PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 450 Powder Measure Dilema

wv109323
01-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I have a Dillon 450 with the manual powder measure. A couple years back the adjusting screw on the Large Powder Slide seized up. I called Dillon and they set another Powder Slide however there is a difference in them.
The old one used a coil spring that went around the base of the powder measure and hooked to two posts on the slide itself. The old Powder Slide had the brass bar that was adjusted with an allen wrench and locked in place with a jam nut.
The one that was sent by Dillon is adjusted with a bolt and has no provisions to attach a spring.
Has anyone else ran into this? I don't see ant way I can use the one Dillon sent.
Any help would be appreciated.

Reload3006
01-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Dillon changed their powder measures to use the new fail safe feature I have both styles for my SDB. You probably should call Dillon Tec support and tell them they will tell you if your good to go or if you should upgrade.

alfloyd
01-13-2012, 11:14 PM
wv109323:

I have extra ones like you need.
PM me with address, and I will send you that will work with your 450.

Lafaun

Alvarez Kelly
01-13-2012, 11:34 PM
The new design Manual powder bar will work in the older manual powder measures if you hook the spring to itself, then stretch it around the aluminum nub that sticks up on the bar (on the adjusting end). If that doesn't make sense, I could email you a photo. PM me your real email address if you want a photo.

Alvarez Kelly
01-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Dillon changed their powder measures to use the new fail safe feature I have both styles for my SDB. You probably should call Dillon Tec support and tell them they will tell you if your good to go or if you should upgrade.

His powder measure does not have any failsafe mechanism. He has the very early MANUAL powder measure. The bar is activated by a human hand.

Alvarez Kelly
01-13-2012, 11:37 PM
wv109323:

I have extra ones like you need.
PM me with address, and I will send you that will work with your 450.

Lafaun

Very generous offer. I'm pretty sure the new one will work, the spring just hooks up a little differently...

wv109323
01-14-2012, 12:24 AM
I don't see how the new style could work with the old spring. The new style has a piece of metal that sticks up but it is not tall enough to put the spring on.

Iowa Fox
01-14-2012, 02:11 AM
I don't think the new slide will work. Try soaking your old one (the adusting screw) in a penatrant, KB Blaster, kroil, strongarm, Zep 45, or equivilant for a few days. It should free up.

Dillon has upgraded a bunch of old 450's over the years, they should have saved all the good parts to fulfill their warranty to keep all the old guys that purchased their 450 happy.

Hate to think about all the good parts of all kinds that get thrown away in this country.

Alvarez Kelly
01-14-2012, 02:23 AM
I don't see how the new style could work with the old spring. The new style has a piece of metal that sticks up but it is not tall enough to put the spring on.

I'm still ready to email you a photo of how it works...

All you have to do is connect the ends of the spring together and loop it around the narrow part of the powder measure and the aluminum nub that sticks up on the new powder bar. Pretty easy actually.

I'll send you a PM also.

Alvarez Kelly
01-14-2012, 02:24 AM
Dillon has upgraded a bunch of old 450's over the years, they should have saved all the good parts to fulfill their warranty to keep all the old guys that purchased their 450 happy.

Hate to think about all the good parts of all kinds that get thrown away in this country.

Dillon does keep a bunch of used, obsolete parts on hand, but they do get used up over time. I have gotten a few from them myself over the years.

CollinLeon
01-14-2012, 04:10 AM
I've also got a 450B. The spring loops around the powder measure and hooks to itself. I had considered buying the parts from Dillon to upgrade to the 550, but I figured that would just mean more things that I would be buying for each caliber, so I might as well stay with the 450 for awhile.