PDA

View Full Version : High Temp Ball Valve for Smelting Pot ?

Hammerlane
01-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Has anyone found a High Temp Ball Valve for a smelting pot ? Looking a 1/2 inch Ball Valve to put at the end of pipe that runs out of my bottom pour 200lb loaded dutch oven, super fund site, gas sucker in the back yard. I use the plug and handle method now.

Jim
01-14-2012, 11:59 AM
I did a search on Google under "high temperature rated ball valves" and found THIS (http://www.triadprocess.com/adwordsWhite.cfm?searchTerm=Metal%20Seated%20Valve s&gclid=CL7r69Twz60CFUHc4Aoden7XmQ). There were many listings.

Salmon-boy
01-14-2012, 12:26 PM
I've been running through the same search..

Most ball valves have teflon seats.. Above 500deg, teflon starts to degrade and off gasses noxious fumes that give you a massive headache at best.. Learned that one from my last new muffin tin ingot moulds..

I've got an 1/8" brass ballcock valve from Ace hardware I'm going to try out this spring. The only problem with pouring from a bottom pour pot with 200lbs or more of lead is head pressure. I'm now trying to figure out how to pour a lot of ingots without making a huge mess.. :-)

Lefty SRH
01-14-2012, 01:06 PM
I'd like to have a 1/4 turn valve in the pot I'm getting ready to build.

Fixxah
01-14-2012, 01:29 PM
I use a very large ladle that holds 35# of alloy per pour. Approx..

Sent via tapatalk on the Yugo of droids.

Reload3006
01-14-2012, 02:35 PM
why not a butterfly it may leak a small amount but will take the heat.

Beagler
01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
This might give you an idea. But this is what we use on our Wirtz Cast Masters. Its a dispense head set up. It uses a cup with spout with a small recessed centering pin for the 1/2 inch ceranic ball to sit on and a lead valve for the ball to set against. Bascically works like a upside down car/truck valve using a ball. when the cup is dropped usually about 40 to 50 tousands the lead flows. release the weighted arm and the flow stops. The head and cup are covered with a steel box and heated with a gas supply so you have to reheat everytime. Here is a exploded parts view.

finishman2000
01-15-2012, 12:38 PM
i tried many diffrent valves and they all weren't worth the effort. i find a 1/2" nipple, loose elbo and a longer nipple (12" long) work best and safest. just weld a handle on the nipple and just turn the handle down to flow, pull back to stop.

Roundnoser
01-15-2012, 12:54 PM
i tried many diffrent valves and they all weren't worth the effort. i find a 1/2" nipple, loose elbo and a longer nipple (12" long) work best and safest. just weld a handle on the nipple and just turn the handle down to flow, pull back to stop.

Could you post a picture of that? I have a 40 pound pot that I want put a bottom pour on it. I appreciate your advice. Thanks.

runfiverun
01-15-2012, 02:13 PM
the best i have ever seen so far is the one magma uses on their pots.
it is operated with springs and side pressure on the handle.
the old spike into the countersink is probably the best thing out there for a bottom pour smelting pot.

StratsMan
01-15-2012, 04:21 PM
FinishMan, that's an elegantly simple solution... Does your spout come out the bottom of the pot, or the side?? Do you have a problem with the lead hardening in the spout when you point it up???

zxcvbob
01-15-2012, 04:26 PM
I think instead of a ball valve, what you want is a "plug valve". I'm pretty sure they are all bronze with no plastic or rubber. Quarter turn, just like a ball valve.