PDA

View Full Version : Medium cheddar, please

Jim
03-06-2007, 06:59 AM
I figure if I'm gonna whine about something, I might as well go ahead and order some cheese, 'cause I know it's gonna be offered.

I think it's wonderful to see a half dozen or more answers posted in response to a question. HOWEVER, I find it EXTREMELY frustrating that RARELY is there an answer that's directly RELATIVE to the question!

Many's been the time that I saw a question posted and thought "hey, that's a good one" only to find that the question never got really answered.

Simple straight question, simple straight answer.

I'm done. Your response will speak volumes about your character.

Jim

imashooter2
03-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Every board has it's own character. This one doesn't keep people on topic. Never has, never will. You can either accept it and glean whatever info you can wherever you might find it, or you can go somewhere else.

Ivantherussian03
03-06-2007, 08:19 AM
I think it is called abstract random thinking; maybe that says something about people that shoot alot.:roll: I always thought it was a positive thing.:-D

waksupi
03-06-2007, 08:40 AM
Sometimes a question gets answered in a direct manner. Usually, when it is a dumb dangerous question, that could get someone hurt.
Otherwise, it is like herding ferrets here. I've never seen a topic stay on track, ever since the old Shooters.com days. Never happened. Never will. Wouldn't like it, if it did. That ain't what we do here.

SharpsShooter
03-06-2007, 10:03 AM
You are correct! We should stay on track like a railroad does..........say those engines are sumpthin huh? Really big and powerful. Speaking of power..........that picture of cheese sure conjures up an appetite and heck it is still three hours to lunch. Gotta have a word with Wills about posting such provocative stuff, but I guess it is his 1st amandment right. Wonder what temperature they pour that cheese stuff to get good fillout and hey don't forget to save the wax off of it for lubes and such.

Sure hope this cleared up your thoughts on this topic and rendered some useful information.

SS

wills
03-06-2007, 10:32 AM
I figure if I'm gonna whine about something, I might as well go ahead and order some cheese, 'cause I know it's gonna be offered.

Jim

https://host311.ipowerweb.com/~bolenval/osCommerce/catalog/images/med%20ched.jpg

wills
03-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Gotta have a word with Wills about posting such provocative stuff, but I guess it is his 1st amandment right. Wonder what temperature they pour that cheese stuff to get good fillout and hey don't forget to save the wax off of it for lubes and such.

Sure hope this cleared up your thoughts on this topic and rendered some useful information.

SS

I changed that cheese picture when I realized in was probably Gouda instead of Medium Cheddar. I didn’t want to stray from the topic.

But the first one was such a nice picture I decided to put it back.
http://www.bodypress.com.au/images/cheese.jpg

redneckdan
03-06-2007, 11:34 AM
yer lookin fer an online meeting of the toastmaster or somethin like that. This here is more of an on line version of everybody gatherin 'round the old scared up bar somewhere in the middle of montana. Two completely different animals. THR is usually pretty strick about tangents, thats why I spend most of my time here.

fatnhappy
03-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Hey wills, Did you save that cheese wax for making FWFL or is it available?

KCSO
03-06-2007, 01:04 PM
Jim
I am a bad one when it come to talking about loads as I never want to give out powder charges. Too many folks don't want to listen to WORK UP, and Starting LOAD. As to some technical questions there are so many ways to do some things that once I see one good answer I tend to let it go and wander off. See hardening a frizzen... I also note that some threads have been on enough that most guys will reference back and then wander off, See M95 to 30-40. Some of use that have been on a long time don't stop to think about the guys who have only read a dozen posts. NOw back to the topic... I perfer a stout port although I will drink Maderia.

357maximum
03-06-2007, 01:20 PM
Your response will speak volumes about your character.

Jim

[smilie=1: I prefer mozzerella deep fried and breaded with a side of Jose Gold.:mrgreen: How's that for a character expose'?

Think how boring this place would be if someone wizzed on the campfire of random linear thoughts........personally I like learning by random/accidental annecdotal thinkin....proably why I like it here so much...enough of life is bracketed by structured meanings, to me it is not fun to think between the tracks,or inside the box, I would rather throw the box away than to be forced to comply and think from within it....cardboard stinks anyway, give me something that reaks of alox/fox essence instead please........ Ivan and waksupi summed up the rest of my thoughts pretty darn well, good form.....

