View Full Version : Taylor throat

white eagle
01-14-2012, 09:33 PM
can you tell me about Taylor throats
I have heard the term but that is it
curious :lovebooli

Lefty SRH
01-14-2012, 10:02 PM
If I have my info correct: It a mod made to the barrel (free bore, slightly larger than the bore diameter) just after the forcing cone of a revolver. The length of the free bore is eaqual to or just slightly more than the diameter of the bullet. For a .44mag it would be .430-ish long. It supposedly reduces leading, will reduce your velocity aswell, but will improve accuracy. It give the bullet a little more time to get situated in the barrel before it contacts the lands.

What gun do you have in mind?

white eagle
01-14-2012, 10:07 PM
a super blackhawk

nicholst55
01-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Lefty is correct on Taylor Throating. It is intended to eliminate 'thread choke' or a constriction caused by the receiver threads. Another method of eliminating this constriction is by fire-lapping.

Lefty SRH
01-14-2012, 11:44 PM
a super blackhawk

What are not happy with about the gun?

stubshaft
01-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Usually a firelapped barrel that has a very gentle leade. IIRC - There was a company that would ream it into the barrel also.

white eagle
01-15-2012, 12:45 AM
What are not happy with about the gun?

just thinking out loud is all:p

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2012, 06:58 AM
the idea of a taylor throat is two part first its to make a funnel shapped ( for no better words) forcing cone that allows the bullet to align itself with the barrel as it enters and secondly to eliminate throat constrictions. My experience with it is this. I have 4 guns that ive had it done to. two were good shooting guns for the start and i did it more as a test to see what the results woud be and in both accuracy didnt get any better. Both guns did shoot as well but it did change what the gun like as to a favorite load. the other two guns were sloppy rugers that werent exceptional shooters. One shot much better and one shot a bit better. Both though were alot more consistant across the board. Before hand they might have had one load tht shot 2 inch at 25 yards but it took alot of load developement. Afterward they were at least good consistant 2 inch guns with about any load. One of them shoots one inch with a couple differnt loads. So ill say this. Dont expect miricles from it. It will help a poorly fit up gun shot a bit better but dont waste your money if your gun does even fairly well as it is. =white eagle;1545277]can you tell me about Taylor throats
I have heard the term but that is it
curious :lovebooli[/QUOTE]

Markbo
01-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Up at 4:58 Lloyd? Can't sleep?

white eagle
01-15-2012, 02:15 PM
up hunting no doubt

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2012, 05:57 PM
nope im an early to bed early to rise kind of guy.