PDA

View Full Version : Swage Lube?

Utah Shooter
01-13-2012, 12:54 AM
I know it has been discussed here before but I cannot find any Lanolin (nipple cream) or Castor Oil (Laxative) in my area to make my own.

Any other ideas? Does Vaseline work?

I know this sounds weird but just curious?

kmag
01-13-2012, 01:27 AM
You can order lanolin from members of this board. I think Randy Rat is one who sells it. Also you can usually buy anhydrous lanolin at most pharmacies, ask the druggiest. Take Care,

Utah Shooter
01-13-2012, 01:38 AM
I did. He only uses it to mix prescriptions.

rasto
01-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Utah that is what you are actually looking for.
I bought it as raw ingredient for mixing behind the board It wasn't even offered as and product.

I have the same problem with castor oil but it is the question of time.

Utah Shooter
01-13-2012, 02:01 AM
That is what the local Walgreen's was asking me what I was looking for.

nicholst55
01-13-2012, 05:42 AM
Lanolin (http://www.nextag.com/anhydrous-lanolin/stores-html)

Castor Oil (http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=209437&productId=209437&navAction=jump&navCount=3)

Also, Majestic Mountain Sage (http://www.thesage.com/index.html) has all the ingredients needed for Felix World Famous Lube, as an absolute minimum. You can also buy craft-type ingredients for your wife/significant other.

Google is your friend.

rasto
01-13-2012, 07:04 AM
nicholst the biggest problem wasn't aviability (other state other world) but the translation it self.
I tought it was made from beavers instead of vegetables.
I was wrong and right now it is being ordered localy.
Thanks for answering my question of time :-)

DukeInFlorida
01-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Randy Rat is the go to guy for the anhydrous lanolin, bees wax, carnauba wax, and stearic acid.

I use the anhydrous lanolin with some Militec-1 (http://www.militec1.com/) (synthetic) and stir to a proper mix consistency for all my swage lube needs. It far outperforms the lanolin and castor oil mix.

Reload3006
01-13-2012, 12:32 PM
I know it has been discussed here before but I cannot find any Lanolin (nipple cream) or Castor Oil (Laxative) in my area to make my own.

Any other ideas? Does Vaseline work?

I know this sounds weird but just curious?

get on Ebay buy a pound in the candle making supply section. also Castor oil is available at most walmart pharmacies. and you can email it too.

TJF1
01-13-2012, 04:07 PM
I bought my lanolin and castor oil bouth from cvs pharmacies
terry

Utah Shooter
01-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Why not Vaseline?

Lizard333
01-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Sense it was brought up...... After working with this stuff it reminded me of bag balm. Anyone every try that?

MIBULLETS
01-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Why not Vaseline?

I have heard of benchrest bullet makers using a 50/50 mix of anhydous lanolin and vaseline.

One thing though, anything petroleum based might be harder to clean off of the bullets.

Utah Shooter
01-14-2012, 12:59 AM
I have heard of benchrest bullet makers using a 50/50 mix of anhydous lanolin and vaseline.

One thing though, anything petroleum based might be harder to clean off of the bullets.

For just de rimming purposes. Would it be acceptable?

catmasher
01-14-2012, 01:52 AM
vo 5 hair cream
Works very good
Don't laugh it really works

Utah Shooter
01-14-2012, 02:24 AM
vo 5 hair cream
Works very good
Don't laugh it really works

I am not laughing at that. I am laughing at the comment after looking the legs in your avitar or whatever it is.

warf73
01-14-2012, 04:01 AM
I was using Bull Plate lube but now I use 50:1 2cycle mix just a little bit on your fingers goes a long ways. Most any hardware store or walmart has it in stock and is under $5 for 2 oz and it lasts a long time.

DukeInFlorida
01-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Try whatever you want to try. If it works for you, great.
If it doesn't, try a different lube.

Just be VERY careful that you don't get brass bullet assemblies stuck inside expensive swage die sets. If you ruin a $300 die set because you were too cheap to use a proper lube, it would be a heck of a learning experience.

