PDA

View Full Version : Ferriss rifle?

Tatume
01-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Hi Folks,

Anybody here own a Ferriss rifle, as built by Lee Shaver? I'm very close to making the decision to order one.

Take care, Tom

451 Pete
01-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Tom, if the Ferris is the long range muzzle loader that Lee is building, then yes I have seen one. I was very impressed with the looks, workmanship and the results it gave it's owner at a fall match at Camp Atterbury. It has a very fast lock time and as the owner was just getting used to the rifle and figuring out loads and sight settings his initial results were very repetitive and promising. The owners impression ( I asked ) was that although he thought the rifle a bit pricey he also thought it was still worth the money. He said that he had it with him when he went to England last fall as part of the U.S Long Range Team for the international competition and could have sold it there for more than he had paid for it.

Hope this helps .... Pete:coffeecom

Tatume
01-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks Pete, it does. BTW, does the 451 in your handle refer to the Enfield Volunteer rifle? I enjoy my Parker Hale Volunteer very much, and have it all packed up for a trip to the range tomorrow.

451 Pete
01-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Tatune,
Well ..... yes in a way. I have four mid and long range ML rifles that shoot .450 to .452 diameter bullets. A PH Whitworth, a PH Volunteer, a Pedersoli Tryon Creedmoor and an original Thomas Turner English Match rifle. Thus the .451.

I don't know if you have ever been to one of the NMLRA Shoots but if you make it to one look me up. We shoot out to 500 yds. on the range at Friendship Indiana in the spring and fall shoots and I run the match's for the NMLRA at Camp Atterbury, one of which in October this year will be shot out to 1200 yds. If you get that new rifle ( or with the Volunteer ) Friendship would be a good place to try it out.

Take care ... Pete

Boz330
01-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Here are some pictures of the rifle Pete was talking about. The owner shot some really good targets right out of the box. Workmanship and fit and finish are first rate. Besides being a good shooting rifle it is a piece of ART.

Bob

Tatume
01-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Pete,

Unfortunately, due to my work, I can only travel to matches from mid-May until mid-August. I may look for a local match in the summertime.

Boz, that really is a nice looking rifle, and your comments about the owner shooting it well are encouraging as well.

Thanks, Tom

Boz330
01-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Pete,

Unfortunately, due to my work, I can only travel to matches from mid-May until mid-August. I may look for a local match in the summertime.

Boz, that really is a nice looking rifle, and your comments about the owner shooting it well are encouraging as well.

Thanks, Tom

Tom, the spring nationals are in June and Pete generally tries to get Camp Atterbury sometime the week before. The 500yd Mini Creedmore plates are a real hoot. The black and white squares out by the red Nissan are what they look like from the covered firing line.

Bob