PDA

View Full Version : LBT sprue hold down

7br
01-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Is the lbt sprue hold down finger a standard part or does he manufacture them himself?

captaint
01-14-2012, 01:46 PM
7br - I don't really have any idea. But, either way, it doesn't look like an expensive part to replace. Looks like it might break easily. I have only used my LBT mold twice and no problems so far. Let us know what happends. enjoy Mike

Dan Cash
01-14-2012, 02:25 PM
The hold down finger is listed as an extra part for replacement from LBT, Not expensive but mine has stood up to 2 or 3 thousand bullets and is going strong. I use a gloved hand to swing the sprue plate and do not hit it.

Maven
01-14-2012, 04:25 PM
The hold down fingers get brittle over time and snap off, often flush with the top surface of the mold. I've been able to replace a few of mine, but frankly it made no difference in casting at all when I didn't.

stubshaft
01-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Veral has someone make them for him. They are not very expensive and in the 30 years I have used his molds I have only had one break on me.

MtGun44
01-14-2012, 11:43 PM
It is a roll pin ground down. I made a replacement for one of mine, not difficult. Grind,
anneal, bend, re-heat treat and be sure to temper it a bit.

Bill

Buckshot
01-15-2012, 03:30 AM
..............You can also use the blued steel pallet banding.

http://www.fototime.com/69EE11C0C86C987/standard.jpg

This is on a 5 cavity core mould, and I also did one similar on a 4 cav Lyman that had a badly galled block under the SP pivit bolt. Tighten the bolt and it'd lift the end of the SP off the blocks. Ditto on a 2 cav set but the pressure finger was naturally narrower. It's either that or flycut the blocks if galled.

.................Buckshot