Rather than guess, why not use what the majority of SUCCESSFUL swagers use?

I personally would stay away from the Vasoline.

Utah Shooter
01-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Try whatever you want to try. If it works for you, great.
If it doesn't, try a different lube.

Just be VERY careful that you don't get brass bullet assemblies stuck inside expensive swage die sets. If you ruin a $300 die set because you were too cheap to use a proper lube, it would be a heck of a learning experience.

Rather than guess, why not use what the majority of SUCCESSFUL swagers use?

I personally would stay away from the Vasoline.

Well said. I totally agree. Going to head to the local IFA and see what they have.

DCM
01-14-2012, 02:05 PM
My LOCAL source of lanolin is the local health food store.

Utah Shooter
01-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah all I can find is Bag Balm locally. Really wanted to hit the press again tonight. Looks like I may just have to wait. Or is Bag Balm good?

Reload3006
01-14-2012, 03:32 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1lb-Lanolin-USP-Anhydrous-/250969125931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6eecf42b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Pure-Castor-Oil-1-Gallon-/300648048871?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46000528e7

Bullwolf
01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Yeah all I can find is Bag Balm locally. Really wanted to hit the press again tonight. Looks like I may just have to wait. Or is Bag Balm good?

I use Bag Balm as a case sizing lube for reloading, when I am using non carbide die sets.

It works great as a case sizing lube.... But I have not used it as a swaging lube, so either use at your own risk, or hope someone else here who has used it as a swage lube will chime in.

- Bullwolf

jblee10
01-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Bag Balm? Holy cow! I just rubbed some into my cracked hands last night and they feel much better today. But I never thought of using it to size cases. How do you clean the cases afterwards?

Bullwolf
01-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Bag Balm? Holy cow! I just rubbed some into my cracked hands last night and they feel much better today. But I never thought of using it to size cases. How do you clean the cases afterwards?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FdukGXInL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bag Balm doesn't seem to attack the cases when I leave it on for extended periods of time.

I have left sized, but un-primed brass with bag balm residue on them and they don't oxidize or discolor like they would when I used water based case lubes like the old RCBS bottle and pad. The best part is that unlike soap based case lubes, Bag Balm doesn't dry my hands out when I use it, and they actually feel better after loading.

I have been using it for few years now with zero stuck cases so far. My usual worst sizing offenders are .223, 30'06, 300 Win Mag, 44 Mag, and 50AE. I have had great results re-sizing brass using Bag Balm as a case lube. I see a few posts about it being used as a sizing lube along with imperial sizing wax in the boolit lube section of Cast Boolits.

I will sometimes wipe cases down my cases with a shop towel. If they are really grungy I use a splash of mineral spirits on the rag (baby oil smells much better indoors than mineral spirits) or I tumble the brass.

- Bullwolf

GerryM
01-15-2012, 07:38 AM
I posted other products that could be used, other then lanolin{my Favorite}
STP works pretty well also caster oil from the drug store{the one you take for health reasons} The new sizing lube from Wipe out [ sharp shooters ] works ok also.
Some of the larger custom bullet makers are that case sizing lube.
I hope this helps/ My favorite is Lanolin 7 parts with 1 part vasoline
micro wave and mix . Let set up and it works extremely well.

phxjedi
01-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Can you use laolin oil with castor oil?

Reload3006
01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Can you use laolin oil with castor oil?

that is exactly what I do. Heat your Lanolin in a double boiler and add the Castor oil stir to blend i use 50 50 but others do other things I like the 50 50 blend its the same blend that Corbins sell as well as Dr Blackmon.

Lizard333
01-16-2012, 09:59 PM
that is exactly what I do. Heat your Lanolin in a double boiler and add the Castor oil stir to blend i use 50 50 but others do other things I like the 50 50 blend its the same blend that Corbins sell as well as Dr Blackmon.

What type of lanolin should I use?? I know there is a couple different types. Also, do you mix it by weight? Thanks for the help.

