PDA

View Full Version : Slug mold

Oregon Coot
01-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Is anyone aware of a mold which is set up to make bullets for slugging barrels, cylinders, etc.

Would be cool to find one with a series of single cavities - say a six cavity to be used for casting dead soft bullets for slugging various .475's, 45's, 44's, 41's, 40's & .357 ... you get the idea.

Barking at the moon here or is such a thing available?

Ervin
01-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Look for swaging core moulds. Thats what I use. Ervin

MarkW
01-15-2012, 03:54 PM
You could make a nice one by pre drilling and then running a tapered reamer into a 1/4"-3/8" thick aluminum plate, simply run the reamer in until you get the skirt size you want. You can do quite a few different sizes on a plate, then use an engraver to mark them all. In use, set the plate over another one and pour them, then lift the plate off and give it a whack on something or poke them out from the back with a dowel. You could even get fancy and attach the back plate with a bolt so you can slide it out of the way, but how many of these things do you plan on using in a year?

MakeMineA10mm
01-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Is anyone aware of a mold which is set up to make bullets for slugging barrels, cylinders, etc.

Would be cool to find one with a series of single cavities - say a six cavity to be used for casting dead soft bullets for slugging various .475's, 45's, 44's, 41's, 40's & .357 ... you get the idea.

Barking at the moon here or is such a thing available?

I think it's a great idea.

I'd go with round balls or very short cylinders (approximately same length as width) of the following diameters:

.315" (covers most 32 pistols and 30-cal. rifles)
.362" (covers all 9mm, 38, 357, even 9mm Makarov)
.413" (covers 38-40, 40S&W, 10mm and 41 Magnum)
.437" (covers all the various 44s)
.460" (covers all 45s - both rifle and pistol/revolver)

Those five sizes would cover the vast majority of pistols and rifles. Some foreign mil-surps and great hunting calibers are not covered, but maybe that could be a second mould (or cut into the underside for their very occasional use). NOE makes moulds like that (cut on both top and bottom for 10 cavities total), and I'd think simple, shallow cylinders would be easy to make...

stubshaft
01-16-2012, 02:32 AM
I just use the barrel in question as my mold. A close fitting patch, pour the lead in and use a close fitting rod to upset it.

Oregon Coot
01-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Thank you all for your ideas. I am new to casting and this forum has been a terrific resource for me!

Jim

white eagle
01-18-2012, 06:49 PM
if I need a slug for a bore I drill and appropriate size hole
in a old piece of lumber and filler up
knock out slug
push thru bore
wa-la