PDA

View Full Version : Bfr 50 ae

singleshot
01-12-2012, 11:57 PM
I've been seeing a BFR in 50 AE for sale in various places lately. I assume this is b/c it's not a popular revolver round. Can anyone tell me about it other than what you can read on wikipedia? And make a recommendation one way or the other for heavy cast loads?

dmize
01-13-2012, 12:40 AM
I just got a BFR 50 AE.
I have a Desert Eagle 50 AE and I bought he BFR for the sole purpose of having a 500 JRH cylinder made for it.
DE,s must use jacketed bullets and I have Raniers for it. I simply cannot get the raniers to hold crimp in the BFR. I have a boolit mold coming from Swede for it.
The bullet pull is my only gripe,firing it one shell at a time it will do 3/4 inch groups at 50 yards all day long.
I think a cast boolit with a crimp groove would hep immensely.

Ed K
01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I think a cast boolit with a crimp groove would hep immensely.

Only possible with the JRH though as the 50AE needs to headspace on the mouth

44man
01-13-2012, 12:31 PM
The AE is a sad choice for a revolver, too much recoil with the taper crimp.
If you want a .50 in a BFR, get the JRH.

Gunslinger1911
01-13-2012, 04:21 PM
I have a Ruger Blackhawk re-chambered to 5 shot 50AE.
Maybe I lucked out and got a slightly undersized charge/flair die, even though the BH is pretty light and the loads can be pretty stiff, ( read - kicks like the dickins !!), I haven't had issues with bullet walk with cast.

Unsized cast 325g SWC (not sure exact dia)
Pretty healthy case to boolet tension
REAL healthy taper crimp

ebner glocken
01-13-2012, 08:21 PM
I bought a BFR in 50AE not long ago to go along with the desert eagle. Only two loads fired in it currently is this one and the hornady 300 XTP factory. Haven't had much time and very few rounds through it but looks promising. The bullet on the left is the 375gr sp group buy, I would like to try with the JRH but no cylinder as of yet (will get one sometime soon). Recoil with the AE was apparent but hardly brutal.

Any of you with experience with these we'de love to hear.

frankenfab
01-14-2012, 12:17 PM
I had a Freedom Arms in 50AE. Never could stop the boolits from jumping crimp, but I never looked in to sizing options, either. The issue I see with a smaller expander is, the brass is very thick, and could swage the boolit.

44man
01-14-2012, 12:59 PM
I had a Freedom Arms in 50AE. Never could stop the boolits from jumping crimp, but I never looked in to sizing options, either. The issue I see with a smaller expander is, the brass is very thick, and could swage the boolit.
Boolit pull is a real problem. We even had pull problems with a .454 using factory cast loads in a SRH. Those loads would stop a Freedom when the bear is on top of you.
Larger calibers and heavier boolits just make things worse.
You can have a longer throat but any boolit movement will ruin your accuracy.
Brass has a hold limit. You need to get over it.

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2012, 07:06 AM
ill go this for an answer. Ive seem them shot in relovers and DEs and they tend to be one of the most accurate big bore guns if you load properly. Like 44man said in a revolver you have two choises either you need lots of neck tension or have to roll crimp and hope they go bang everytime. the best cure for them is to load them down to a level that doesnt have a bunch of recoil. Run a 350 at about a 1000 fps and you wont have the problem to start with and that load will do alot of killing. As to buying one the only reason id consider it is if the gun was CHEAP, which they sometimes are. If you have to pay even a fair price for it id save for another year and buy a 50we. that said theres a perfect platform for the AE. Ive allways wanted 4 inch redhawk chambered for it that used moon clips. That way you could use your clips for headspacing and crimp your bullets hard and stoke it up. To me it would make a great gun for hunting stuff that bites. Fast reloads and an easy way to carry spare ammo.

44man
01-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Same old question. Why buy a big magnum and have to download it for function?
The .45 ACP revolver is the same, clips and a good roll crimp is what works best.

Whitworth
01-15-2012, 12:17 PM
The .50 AE BFR is just a cylinder change away from being a .500 JRH, which pretty much has no flies on it. If you can get the BFR in .50AE cheap, there is a logical and economical solution.

saz
01-15-2012, 01:11 PM
+1 here. I was on the lookout for a BFR in 50AE in order to convert to 500JRH, but couldnt find one inexpensive enough to warrant the cylinder conversion. Maybe someday.....

dmize
01-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Just keep looking.
I got mine on GunBroker really cheap and the extra cylinder is $190 + shipping.

subsonic
01-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Just keep looking.
I got mine on GunBroker really cheap and the extra cylinder is $190 + shipping.

Was.

Last I checked the cylinder had gone up to $200 something (don't remember exact number). Also figure in shipping both ways at $30+ one way.

singleshot
01-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys! I guess that explains why they are $100 less for the same model/rimmed cartridge. I guess I'll just hold out for a 454 or 500 S&w. I'd like to get a 6.5" or 7.5" barrel. The 10" barrels just don't seem as useful/handy to me.

saz
01-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Keep an eye out for that 500S&W, you can find used ones for a deal. Most guys that buy them shoot them a little then figure out they dont like the recoil at all. The nice thing about handloading that big case is its easy to load for and with a careful selection of powder it can go from mild to "LOOSEN YOUR GRIP AND IT WILL TAKE OUT YOUR FACE!".