Reload3006
01-16-2012, 10:04 PM
I got my lanolin from a candle making supply seller on Ebay. I use volume you really cant go wrong as long as its anhydrous lanolin it will come like a big glob of thick grease. gently heat it to thin it. and then just add castor oil until you get the consistency you want. I usually come to 50 50 but that isnt critical. if you want a thinner lube add more castor if you want thicker use less.

GerryM
01-17-2012, 11:47 AM
The proper lanolin is anhydrous Type
Heres alink with the lowest price i've found so far.
www,Chemistrystore.com
And reload is also correct lanolin and caster if you like it also works great.
The reason I use more lanolin is I wash my bullets before I box them
Hot soapy water with a good Hot rinse make them shine.

Lizard333
01-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I went to local Wally World and I can the pharmacy there to order the lanolin for 15$ a pound. That a good deal?

Reload3006
01-19-2012, 11:01 AM
thats pretty reasonable. I dont think you will get it for less anywhere

Reload3006
01-19-2012, 11:04 AM
thats pretty reasonable. I dont think you will get it for less anywhere

so if you have one pound of anhydrous lanolin and you mix it with 16fl oz of castor oil or more you will have 2lbs of swage lube and it goes a long long long way. I use it for everything too not just boolit swaging. I use it to case size. and case reform. it is the best overall reloading/swaging lubricant I have ever came across. Well worth the dough IMO

you can also add it to your Boolit lube to make it more slick and tacky.

GerryM
01-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Using the mix of lanolin and vaseline That I use.
Heres my figures on a small amount {size of a 35mm film container}
About 40,000 lubed jackets J4 6mm 825 long, a thin film goes a long long way"

newcastter
01-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Randy Rat is the go to guy for the anhydrous lanolin, bees wax, carnauba wax, and stearic acid.

I use the anhydrous lanolin with some Militec-1 (http://www.militec1.com/) (synthetic) and stir to a proper mix consistency for all my swage lube needs. It far outperforms the lanolin and castor oil mix.

Randy Rat is definitely the way to go.

DukeInFlorida
01-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Randy Rat's price is $9 a pound:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=96820

Why are you guys trying to reinvent the wheel.... We've given you the good sources for stuff....

sheesh.

FWest
01-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I have used Duke's lube and it works very well.

Randy Rat's price is $9 a pound:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=96820

Why are you guys trying to reinvent the wheel.... We've given you the good sources for stuff....

sheesh.

Reload3006
01-28-2012, 12:20 PM
I have not purchased anything from Mr Rat. I am sure he has great lube. certainly competitive in price but perhaps the Reason for reinventing the wheel is I We dont wish to purchase it from you or your buddy?

runfiverun
01-28-2012, 02:59 PM
wow.
anyways randy is a board memeber and is reliable..
i use 25% castor and 75% anhydrous lanolin, i also spray the cases before hand with 80/20 rubbing alcohol and lanolin.
while it's wet from this i add a swipe of the sticky lan/castor mix.
a small amount does go a looong ways.

alfloyd
01-28-2012, 05:29 PM
"the Reason for reinventing the wheel is I We dont wish to purchase it from you or your buddy?"

That does not leave you very many members here to buy from.

Lafaun

Reload3006
01-28-2012, 05:57 PM
I am not suggesting any one NOT BUY FROM ANYONE. I certainly will buy from Randy Rat if I need a component and he has it for sale and would suggest that anyone do the same. sometimes we make stuff because we just want to. the same for cast boolit lube, why make it when we can buy it from Randy Rat, Jakes, RCBS, Lyman and countless others. Why Swage boolits when we can buy them from Speer , Hornady, Sierra and countless others, Why not reinvent the wheel.

Reload3006
01-28-2012, 06:43 PM
"the Reason for reinventing the wheel is I We dont wish to purchase it from you or your buddy?"

That does not leave you very many members here to buy from.

