PDA

View Full Version : Case color Hardened Reciever

bsibjr
03-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Does anybody have any tips or tricks for polishing up an old case color hardened reciever. Its in pretty good shape just dull. Thanks.

BJ

Parson
03-06-2007, 03:09 PM
One cannot with authority say "one thing" will work with case color except be very cautious. The properties of case color varies with the process used (there are several), the metal it is on, age etc. Time alone will destroy some color, sunlight is a real killer for most. If it is clean, may be best to leave it alone. If it is going to be used or exposed to the eliments, it is going to deteriate but a coat of clear varnish or something similar would be in order unless it has collector value, if that is the case about the only thing you can do is store it away from all light and hope for the best. The worst one I ever dealt with was a customers Stevens 44 1/2, it was so covered with rust that I could not tell what kind of finish it originally had. I soaked it for about a week in Kroil and then with 0000 steel wool soaked in more Kroil I very gentley rubbed it down. Some of the best old aged case color came out that I have ever worked on, it was more luck than skill. Work on any case color and you take your chances

leftiye
03-07-2007, 01:46 AM
The color, like the case is all on the surface. It was probably dull when it was new. Though the color, case etc is hard, when it's worn through it's through and gone. I'm at a loss about anything to do except to clean it with gun solvent or oil, and wipe it clean.

357maximum
03-07-2007, 02:47 AM
I remember my grampa re-coloring an old unknown to me shotgun reciever when I was a wee lad, he wrapped in in leather and buried it in the wood stove, whatever else he did I do not know, I wasn't paying attention. I sure wish that I had, but you know how children work when it comes to older folk.:sad: Damn shame, and I have no one to blame but myself.

Derby FALs
03-10-2007, 03:19 PM
I remember my grampa re-coloring an old unknown to me shotgun reciever when I was a wee lad, he wrapped in in leather and buried it in the wood stove, whatever else he did I do not know, I wasn't paying attention. I sure wish that I had, but you know how children work when it comes to older folk.:sad: Damn shame, and I have no one to blame but myself.

http://yarchive.net/metal/case_hardening.html

Traditional Case Hardening is done by packing the soft iron or steel parts in a
cast iron box, together with a mixture of charred bone meal, leather scraps or
parings from hooves etc. The top is wired in place and sealed with fireclay.
The entire box is then heated in forge or furnace, to a medium red heat for
several hours, after which it is removed, the wires clipped and the entire
contents dumped into clear cold water.

COLOR case hardening is a similar process to the above. In this case however
the parts are first polished to about a 400 grit finish and CAREFULLY
DEGREASED. They are then packed in the bone meal/leather charcoal mix and
sealed absolutely air tight.

After heating, the contents of the box are dumped into a barrel of clean, cool
water to which a small amount of nitrate may be added to enhance the color
ranges. This tub of water will have a grill half way down to separate the box
contents and will be arranged with a vigorously bubbling supply of air from a
perforated pipe at the bottom of the tub. Beautiful ranges and variations of
colors can be obtained..though getting CONSISTANT, REPEATABLE, PREDICTABLE
results make this the realm of a few VERY practised masters.

357maximum
03-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Thanks Derby, I in fact do remember the air compressor being involved with a barrel of rainwater, did not grasp what else, but your post brought back a few long forgotten images/memories, thanks again

Michael