PDA

View Full Version : Best Backstrap Recipe

375RUGER
01-12-2012, 11:26 PM
I found this on another site and I have tried this with bear, oryx and elk--this is good stuff. I've heard it's good with lion also and i think it would be good with just about any game you want to use. I've served it to several people on different occasions and no one doesn't like it. [i put my comments in the []'s, everything else if from the OP]

Ingredients:
Deer backstrap.
Bacon- thin sliced and cheap[i use thick sliced]
toothpics
cream cheese[i use 1/2 cream cheese and 1/2 goat feta]
kokoman terakyi-soy sauce maranade[not totally necessary unless you just like soy sauce]
garlic powder (not garlic salt!)
pepper
pepper-Jack cheese- thin slices[i sometimes forget to add this and actually prefer it without anyway]
1 link of deer sausage- cut or shredded into fine pieces. [i don't use this]
Jalapenos- remove seeds and cut into slivers [i use jalapenos, green chile and habanero]
onion- Cut into slivers 1in long[i sautee these in butter and olive oil]
meat tenderizer mallet

Lay the backstap out and cut 3/4 in filets.

Take a meat tenderizor and beat until the meat is flattened out to the size of a softball.

Now dip the meat into a shallow dish of the Kokoman maranade. Then dust with garlic powder and pepper.

Now spread cream cheese on one entire side of the meat. The more the better.

Now sprinke some of your shredded deer sausage in the middle.

Add your onions and Jalapeno slivers. I usually us 1 or 2 Jap. slivers and 2 or 3 onion slivers.

Now take one side of the meat and roll it all up like a sushi roll.

Wrap the roll in bacon and secure with toothpics.

Now cook on the grill until the bacon is cooked like you like it.[i like my bacon just done, not crispy and this leaves the meat inside just about medium so that it's not over cooked]
About five minutes before you think they are completely done add the slice of pepper jack cheese to top of each roll and let melt.

Remove and cool for a couple of mintues (the cream cheese will be very hot)
and enjoy.

I promise you will not be disappointed!

Lloyd Smale
01-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Id maybe try this but not with back straps. I just cant see pounding backstrap flat. Ive got a steak cuber and would rather save the back straps and use a poor cut of meat. most of my backstraps go on the grill with nothing but butter brushed on and a bit of salt and pepper when there about done. Or there chicken fried for breakfast.

jeepguy242
01-13-2012, 06:52 AM
mmmmmmm... butter salt peppered backstrap.... now im hungry!

Reload3006
01-13-2012, 11:06 AM
I have never gotten fancy with venison back strap just slice it thin roll it in salted peppered flour and fry it in lard or bacon grease. I absolutely love it that way. Fancy cookn is great and I am sure I would like it but fried is the way for me.

sundog
01-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Reload3006, that is how I like it, also. Good hot 'cast-arn' skillet, and cook it fast. And maybe some fresh biscuits right from the oven. Mmmmm....