PDA

View Full Version : Remington 521T hammer drop problem

mister gizmo
01-14-2012, 06:19 PM
I recently bought a Remington 521T for my young son at the show today. There a problem, though, in that the hammer drops when you close the bolt. I don't have the manual, although I understand Remington will send me one free.

Want to get into the gun asap.

Any suggestions as to disassembly? Should I be looking at the bolt, the trigger or what?

TIA, gizmo.

sbowers
01-14-2012, 08:01 PM
If the hammer is dropping when you close the bolt then either the sear is worn, or out of adjustment or the sear catch on the bolt is worn or damaged. I think if you wil check there is information on the net about how to adjust the trigger.
Steve

TCLouis
01-14-2012, 08:19 PM
First un load the rifle.

Then remove the magazine.
Now check to see that it is unloaded and leaving the bolt out, or at least open remove the action/barrel from the stock.

Until you get it out of stock and look at the engagement surfaces I would not think about anything.

Is something stuck, jammed, missing engagement in bolt or sear?

Forrest r
01-15-2012, 09:36 AM
It sounds like the trigger stop screw is adjusted out too far & not allowing the trigger to reset/engage the sear.

The front screw is the trigger pull/weight adjustment.
The back screw is the trigger stop adjustment. Back the rear screw out & see if the trigger will reset.

mister gizmo
01-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. After it's fixed, I'll let you know what the problem was.

gizmo

fourarmed
01-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Here is something to try if you haven't: Remove the bolt and hose it out with gun scrubber, and see if that stops the problem. The engagement surfaces on those 500 series Remington 22s should run dry. Often they will do that if they are oiled.