PDA

View Full Version : Made up a batch of lube today, should not have changed the % of the makings in cool w

Hang Fire
01-15-2012, 03:38 AM
I normally make my lube 70% coconut butter, 30% beeswax and it lubes good through the #45 in cooler weather. But today I went 50/50 with a tablespoon of Mobil 1 syn oil. In the mid 60s here today and made a hot pour in the #45, was hard when it set up and could not lube without a 100 watt light bulb and aluminum foil warming the #45. I thought a little Mobil 1 would mitigate the 50/50 mix somewhat, but it never worked out that way. Got a good stick in the boolit lube grooves and should be good to go better than my 70/30 mix comes the 120 degree weather.

cajun shooter
01-15-2012, 11:37 AM
The heat and humidity of the Louisiana summers have a great effect on even the best of lubes.
I have used the NASA lube made by Bullshop for quite a while now and consider it better than SPG for BP shooting. I also have made my own lube which works very well also.
I have to add a little more beeswax or paraffin to the NASA to keep it firm enough in the summer.
I have also started to add Carnuba WAX flakes to my lube for hardening and barrel treatment. It works better than the extra beeswax or paraffin.
Randy Rat sells it on the forum for a very good price. It only requires a tablespoon or so per pound of lube.

Hang Fire
01-15-2012, 01:31 PM
I have some Jax Wax which is supposed to have a very high Carnuba content, might try ading some in a batch.

The 70/30 mix I started using, although not hard, will not get soft and melt in hot weather. That hydrogenated coconut butter for popcorn is something else, it remains soft but firm at 125 degrees or even higher temps.