Bret4207
03-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Sorry man. If it's really an important question, make that clear when you ask. I don't think anyone here intentionaly avoids a question just to take up band width.

castalott
03-06-2007, 01:25 PM
now what was your question....? oh ya...I have asked a few pointed questions and got some pointy answers back!!!! rarely did the questions & answers match up though...

Have any of you guys ever tried to herd ferrets off a railroad track with Gouda cheese in Montana?

Redneckdan...what would the bar be scared of? Bar be??...Barbie??....What Ken you make of that?

Now I remember why i shoot...it concentrates the mind.....what little I have left...

Jim...if you want a straight answer....I have no idea where to buy you one....But it is a noble thought you have.....

redneckdan
03-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Redneckdan...what would the bar be scared of?

scared as in mutilated with various instruments...typically cigarette burns, marks from knives shoved into it point first, etc.... usually you can tell how good an establishment is by the condition of the bar. If its prestine with a fresh coat of polish...yer in fer a boring night.

NVcurmudgeon
03-06-2007, 02:27 PM
This site is often just like a place where friends gather for conversation. One subject will lead to another, and we my never get back to the original topic. But we will usually get onto our computercycles and head back to the real world, satisfied with the camraderie, (sp, but I don't really care) laughs, and knowledge gained on subjects we never thought to ask about, if not about the original question. Now what was it, anyway? Forty years ago, this site would have been called "a happening."

wills
03-06-2007, 02:59 PM
scared as in mutilated with various instruments...typically cigarette burns, marks from knives shoved into it point first, etc.... usually you can tell how good an establishment is by the condition of the bar. If its prestine with a fresh coat of polish...yer in fer a boring night.

That kind of scared has two r's in it.

Hey wills, Did you save that cheese wax for making FWFL or is it available?

It is right there on the screen, just grab some. If 'ya need a lot hold down the Ctrl key and then push the n key till 'ya have all 'ya need.

Uncle R.
03-06-2007, 03:34 PM

Heck - if it's that scarred it's probably scared too!
:roll:

This board has the most comprehensive collection of experts this side of NASA. It's just that they're expert on all kinds of different things...
If we don't know THE answer we'll cheerfully give you AN answer - heck, it might help somebody!

As far as character - I never claimed to have character - I only claim to BE a character... And I can provide witnesses too!
:-D
Uncle R.

Pepe Ray
03-06-2007, 05:24 PM
20 minuits ago I was feelin' ugly. (Thats a coloquelism for Pissed).

Now I' m :-D :-D :drinks: :Fire: :-D Love you guys!
Pepe Ray

P.S. Wonder if Jim is still here.

TDB9901
03-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Like Dan said, whether they're sitting around a bar or an old wood stove, how long does a bunch of guys chatting stay on a straight and narrow topic?? They not only have different opinions on the topic, but may even differ on what the topic really is.

One of the reasons I like it here, you may not learn exactly what you want to learn, but you will for darned sure learn SOMETHING. Usually something useful.

Also you have to remember that some of us are to the stage of life where short term memory may be................................................ ............. oh lets see, yeah... Chedder, Sharp Chedder is best, some pepper-jack is OK too............................Blondes'?? yeah always had a weakness for ......What was the subject again????

No_1
03-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Jim,
It is possible that the answers offered are not what you think the answer should be BUT they are answers. Sometimes the answers are the "open" thinking that could lead you to an answer you are looking for.

At work we sit around a table and do a couple of things before and after major jobs. The jobs are always specific and the end results will be sure but we "think" out loud in the circle to get the best ideas for making it happen. Sometimes the thinking seems to not relate but it could "click" in someone else's mind and bring the conversation to the next closer level. There is always the wiseguy(s) that toss in something totally off subject but mostly it is just to break the ice. In the end, if we take the bits and pieces of the ideas, mash them together, we see the answer in front of us. Once the job is complete we sit around again and do the "lessons learned" talk which pretty much goes the same way and in the end get the final result we are looking for.

