PDA

View Full Version : Lyman handle help!!!!!!!

1911fan
01-14-2012, 10:05 PM
I just bought new Lyman handles to go on a single cavity mold I just got used. The handles will not let the molds close so the mold is all the way together! there is a gap. Has anyone had this happen? can I shave some wood off the handles to allow for the mold to close all the way???? The new handles say for use with newer single and double cavity molds. Guess I have an older mold.

swamp
01-14-2012, 10:36 PM
When it says for newer single cavity moulds, its the newer singles are made with double cavity blocks. You need the single cavity handles for the old single cavity blocks.

You might try Lee 6 cavity handles. I just did a quick chek and the Lee handles work on one of my old singles. And they are a lot cheaper than the Lyman.

1911fan
01-14-2012, 11:05 PM
well I already bought these handles, so I gotta make them work. They are just barely separated, so I guess I am gonna sand down the end of the handles so they no longer touch and that should close the molds.

happy7
01-15-2012, 12:17 PM
I hate to see you deface those handles. I can probably come up with a set of Lyman single cavity handles if you want to trade. If you are interested I will go out to my shop and check.

Wally
01-15-2012, 12:21 PM
I just bought new Lyman handles to go on a single cavity mold I just got used. The handles will not let the molds close so the mold is all the way together! there is a gap. Has anyone had this happen? can I shave some wood off the handles to allow for the mold to close all the way???? The new handles say for use with newer single and double cavity molds. Guess I have an older mold.

I had the same thing happen---I had to use a silicon-carbide knife sharpening stone on it..it worked out just fine. Be sure to grease them after you use them or they will rust. I can give you more info if you'd like...as to how to best do this. You will not ruin the Lyman handles.

1911fan
01-15-2012, 01:20 PM
I hate to see you deface those handles. I can probably come up with a set of Lyman single cavity handles if you want to trade. If you are interested I will go out to my shop and check.

too late, already fixed them. I just fired up the table ginder and tapered the inside of the handles, they look fine and now they function.

as to greasing them after use, any info I can get as to the maintenance of these molds would be great, I am only used to Lee molds and they are pretty much maintenance free except for putting some gun oil on the steel parts.

1911fan
01-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Now I am about to brave 20 degree garage temps to try the new mold and handles out.