Lafaun

I have swaged and cast several thousand Boolits with out buying from anyone on here. It hasn't slowed me down one bit. I am not opposed to buying from anyone on here and if the seller wants to sell and they have what I want to buy I will buy. I bought 14lbs of beeswax from a member here. But I didnt have to.

warf73
01-29-2012, 02:35 AM
I don't get why everyone thinks they have to make it? Synthetic 2 stroke oil is $10 for a quart. So far I’ve made over 2k bullets and probably haven't used 1/16 of it yet if that much.
To each there own.

DukeInFlorida
01-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Randy doesn't sell or offer LUBES.........

He sells only the raw materials, at great prices, so you can make your OWN lubes.....

I also do not sell lube or any raw materials.

Randy does NOT pay me any commissions for referrals for beeswax/lanolin/etc.

So, I have no vested interest in sending possible customers his way. He's a good guy, and treats everyone good.

Heck, you can use ear wax if you want some downright cheap lube.

Sheesh.....

I have not purchased anything from Mr Rat. I am sure he has great lube. certainly competitive in price but perhaps the Reason for reinventing the wheel is I We dont wish to purchase it from you or your buddy?

DukeInFlorida
01-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Duke's swaging lube was made (by me) from 50% (by weight) lanolin from Randy Rat, and 50% Militec-1 synthetic oil, purchased from the manufacturer. Heat slightly while mixing.... Allow to come back to room temperature.

I store it in empty 35mm plastic film containers. A dip of your finger, and smear on the brass to get swaged or sized.

My swage lube is NOT for sale. I shared a bit of it with FWest, to show him what he could also do with simple raw materials.

I have used Duke's lube and it works very well.

FWest
01-29-2012, 08:31 PM
And I thought this thred was about what works for swage lube ???

My comment was about his mixture not a pitch but what works. I was using Hornady Unique case lube and it was not working. Duke was nice enough to send me a little to try.

Cane_man
04-25-2013, 10:58 AM
after you mix the lanolin and castor oil what is the consistency of the lube, like vaseline?

how do you apply it to cases, smear a little in a gallon plastic bag and then put the cases in and mix them up?

Reload3006
04-25-2013, 11:09 AM
the lube can be thick or thin depending on room temperature. If you want it thinner add more castor oil want it thicker add more lanolin. It doesn't have to be exact. as far as how to apply the lube ask 100 people and you will get 100 answers. First what I do may not be the best way but it works pretty well for me. If I am de-rimming 22lr brass I take the cleaned brass and tumble them in a plastic bag with about a table spoon of swage lube to make sure they are coated well then de-rim them. After that I wash all the lube off the inside and outside of the jackets because I want to be doubly sure no lube is inside the jacket. I do the same with the cores I am making. after my brass and cores are completely lube free and clean I insert the core in the jacket with clean dry hands. Rubber gloves would be even better. Then as I am core seating I roll the outside only on a lubed case lube pad and seat the core after I have all the cores seated I will wash them again and tumble lube them in the same way as core blanks and de-rimming process. and point form. then back into a mek bath to clean off all the swage lube and I have great projectiles. Its the way I do it not necessarily the best or right way but it works good for me.

GRUMPA
04-25-2013, 11:09 AM
I've made 2 different types of lube, 1 with 50/50 of Lanolin and Castor Oil, and the other Lanolin and Vaseline 50/50. I much prefer the Vaseline and Lanolin as it's a bit thicker where the other is creamier. I just dip my finger in the container and smear it on the case.

Lizard333
04-25-2013, 03:22 PM
For bulk I do my lube like 3006. Goes quickly and evenly. I dab a little on my finger for smaller quantities.

Rolling Stone
04-27-2013, 12:09 AM
It's not mentioned in this thread but Lucas oil treatment (like STP) on an RCBS lube pad works great. I have tried Corbins lanolin lube and some others I have forgotten and prefer the Lucas. Try some and see what you think. It surely works great with a very thin film that comes off in corn cob media.

Bernie52
05-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Dish Washing Soap