I do not have 4 gazillion post but have been around since the shooters.com days also. Back then I went by my birth name but decided that under todays circumstance it is best to just be an alias. I watch in total awe most of the time and offer what I know other times. I come here to relax by talking and listening to others talk about the thing I love the most. When I see something here that picks my eye up but do not see the answer I want, I use one of many search engines to find more info. If it is relevant I may bring it back and share. But in closing, I do not get bent when I am here just because the answer I need does not pop up and slap me in the face. I see you are rather new here by the number of posts and hope you will be able to see past our light heartedness to enjoy the release that most of us get by being here.

BTW, I like pepperjack and jalapeno Chedder and almost any cheese that is kinda spicy. What kind do you like?

Robert

Jim
03-06-2007, 06:33 PM
"Well, Rooster, I'm shot to pieces..."
Robert Duvall as "Lucky" Ned Pepper
in True Grit

Jim

Bigjohn
03-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Jim,

We all come here for our own reasons; I'm hoping I get to meet 'carpetman's' avatar up close and personal.[smilie=1: I hope she is not a figment.

Can you tell me if Limburger cheese really does out stink Pepe La Pew, or shouldn't I believe everything I see in the cartoons?:(

A nice matured Port, 'JATZ' crackers, matured cheese and a small pickled onion, thats my choice. :mrgreen:
:hijack:
A person I know, who is more use to cooking over a campfire; walked into a shop to buy a Microwave Oven (Their first circa 1986), asked the Salesman if the had any "Chernobyl Twirlers", that set the 'tone' for the rest of the sales pitch. The question which capped it off was, "How long to do a dog?":confused:

BTW, I see alsorts of cheeses in the shops nowadays; some have some strange noncheese things in them. Whatca think?

So JIM, that's the way this site is and I like it like that,

:drinks:

Jhon

castalott
03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Jim...in the slight chance any of this has offended you...I'm sure that no one would do so on purpose. I welcome you to one of the very best sites on the net. We have a free flow of ideas and are pretty clean in the process.....sort of a self regulating gas system if you will. But my apologies if you are offended....

As an aside....I want to give you an example. I hated history until I got into college. Then I had Mrs Lance for a teacher. She was as excited as a 13 year old in his first peep show when she taught American History. All the back room stories...and why this was so...and how this came to be...and who was related to who...and so on. She convinced me that the Founding Fathers were the greatest collection of intellect assembled in this world. That class changed my whole life. All because she made history come ALIVE!!!! Sometimes, it is the stuff on the edge that really teaches you something.....

qajaq59
03-06-2007, 08:51 PM
You are correct! We should stay on track like a railroad does..........The only reason that railroads have tracks is the engineers got lost too often.
Sorry, old RR joke.

C1PNR
03-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Jim,

We all come here for our own reasons; I'm hoping I get to meet 'carpetman's' avatar up close and personal.[smilie=1: I hope she is not a figment.

Jhon
Only problem I see is, do you have any idea how long ago that tintype was taken?:coffee:

Phil
03-06-2007, 09:41 PM
Has anyone read Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress" yet? I just started it yesterday and so far its a pretty good read. Hey, how bout them Cubbies?

Cheers,

Phil

Bigjohn
03-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Only problem I see is, do you have any idea how long ago that tintype was taken?:coffee:

Damn it! you sure know how to burst someones bubble. :-D

But we are allowed to dream and I didn't say how young I were.:-D

John.

Ricochet
03-07-2007, 12:14 AM
I like sharp cheddar. But it seems that the sharper it gets, the more brittle it gets. Crumbles if you cut it right out of the refrigerator. Have to warm it up first. Kind of like boolit lubes, different ones suited to different temperature ranges.

Anybody ever try lubing boolits with cheddar cheese?

As for the original whine: This board would not be very useful or the least bit interesting if everyone had to stay precisely "on topic." Many people with good useful knowledge to pass along would soon get bored and drift away. Wouldn't be a good place to get anything answered. That's my opinion.

