01-14-2012, 09:32 PM
with the 44 magnum
what is the longest range you would consider the 44 mag
useful with hunting weight boolits
being that handguns and more or less punch presses
does that affect your range ?

freedom475
01-14-2012, 10:49 PM
My 44 that I have set up strictly for big game hunting is a SuperBlackHawk Bisley Hunter.

I have a 2x6 busnell Elete scope on it.

I load it to 1500fps with 265gr GC Keith and I have it sighted to zero at 150 yards. This puts me just over 5"high at it highest point (100yards) and 12" low at its 200 yards. With the Busnell on 6X, the point of the duplex is dead on at 200 yards. This combo (and a lot of practice) lets me shoot out to 200yards without a problem. I shoot lots of milk jugs and the practice really pays off.

I find that this is the best range to sight in the scoped 44...As you can see I am dropping 12" in 50yards on the tail end of the ballistic arch...

burntpowder
01-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Witnessed longest handgun shot I've every heard of was Elmer Keith shooting a wounded Elk, Bull, range was close to six hundred yards. Elmer was guiding a client who wounded the Elk with a 300 mag. Elk was moving Elmer waited until client was reloading when he fired two shots with his 44 mag I think I remember the pistol having a six inch barrel, others here may remember, both shots went through the front shoulder about six inches apart. I used to train men to shoot handguns and required them to put seventy rounds out of one hundred rounds fired into a 55 gal metal barrel at five hundred yards. I,ve many times hit jack rabbits around the 100yd mark. That being said .I,ve shot three deer with my 357 all under fifty yards except for one round I fired at a running buck at about 100 yards. Two does were DRT the buck took first round just behind front shoulder went into high speed panic run I got lucky with that second shot he went home with me.

wills
01-14-2012, 11:25 PM
The Shot(s)

http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=34

44man
01-15-2012, 11:59 AM
I stay at 100 yards or less, much, much less and prefer 20 yards or under.
The reason is a deer looks very small out there and I don't have a rest or scope, just a red dot.
You can extend distance with a rest and scope but then you lose energy with the .44.
The farther you shoot a deer, the harder it is to find the exact spot to start tracking from. I do not condone long range shots with the .44, it is a stunt or like Elmer did, try to stop an animal already hit.
I sight for 75 yards and the boolit will drop 35" at 200. Lighter, faster boolits drop less but lose energy faster. Leave it alone, it is not ethical.

white eagle
01-15-2012, 07:37 PM
what does ethics have to do with hunting
no seriously
as long as we do not rely on shock at impact
a hole is all we have
maybe I am wrong

runfiverun
01-15-2012, 09:11 PM
i don't usually use a handgun but i do use the 44 and 45 at about the same velocities mentioned above.
i am closer to 44 man's estimates of effective ranges.
i use either16, 20 or 24" bbls [ have all three lengths in both calibers]
and can hit deer sized vitals to much further ranges [turkeys and 3/4 sized rams at 150 and 200 meters]
it's still a matter of energy tranfer [internal damage] as much as the two holes,stabilization,and straight line penetration.

subsonic
01-15-2012, 09:41 PM
I am reluctant to get in on this one. Closer is better obviously.

Ethics are a slippery slope.
Ask PETA or The Humane Society of the United States what is ethical when hunting.
Then ask an indiginous person that is living off of wild game (can't just run to the grocery store for meat fresh from the feed lot).

Whatever you can personally accomplish and feel comfortable with is the answer.

subsonic
01-15-2012, 09:44 PM
I would think that the range at which the .44 becomes iffy is the range where impact velocity has dropped below about 800fps with hunting weight boolits. But that sucker is dropping like a rock by then... Which would make range estimation and sight adjustment or holdover very critical.

white eagle
01-15-2012, 09:59 PM
we all know that everyone has their own set
of parameters for what makes a long range shot
all I am asking is what your personal opinion is
I will not judge anyone for their thoughts
nor am I seeking approval for it
just what do you think is long range with a 44
that is all
sorry if I opened up old wounds for some

98Redline
01-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Point blank range on a pretty hot 300gr load is right about 120yards. I would say that is probably the max distance you should be looking to shoot, purely from an energy standpoint.

From the ethics standpoint, you are on your own with that one, however I don't think I would consider a shot longer than 75 if I was shooting offhand, 100 if I had a rest.

BOOM BOOM
01-16-2012, 12:51 AM
HI,
I am real comfortable with my 44 out to 66yds., past that I am uncomfortable now.
That said I have killed 3 deer when I was much younger at 75-100yds. with the old Ruger SBH THAT I TRADED OFF.:groner::Fire::Fire:

Alan
01-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Depends on what you are hunting. On deer, what range can you CONSISTENTLY hit an 8" circle, every shot. The limitation is not the gun, or the bullet. How far can you hit. Factory 240gr will kill a deer at a quarter mile, no problem.

