PDA

View Full Version : Browning BAR problems

Fly-guy
01-14-2012, 08:58 PM
My SIL and I were out shooting his Browning BAR this afternoon and we found that the action wouldn't lock up on some rounds and was slow to extract others. It seems like the brass had to cool down before they would come out.

The primers on factory and reloads were backed out which makes me think there might be a head space problem.

He bought the rifle used a couple of months ago and has shot about 2 boxes through it with about one fourth of them causing problems.

I know that 4895 is the recomended powder for Garand's and am wondering what powder and (J) bullet should be used in the Browning.

We would appreciate any insight in solving the problem with this rifle. (And yes, he is shooting the J word kind of bullets.)

Thanks, F-g

Chris Smith
01-14-2012, 09:37 PM
Don't take it as gospel but I would think that the BAR would be more tolerant to a wider variety of powders since it has a completely different gas system. I also really doubt you have any problems with headspace. I feel thats getting to be an urban myth. Having said that check the locking lugs and bolt assy for dirt, or just dry. Also take the gun apart enough to check and clean the gas system. The gas tube will become caked with stuff and not let enough pressure thru. I've seen three of these rifles that were bought brand new and there was some kind of grease in the gas system, put there from the factory I would guess, and it turned to yuck from the fired cartridges. Cleaned it out and never looked back.

chambers
01-14-2012, 11:04 PM
I just shot about 100 rounds of reloads through my Browning 30-06 BAR last weekend. First clean everything chamber and take the stock off and clean. Next take a loaded round and check if they fit in the chamber freely. Not sure if you are using cast or J boolits. Some BAR's require small base dies, mine did not. Start with the basics, if it does not close you must check the length of brass, size the brass then check it in the gun, load one round then check in the gun. Check your overall length.

Fly-guy
01-14-2012, 11:53 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the input. As far as the head space goes, the primers backed out of the primer pocket as if there wasn't enough preasure to expand the case to the chamber. The reloads were loaded for my Garand, full length sized, trimmed to length, 48.0 grains of 4895 with a 147 gr fmj. They work just fine in the Garand. As far as the factory ammo goes, the primers didn't back out quite as far but still backed out.

F-g

Fly-guy
01-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Got an update for ya'll.......he gave the BAR a good cleaning and that seems to have resolved the problem. Thanks for the help!

F-g

Chris Smith
01-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Good hygene always prevails.

Got-R-Did
01-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Had the same problem with my Buddy's Ohio Ordnance M1918 BAR and initially it was simply too much of the wrong kind of lube in the extraordinarily low temps of the two days he made it up here to shoot after his return from Iraq. He wiped the excess off of the bolt and out of the bolt recess and she worked like a charm once we got her above the ambient 15 degrees by firing. Later that night he cleaned the chamber with severe attention to detail and switched to a lightweight Molybdenum Disulfide lube and the second day (while colder still) resulted in no operational problems at all. Loads ranged from LC-68, HXP-67,68, and 88, with a test run of 48 gr. of IMR-4895 under Winchester M-80 equivilent 147 FMJBTw/c seated to cannelure and lightly crimped. He is currently in Afghanistan but should be home by March if all goes well. Can't wait to warm that barrel up again.
Got-R-Did.

Jason30-30
01-22-2012, 02:07 AM
Good to hear you guys resolved the problem i got one in .243 Win (without BOSS system) & it shoots great. Very reliable.