I enjoy and appreciate the members of this board. There are a bunch of very nice people here. Several have done very nice things for me that they didn't have to do, for which I'm grateful. I get good laughs and grins from the humor, and I've learned a lot from both the "on topic" and "off topic" postings. When some of the political discussions and such get wearisome to me, I just skip over them and go read something else. The moderators do a good job of letting free discussion go on but keeping a damper on ugly stuff. I think this is a mighty fine board. Don't fix it, because it's not broken.

walltube
03-07-2007, 12:37 AM
I don't know about anyone else here, but AADD works for me.

Now that we know what kind of cheese you drink, what kind of beer do you eat?

Do you know Mr. Shlomo Weiner? He used to own a deli in Metarie, LA. Outstanding selection of cheeses. Wine too.

Welcome to Cast Boolits. Beware the Tinsel Fairie and keep focused as to which cavity gets the Silver Stream.

I'm gainfully unemployed.

Y.T.,

Walltube

woody1
03-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Jim, Jim, Jim....Seems that what you're askin' is not possible. Y'see a in order for a straight question to have a straight answer, seems to me yer dealin' with poker here or mebe some sorta geometrical straight line thing. You see, Jim, this is a shooting forum and when there's shootin' involved there's trajectory and in trajectory there isn't no straight at all! Y'see there' up and down and ain't no cheese either that I ever saw. Anyway, when there's trajectory there ain't no straight, but I already said that didn't I? See, what we're dealin' with here is projectiles and once launched, a projectile is an object upon which the only force acting is gravity. Y'see projectiles not only have a vertical motion, but also a horizontal motion. That is, as they move upward and/or downward they are also moving horizontally. There are the two components of the projectile's motion - horizontal and vertical motion. And since we've got that gravity thing a tuggin on our projectile all the time from the get-go it sorta rounds out them motions. So what'cha got here is a parabola or anyhow somethin' that isn't straight. SO, y'see you can't get a straight answer even though you think you've asked a straight question. By-the-way did you ever play Hokie? It's a 4 card Stud game and 3 of a kind beats straights and flushes. Now that we're talking about flushes I think this subject might be goin' down the toilet. Regards, Woody

357maximum
03-07-2007, 02:40 AM
I think this is a mighty fine board. Don't fix it, because it's not broken.

:drinks: PRECISELY:drinks:

carpetman
03-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Jim I certainly agree that folks dont stay on topic. I never stray. Strictly always on topic. People come here to play should stay away. Hell I quit school the first day when I found out they had recess. I went there to learn not play. I wasnt going to go walking 20 miles uphill and 20 miles uphill back and barefooted and snow to boot just to play. I didnt spend all this money for a computer to play. Moral of the story is stay on topic. The topic was cheese. I don't think you can make cheese from sheep milk--notice how Waksupi has stayed out of it? He has nothing on cheese topic. He's a sheep man.

Buckshot
03-07-2007, 05:43 AM
..............You guys crack me up!:drinks:

So Jim, didja find out about what kind of characters these heathens are? I know you asked your question seriously, and for you to have posted it something must have not set right somewhere or't'other.

I am a bit sensative to threads wandering or not being answered as since this board has been in existance I've had one direct PM telling me he got 2 responses and then the whole thread took a left turn. I don't recall if they started talking about sheep or beer :-) He was NOT pleased and I can understand that.

The other person was peeved because he felt he wasn't being taken seriously as a responder kinda made a joking response. Again, especially to a new person I can understand that such a thing may make one feel even more like an outsider besides being new. We did also have a member who left because he felt the board was not technicly oriented enough.

However I have never felt that there was a mean hearted person as a member of this BB. And after reading some of these replys I realize just how many ain't quite right, either :bigsmyl2:

I think I can speak for most every member, and I know I speak for the board owner and the moderators, that what we desire more then anything else is for this to be a place were a member can spend some time with friends he's just not met face to face yet. I know that I am excited by every new member I see come aboard and I hope that they find it as much fun and as informative as I find it to be.

Personally I am especially gratified when someone from another country joins in. The differences are neat, but the similarities are even greater and I value each one of them very highly. They're a very special addition.

This board is nothing but a sum total of it's members, and we have some very exceptional people here. Some are extremely accomplished shooters, reloaders, gunsmiths, and many are distinguished in other fields of endeavor outside the shooting sports. Yet the one common denominator is shooting cast bullets and all the junk that goes along with it.

