PDA

View Full Version : .38-55 rifling rate of turn?

Kraschenbirn
03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Does anyone happen to know the rate of turn used by Uberti in their .38-55 High Walls? Got any thoughts on whether or not it will stabilize a 300 grainer?

I snagged a nearly new Uberti High Wall off GunBroker last night and I'm trying to get a headstart on working up loads. Sure, I'm getting ahead of myself...between getting payment to the seller and shipment to my local FFL, the gun probably won't be here before the middle of next week...but I'm beginning to put together a shopping list of what I'm going to need to get up and running.

My plan, as of now, calls for using cases formed from 30-30 brass (mainly 'cause I've got immediate access to all the 30-30 I might need) and a plain-base cast boolit (probably 25/1 alloy) loaded over Goex FFg. Will be using plain, old lard/beeswax/alox lube...either pan-lubed or through my Lyman 450, depending upon bore measurements. Anything I've missed?

Last item: Previous owner, supposedly, has fired "less than two boxes of factory loads" through the piece. I imagine these were J-Bs...should I "de-copper" the bore before starting to "break-in" the barrel?

Bill

felix
03-05-2007, 09:23 PM
For 300 grainers, go for a 16 twist. The guns typically come in 18 twist, and 12 twist. ... felix

SharpsShooter
03-06-2007, 07:53 AM
Will be using plain, old lard/beeswax/alox lube...either pan-lubed or through my Lyman 450, depending upon bore measurements. Anything I've missed?

Last item: Previous owner, supposedly, has fired "less than two boxes of factory loads" through the piece. I imagine these were J-Bs...should I "de-copper" the bore before starting to "break-in" the barrel?

Bill

If you use alox and Black Powder, plan on hard, tar-like fouling that degrades accuracy quickly. Stay away from the alox and use Bullshop's NASA or Lar's BP recipe. I have used NASA with very good results and several have posted the same with Lar's.

Yes clean the bore completely and as you say "de-copper" it. Any remaining copper will act as a lead scraper and give you leading problems that you otherwise might not have.

SS

Boz330
03-06-2007, 11:27 AM
My C-Sharps 75 in 38-55 has a 15 twist and shoots the Lyman 330 grainer very well and the Lee 250 for hunting Shoots min of deer. Fun fact I was using SPG lube and after I switched to the NASA lube the 250 shot tighter groups.

Bob

SharpsShooter
03-06-2007, 06:54 PM
My C-Sharps 75 in 38-55 has a 15 twist and shoots the Lyman 330 grainer very well and the Lee 250 for hunting Shoots min of deer. Fun fact I was using SPG lube and after I switched to the NASA lube the 250 shot tighter groups.

Bob

I had the same experience. Switching to NASA from SPG allowed me to fire 10 shot groups that measured less than 1.5" at 100yds without cleaning or blow tubing. Previous to switching, the best my 75 would do was 2" , usually a bit more.

SS

John Boy
03-06-2007, 08:21 PM
Bill, here's the link for your 38-55 information ... http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/boregroovetwist/bore_groove_twist-Uberti.htm

As for stabilizing 330grainers, my H&R (1:18 twist) shoots the Lyman 378674 - 335gr bullet out to 300yds. My groups are in the 4 -5" range

I shoot these bullets @ 0.380 using 16 Bhn alloy because of the H&R shallow grooves. With the Uberti, 1:20 alloy should work good also

Kraschenbirn
03-07-2007, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=John Boy;157800]Bill, here's the link for your 38-55 information ... http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/boregroovetwist/bore_groove_twist-Uberti.htm

Hey, John Boy...

Thanks a whole bunch for the link. I Googled about every combination I could think of trying to find a chart like that without any success.

Looks like I may be starting out with something around a 275-grainer. An old buddy from my IHMSA days used to shoot a DW .375 SuperMag and thinks he still has...somewhere...an NEI 2-holer that drops (as he recalls) 260-265 RNFPs using his approximation of #2 Alloy. Now, if he can only remember into which box of "old reloadin' stuff" he squirreled it away...

Bill

Boz330
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
With that twist rate that should be just about perfect. If you want to try some 330s drop me a PM and I'll send you a couple to try.

Bob