PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Swiss 1896/11 rifle magzine replacement

wellfedirishman
01-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Folks,

Does anyone know if a Swiss K31 magazine will fit in a Swiss 1889/1896/11 pattern rifle?

I just picked up a 1889/1896/11 without a magazine, was hoping that a K31 mag will fit. If not I will just use it as a single-shot (maybe make a wooden-block sled).

From the serial number I think it is an 1889/96 (serial 280xxx. manufactured 1902) that was later reworked to a 1911 model.

If anyone has a spare 1896/11 mag they want to sell, PM me :)

Thanks.

Bob S
01-14-2012, 05:40 PM
No. K31 mag is completely differenent. In each picture, the 1911 type magazine is on the right, K31 on the left:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Swiss/Magazines2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Swiss/Magazines1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Swiss/Magazines3.jpg

Watch auction sites, or email Frank van Binnendijk, who posts as "Guisan" on a few of the Swiss forums. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

P.S. What does the bore look like in that one? I almost went for it, but the description of the bore made me decide against it.

wellfedirishman
01-14-2012, 06:52 PM
Hi Bob, thanks again for the info. I figured that for the price it was worth a gamble, even without a magazine :)

I mostly shoot cast bullets, so I can make them oversize to better fit a worn barrel. When I receive this one I will update with pics and details.

Here, I will probably make a wooden sled to fit the magazine well and use it as a single-shot. If I pick up a magazine later, then great.

Bob S
01-14-2012, 08:23 PM
It was a great buy, if the bore is like most Swiss, but I think the seller described it as "dark". That could mean almost anything.

That red stripe may be the remnants of an inspection tape from a Swiss match ... means that it had been inspected and complies with the rules ... sort of like the colored tape that is put on a Service Rifle when it passes the LTI at one of our "leg" matches. If was used used by a Swiss civilian or veteran for match shooting, it could mean it has been really babied and is in terrific shape; or it's been fired A LOT more than any Swiss rifle in military ownership and may be ready for a new barrel. Swiss GP-11 was never corrosive (but it was mercuric until about 1950), so pitting is usually not an issue. The 1911 types usually respond to cast bullets very easily and reliably.

Resp'y,
BobS.

P.S. you have a PM

WineMan
01-15-2012, 12:47 AM
I have a K31 with the same red band on the forearm. Not the prettiest rifle, but the barrel is fine. I am taking it out to 1,000 tomorrow with a 4x scope and GP-11.

Wineman

Shepherd2
01-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Check the Swiss rifle forums for a man that goes by Swissdagger. He did and maybe still does sell on eBay. I bought a Swiss 1911 rifle at an estate auction a few years back that needed a new firing pin and a couple small parts so I contacted him. He had all but one part available. He lives in Switzerland but I had the parts in about 10 days. I thought his prices were very reasonable.

If your search fails, PM me. I'm pretty sure his mailing address is somewhere in my desk.

If you do find a magazine be prepared to shell out some bucks for it.

wellfedirishman
01-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks folks, I managed to find one locally for a reasonable price so looks like I am set. I will post a range report in time.