PDA

View Full Version : ODCMP Garand Recommendations

7br
01-13-2012, 04:24 PM
I am hoping to put my income tax towards a M1 garand. Looks like Springfield Armory and Harrington&Richardson rifles are available in my price range. Any reason to choose one over the other?

cheese1566
01-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Nope, both are good!

I chose a Springfield receiver, but most of my parts are HR, except the bolt and barrel.

Not too worry, this is very common, typical, and expected. It is one beauty of Garand's design.

I wouldn't have known about many of the parts' manufacturers, but I had mine stripped down and inspected by the gail at MB Company in Sturgis, SD.

GARCIA
01-13-2012, 06:13 PM
7br:
I was at the South Store yesterday morning with a friend who had never been there.
He ended up buying a Service Grade HRA that was simply beautiful. Muzzle was a 1 and the throat was a 1+. That is almost like new.

The only thing that stopped it from being a higher grade (Correct Grade)was the fact that the trigger group was an SA.

We were able to get the Armorer (Leon) to go through it while we were there. Serial# coencided with the barrel date and everything else other then that trigger group was HRA.

If I was to buy another one it would be the Service Grade HRA.

Not to rub it in but I am only 75 miles away from the CMP South Store.

Tom

Gtek
01-14-2012, 09:48 AM
If any of you gentleman need/want parts, all manuf's, I have a building full. I have been playing, building, restoring for twenty plus. PM me if any questions. Gtek

madsenshooter
01-15-2012, 12:25 PM
From what I understand from years ago, like when the service grade rifles were only $185, the HRA and IHC rifles had seen a lot less use than the SA and Winchester rifles. In fact I had friend who was a prison guard. He'd been shooting in some matches with a mini-14 and asked me to get info from the DCM for him and I told him to get an HRA or IHC based on the above.

Rich/WIS
01-15-2012, 06:50 PM
SA were produced through WWII and Korea, HRA did not begin production until 1953 IIRC. An SA may have a history but it also has seen a lot of use, unless it is a high number. HRA were mostly training and guarding Camp Swampy. I got an HRA, almost no wear, barrel near new, and all HRA except oprod, which I traded for an HRA. GI wood is iffy, you can ask for it but may not get it. I asked for the new Birch stock as I wanted a tight lockup, but it is a bit trickier to finish than Walnut. Either service grade will be in good shape and a good shooter. Keep her cleaned and greased and she won't let you down.

NuJudge
01-15-2012, 08:08 PM
If you are getting one sight unseen, get an HRA. I live a relatively short distance from the North Store, and shoot some matches at Camp Perry, so I have examined what they have on sale, and the least likely to have a bad barrel is HRA. Many Springfield rifles were in use 25 years, and many have been rebuilt several times, but occasionally a very late production rifle will turn up, nearly new.

Early last year I bought a HRA that had a new stock and the original barrel was nearly new and original. A new REALLY tight stock and the nearly new barrel makes it shoot GREAT! I came in 47th of 1212 shooters in the Garand match with it. The only bad thing about it is they stained the new Birch stock 'Pumpkin Orange.'

If you are in the area, you would do well to go to one of the stores and pick your rifle. Several Garands I have purchased were downgraded to a much lower cost because of some really minor problem, fixable with a minimum of effort.

bob208
01-20-2012, 09:56 AM
yes the hra and the ih rifles have 1 less war on them. i have one of each. my hra is the one i shootr the most in fact after i wore out the 06 barrel i put a .308 barrel on it.

leadman
01-21-2012, 05:49 PM
I bought one of the Danish returns a few years ago. Had a brand new VAR barrel on it. A very nice rifle.
I had a gunsmith look at mine when I got it because I knew even less about them then than I know now.
I understand that the CMP is inspecting these before sale but I still think it is a good idea to have someone knowledgable look at it.
There seem to be more up for sale in the Phoenix area than normal so if it is the same in your area you could luck into a really nice rifle.