Now it's time for a big bowl of Tin Roof Sundae ice cream and a bit of reading.

...................Buckshot

wills
03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
I don't think you can make cheese from sheep milk--notice how Waksupi has stayed out of it? He has nothing on cheese topic. He's a sheep man.

Sure you can make cheese from sheep milk.
Here is a link.
http://www.sheepcheese.com/

powderburnerr
03-07-2007, 11:58 AM
and its ORGANIC......................dean

redneckdan
03-07-2007, 12:05 PM

see, thair ya go. if we'd have stayed on topic I still wouldn't know how to spell scarred.

Navahojoe
03-07-2007, 01:12 PM
And I wouldn't have known that you could make cheese out of sheep milk!
regards,
NavahoJoe

:castmine:

Ricochet
03-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Camel cheese here: http://www.tiviski.com/index.html

castalott
03-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Cast boolit shooters ,by and large, are thinkers, tinkers, and dreamers. They may have other 'play areas' or 'work areas' that they use those brain cells on but this site is where the heart is. If it didn't exist, we would have to invent it. The free flow of ideas and the vast,vast experience here are simply amazing. I also guarantee you that some top notch comedians and word-smiths waste time here...Cherish this site and protect it....... It feels like home to me.....

Pilgrim
03-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Speaking of school...Some 30 years ago my oldest boy went to school for the first day. When he got home, his mom asked him how he liked it. His reply was it was OK. When she informed him that maybe "tomorrow would be a bettrer day", he lost it. He comment was on the order of "You mean I have to go back? I thought today was school and it was over!" It still makes me chuckle. Not sure if I chuckle because of his answer, or because I'd cry if I thought about it long enough. Kinda my sort of answer altogether.... Pilgrim

MT Gianni
03-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Feta cheese served in greek restraunts is from sheep milk. If you ever ordered greek salad you've probably eaten it. Gianni

Bigjohn
03-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Jim,

This site has a very unique feel to it but if you ask a question; you will get an answer, maybe not what you expect. There are reasons for this; in our sport, many questions have more than one answer, each as effective as the previous.

Take a question about boolit lube; "Which lube should I use for the following (Load Details) in (Firearm)?". As the conditions which effect the preformance of a lube are many, a person detailing what worked in their situation may not be telling you what will work for you.

Basically, you are still required to do a lot of leg work to find out which suggestion is going to work for you.

Just about any combination of elements will create a unique situation for your firearms.

WINDAGE; for the want of a better words is what I would call the tangents which we ocassionaly 'head off on' in a thread. Being much like a conversation between friends at Redneckdan's scared scarred bar; it takes very little to cause a divergence in any conversation. One word maybe.
The advantage of this, is you learn a lot about the persons you are 'talking' to here. e.g. Other interests like tractors, motorcycles, pets, illnesses, sorrow through loss, fishing, archery, knifemaking and many many more and you feel as part of the family, my family, your family, OUR family.

So, Jim, I hope we have not scared you off and that you will go get a beer or whatever you drink out of the fridge, pull up a stool, put your feet up to the warming fire and join us in our conversation.

I hope my words are understood by you or those of the other posters have helped you understand us better; 'til then,

John.

waksupi
03-08-2007, 12:53 AM
BigJohn, after all this beating around the bush, I believe you have found an important answer to the question. May times, some one will ask a question, with too little info. The question will leave nowhere to even begin giving a comprehensive answer.

So, I believe this is proof of the successful nature, of how subjects go on this board. Sometimes it just takes awhile, for someone to get a good handle on a question, to wander over, drop it in the bucket, then stand back and see what else falls in.

Bigjohn
03-08-2007, 01:07 AM
waksupi;
I know that I will 'shuffle' off this Mortal Toil' not knowing all the answers to everything to do with our sport. There is just SO MUCH too learn and a lot as yet undiscovered.

:-D The fun is in the education I/WE get along the way and have fun carrying out the experiments. :-D

Sharing our knowledge is one of the aims of this site; enjoying the company of friends while doing it; priceless.

John.