44man
01-16-2012, 09:54 AM
I see a great difference at longer ranges in how fast a deer starts to bleed and how far it goes. I use 300 to 330 gr boolits in my SBH. Deer shot close rarely go 30 yards with huge blood trails.
Hit in the same place, double lung shots, at around 100 yards, they can go 50 yards before I find blood and might go 100 yards or more.
I really see a difference in internal damage from more energy.
They are out of sight in seconds and I have had to go back to where I shot from many times to pick out exactly where the deer was and where it went if it was a long shot.
You can poke a hole through a deer at 500 meters, no doubt. But drop really increases fast and so much energy is lost you just have a small, clean hole, like a stick poke.
I use a 10" barrel because it is my old IHMSA gun and for much over 100 yards I would want a longer barrel.
My ethics comes in because you can lose deer if you stretch the gun to it's limits. Nothing at all to do with accuracy or how far anyone can hit, just energy lost.
Some will say shot placement but after years watching others shoot 200 meter rams at IHMSA with a .44, most better shoot deer at 20 yards! :mrgreen: I doubt more then one in a thousand can hit the ram in the shoulder every shot but if you watch the wind blow a boolit so far I needed to aim at the next ram in line to hit mine and the amount of sight adjustment needed, you are in for a real surprise.

felix
01-16-2012, 10:26 AM
You are in a big surprise on how wind affects projectiles, even at 50 yards!!! ... felix

BOOM BOOM
01-16-2012, 06:04 PM
HI,
Thanks for the posts on wind drift.
Most of us do not judge wind drift very well.:Fire::Fire:

tek4260
01-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Sometimes things go wrong, no matter what the yardage. And like was said earlier in the thread, you better be able to tell where the deer was at the shot to find blood.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=135993

Lloyd Smale
01-17-2012, 05:30 AM
shot a couple does out to 125 but thats stretching it in my opinion. I like to normaly keep my shots with a open sighted revolver to 75 or less. With a scope i might change that to a 100 but in my opinion thats about it for any revolver on live game. No doubt the 44 has the power to push to 150 but theres just to many variables in the field to INSURE accurate bullet placement out that far.

dale2242
01-17-2012, 08:50 AM
I`m with alan.
Your effective range with a 44 mag. is what ever distance you can keep ALL your shots in a paper plate.
I had killed many blacktail bucks with my SBH with open sights. I limited my shots to 50-75yds. I never lost a deer with the 44 hit solidly at these ranges. ....dale

44man
01-17-2012, 10:10 AM
HI,
Thanks for the posts on wind drift.
Most of us do not judge wind drift very well.:Fire::Fire:
It is hard. I would aim into the wind for the first shot and still did not get it right and hit the ram in the butt. Still counts, it went down but it took another shot or two to center.
Butt shot deer are no good!
All of you know I shoot revolvers to 500 meters (547 yards) and hit steel but I need walked into the steel by a good spotter before I start hitting consistently.
Anyone that can hit the first shot with a revolver at longer ranges belongs on TV as being super human. :bigsmyl2:
Even Elmer with his famous shot had to walk in shots. He would have never hit if hits were not seen in the dirt. Go read his account.
Even Bob Munden shoots a lot. Look at his hands, they are black. How many shots did he take before hitting at the long ranges and recording it. I bet he had to walk in first to find his aim point.
Single shots with rifle calibers, powerful scopes, are easier with flat trajectories and less drift.
Anyone says they hit at long, long range with a .44 has to come over. I will set a gallon jug at 200 and if hit with the first shot, I will buy lunch and beer. [smilie=s:

white eagle
01-17-2012, 12:16 PM
whats for lunch
what kind of beer
just setting it str8 for any takers

pdawg_shooter
01-17-2012, 12:40 PM
I hunt with a 6" blue model 29, factory sights. 75yds is max for me and if it is not a broadside shot I limit myself to 50yds. I prefer to HUNT and STALK to less than 50yds all the time if possible.

44man
01-17-2012, 01:14 PM
whats for lunch
what kind of beer
just setting it str8 for any takers
Deer or moose. Home made beer that is ready to keg right now.

44man
01-17-2012, 01:16 PM
I hunt with a 6" blue model 29, factory sights. 75yds is max for me and if it is not a broadside shot I limit myself to 50yds. I prefer to HUNT and STALK to less than 50yds all the time if possible.
Perfect! Want to know how to fool deer so they think you are just a deer? :bigsmyl2:

pdawg_shooter
01-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Perfect! Want to know how to fool deer so they think you are just a deer? :bigsmyl2:

That is why it is called hunting not SHOOTING. Learn to stalk within range. Takes time, patience, and practice. EARN your game and you will remember the hunt as a hunt, not just the shot you took.

white eagle
01-17-2012, 02:52 PM
That is why it is called hunting not SHOOTING. Learn to stalk within range. Takes time, patience, and practice. EARN your game and you will remember the hunt as a hunt, not just the shot you took.
nonsense :Fire:

JayinAZ
01-17-2012, 03:00 PM

Easy, wear a deer skin with head and antlers! Of course, you might get shot....:bigsmyl2:

44man
01-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Easy, wear a deer skin with head and antlers! Of course, you might get shot....:bigsmyl2:
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: Do you know how true that is? I was at a primitive hunt in Ohio one time and there was a black man with a deer hide over him creeping through a field. Good hunters that seen it and did not shoot his butt.

pdawg_shooter
01-17-2012, 06:04 PM

Guess so, for shooters. When I started hunting scopes were for rich people, fellow had to learn to HUNT or do without.

white eagle
01-17-2012, 07:12 PM

nah ya just gotta walk around with alot of doe :holysheep

PacMan
01-17-2012, 07:22 PM

Not nonsense at all.
There are a lot more deer shooting now days than deer hunting.
Take away the deer blinds and feeders and 500 yard rifles and see what the sucess ratio is.

