told that my grandfather on my mother's side had a still.

I have several jars in the 'fridge' "marinating" blueberries.[smilie=w: I also have some "apple pie" and a bit more clear rye.

Denver
01-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Check out this guy; www.milehidistilling.com

grisy11
01-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Any one have any stash that thay would like to send me? i pay for it LOL

Rick N Bama
01-30-2012, 06:17 AM
My G-Grandfather made bonded Moonshine in GA for years. In 1874 he moved the family here to Alabama where he wasn't able to make it legally and I'm told that he never made it again, but I simpy have a problem believing that he hauled his still all the way from GA & never set it up.

Deeds he made for the property he bought have a stipulation in them that Whiskey could never be made, sold or consumed on the property, including deeds for the land he donated to build a Church & Cemetary:) About 2 years ago I had a phone call from a distant cousin doing some family research asking if I knew why the deeds read that way.

Rick

Geraldo
01-30-2012, 09:50 AM
My G-Grandfather made bonded Moonshine in GA for years. In 1874 he moved the family here to Alabama where he wasn't able to make it legally and I'm told that he never made it again, but I simpy have a problem believing that he hauled his still all the way from GA & never set it up.

Deeds he made for the property he bought have a stipulation in them that Whiskey could never be made, sold or consumed on the property, including deeds for the land he donated to build a Church & Cemetary:) About 2 years ago I had a phone call from a distant cousin doing some family research asking if I knew why the deeds read that way.

Rick

When I bought my house there was an old stipulation on the deed. The lawyer said that at one time stipulations against distilling were popular. The temperance movement was powerful enough to get anti-alcohol propaganda in schools, so I suppose it was a short step to get people to restrict property use.

alamogunr
01-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Back in the late '60's when we moved back to Tennessee from Michigan, the "authorities" found a still and instead of destroying it, they brought it to town and displayed it on the courthouse lawn. Sometime during the night, some individuals stole it and possibly put it back into operation. I never heard if they were caught.

From its appearance, I can't see how anyone could drink anything made in that apparatus.

Rick N Bama
01-30-2012, 05:44 PM
When I bought my house there was an old stipulation on the deed. The lawyer said that at one time stipulations against distilling were popular. The temperance movement was powerful enough to get anti-alcohol propaganda in schools, so I suppose it was a short step to get people to restrict property use.

Do you know the year the stipulation was made? I thought the temperance movement started in the early 1900's.

I just wish I knew more about what happened to my G-Grandpa's Still. In addition to his farming he, then later my Grandfather, made Sorgum Syrup for a part of their living.

Rick

44man
02-16-2012, 10:37 AM
The gov is only interested in tax money and you would need to jump through a million hoops to be legal. It has nothing at all to do with the booze, only money.
Other countries let you make anything you want and making booze is common all over the world.
If you cheat the gov out of $2, it is 10 years.
WV has a "sin tax" and I go to MD or VA to buy booze. Go to DC and booze is dirt cheap.
WV rapes us with gas taxes too.

Jim
02-16-2012, 10:48 AM
The gov is only interested in tax money and you would need to jump through a million hoops to be legal. It has nothing at all to do with the booze, only money.
Other countries let you make anything you want and making booze is common all over the world.
If you cheat the gov out of $2, it is 10 years.
WV has a "sin tax" and I go to MD or VA to buy booze. Go to DC and booze is dirt cheap.
WV rapes us with gas taxes too.

That's because WV is the second poorest state in the union (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income).

44man
02-16-2012, 12:00 PM
That's because WV is the second poorest state in the union (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income).
True. I am not from WV, had to move long ago. The problem has been democrat, liberal progressives have been in control forever. They keep getting voted in. You would not believe some of my neighbors, they are stoned cold brain dead.
We have many republicans here in the eastern panhandle that escaped the DC and VA area but we are never enough.
It is hard when you see someone on food stamps with $300 worth of groceries in the check out line.
Go to emergency and you might bleed to death while the free care is taken care off.
This is a give me state.
The reason the fiscal state of the state has been good is from the taxes charged. I am retired on SS and a low pension yet have to pay every year. Real estate for my home has gone from $235 to many thousands. Then a food tax.
We have Charles Town races and slots here but all the money goes to Charleston.
We have good people and hard workers but we are out numbered.

grisy11
02-16-2012, 12:13 PM
I hate going to the store to buy food here in VT or NH.Every time im in the store i see alot of people with 2 or 3 carts full of junk food and 3 or 4 kids running around.I can spend $100 and that will go me for along time but i have to go out and make that money to its not given to me for free