PDA

View Full Version : RCE or Blackmon Dies?

Utah Shooter
01-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Just curious what you think?

I do have a set of Corbin R-Type dies for a reloading press. Just looking at getting something different. Anyone have any thoughts for .224?

shooterg
01-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Blackmon supplied 7s .224 dies for my Corbin press a few years back. Very nice , still making bullets !
Some cheaper than Corbin.

alfloyd
01-13-2012, 12:42 AM
I have a set of 223 dies from Dr. Blackmon. I made my own de-rimming die. I also bought the swaging conversion for my Rock Chuck press at the same time from him. That required me to drill a hole in the body of the RC press. The conversion kit included a new ram with a slot for the auto eject system and a threaded top, the pin to put into the hole I drilled and a floating top punch holder. The swaging dies screw into the top of the press ram, not into the top of the press. There was about a 3 month lead time when I got my set about 2 years ago, but very much worth the wait.

Hope this helps you.

Lafaun

GerryM
01-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Yes the upside down system works ok but better get some extra ejection pins/
The point operation can be tough on them. the top die system is way better for pointing.
the system you have is really good for core forming and core seating.

MIBULLETS
01-13-2012, 08:53 AM
@GerryM

Why do you feel that one system of pointing is any better? Both use a ejection pin to eject the bullet from the die. My belief is the the quality of the dies and parts is more important than if the bullet is formed in the bottom or top of the press.

Reload3006
01-13-2012, 12:30 PM
not sure of your question. Both make great dies. I have the same set up that alfloyd has in 44 Dr Blackmon makes good stuff that will make you good boolits. RCE makes IMO Better stuff that is stronger. But you will pay about 100 to 200 more a set from RCE. I have both and I like both. My nod would be to RCE just because its bigger and stronger I have broken my Core swage and Core seat on my RC conversion from dr blackmon. And I still have the stock handle on my RockChucker. So that you know also if you have a Mighty Mite Corbin press Dr. Blackmon dies will work on it.

MIBULLETS
01-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Gerry is refering to dies used in a reloading press with the die at the top, both RCE and Blackmon make their dies to screw into the ram of the press. I don't see why point forming either way should matter or the difference in ejection pins. I use Corbin dies/press and have not had any issues. I was just wondering why he felt that way.