Young ones are raised to shoot animals not hunt them now days.If most had to hunt the way i was raised the deer population would be higher than it is now.

Shooting mostly that is for sure.

Sorry about the rant but fact is fact.
Dwight

Rico1950
01-17-2012, 10:34 PM
+1 Dwight. Pick up a long bow or recurve and try to get a deer. You'll learn how to hunt or it'll be a long long time before you connect.

white eagle
01-17-2012, 11:46 PM

its a joke fellas lighten up

69daytona
01-17-2012, 11:59 PM
I use to shoot my Dan Wesson 44mag off the 200 yard line while teaching at 29 palms marine corps base. off hand single handed could keep 6 rounds in a 5" circle in the X ring with my hand loads.
I use to shoot this gun at least 1000 rounds a month. I dont think I would go past 200 yards for a sure kill.

41mag
01-18-2012, 06:44 AM
With the load I am shooting in my Redhawk now I wouldn't push a shot on a deer past 50yds, or a hog past 75yds.

With the one I was shooting 18-20yrs back, I would easily bump that out to 100 for the deer. Since then however, I have dropped the 4x Leupold off it, and also dropped the fire breathing loads as well.

I know this was stated as a 44 magnum post, but as a comparison, I shoot my 41 about twice or more as often as my 44. The load I shoot is not top end but has proved itself time and time again on the feral hogs we hunt out to a tad over 100yds. I don't know why it works so well but it will simply put the hammer down on them time and time again not only from my revolver but my friends as well. It is simply 20.5grs of 296 under the Remington 200gr SJHP. It runs a modest 1350 from both of our revolvers, and sighted POA at 50yds still shoots plenty flat at 100 that if you hold off hair you shoot right over them.

This said, and just using the 41 load as a comparison, I would personally not hesitate to shoot a deer with a different and more accurate load from my 44 at 100yds, using something in the 240 - 280gr range with a WFN, or possibly the Remington 240gr SJHP starting off at around 1400 or so fps. I realize that most JHP have their limitations, but I have used this particular one enough on hogs and had others who used my handloads with it on deer, to know it does do a number on them. Right now I simply do not have anything worked up, that in my opinion would allow me to consciously shoot a deer past the previously mentioned 50yds.

I may be a bit demanding with my accuracy and loads, but if I cannot shoot a free hand group of around 2" at 50yds then I don't mess with it. I am not saying I am anything special, but I practice enough, and hunt with these revolvers enough that this has simply become my standard. Rested groups at 25 and 50yds are good, but don't do for squat where we hunt. My last handgun hog, was 87yds kneeling and elbow rested on one knee with my factory sighted 454.

44man
01-18-2012, 09:56 AM
No doubt at all the revolver can be shot with tremendous accuracy. The most hunting I enjoy is tracking in snow, the revolver is ideal for that.
I used to gripe back in Ohio when there was no snow and it is worse here by Harpers Ferry. I had snow in season maybe 3 times in 25 years. [smilie=b:
I tried spot and stalk with only a little luck, whitetails are tough to move in on so I figured out how to fool them. They will relax and many come to me. One day archery hunting I had 17 feeding around me as close as 15 yards. My bow broke a few days earlier and I had to order another. I ran to Wall Mart and bought a cheap bear compound. It was so slow with a huge arc, I hit a branch with a shot at a doe at 15 yards.
This is where the .44 is best.
One day I was walking around before season and booted a big doe from her bed at 10 yards. I was looking for squirrels and did not see her. I played with her and she came back and laid back down. Here I was watching squirrels while she licked her side. I had to go to work so I walked right past her, she jumped up and stood there looking at me. I said, "ha, ha, I fooled you."
Now I was in slingshot country! :D
Why anyone needs to stretch shots with a revolver past 100 yards, I don't know.
Now at my age it is harder to hold the gun still anyway. I wish many times I had a rifle stock or a bench rest. :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:
Of course I shot the .44 to crazy ranges, over 400-500 yards back in 56-57 and 200 meters was nothing but I still had to adjust the sight and contend with wind. I did the Keith line on the front sight stuff and it works but now someone stole my sights.
One day we were out and I kept 12 straight shots in a 5 gallon bucket at 500 meters with my SRH and a 2X scope from Creedmore. But it is still an energy problem on long range deer. I have never found the magic boolit.
Use the .44 with common sense and you will never lose a deer.
My best shot took hair off a running woodchuck at a measured 550 yards with the .44, off hand. Yeah, nobody will believe that anyway. I should have mounted the hair for a trophy.