PDA

View Full Version : Scoped SRH .44

01-12-2012, 10:16 AM
I been working with my SRH .44 and found a load it likes with the LEE 310. I mounted a cheap Nc Star scope on it while I wait for the money for a Burris or Nikon. This is my first scoped handgun, shooting off sandbags @ 50 yards I can keep 3 shots groups around an inch most of the time. If I get a flier it's likely me not the gun.

Question for the guys who shoot handguns at longer distance. Do you lock up on the gun and try to manage recoil or maintain a light grip and let the gun do what it wants? If I hold tight after three shots I get a tremble and groups open up.

Do you set the barrel or the front of the frame on the front sandbag? And does it make a difference like it does on a rifle? Just looking for advice for long range shooting. I've shot a lot of USPSA and some IDPA but never much over 25 yards or a bench.
Thanks

DragoonDrake
01-12-2012, 10:40 AM
First yes it matters to my SRH if you rest on frame or on barrel. I have found frame to be more accurate.

Second, I don't try to stop the recoil, it will never happen. I keep enough grip that I have no fear that the gun will leave my hand. I would not call it a light grip, but I also don't get a tremble.

Third, my SRH also shoots the Lee 310 like a champ. I do have to crimp in the top groove though, what about yours? I have found 2400 shoots very well, IIRC I am using 14.5grs. What powder are you using?

98Redline
01-12-2012, 10:46 AM
Consistent grip is more important than either a death grip of a dead fish grip. I try to pick somewhere in the middle. I just want to hang on to it tight enough that my grip does not shift as the gun recoils up. Any tighter than that and you can certainly get the shakes. They type of grip on your gun makes a huge difference as well. If the grip does not fit your hand properly you may find that you need to grip extra hard just to keep it in place.

As far as barrel or frame on the bags, I think that you will find quite a few differing opinions regarding this.

If you are sandbagging to zero in for hunting then many sixgun shooters prefer to rest their forearms on the bag and keep the revolver suspended. The intent is that the gun will recoil the same as when shot offhand and will yield a consistent point of impact shot either way.

If plain and simple accuracy is your goal then laying the barrel on the bags may give you a bit more of a consistent hold however your POI will probably be different than when shot offhand.

For my shooting, I prefer to lay the barrel on the bags BUT keep the butt of the gun off of the bench. My bags are high enough that I grip the gun the same way as when shooting offhand. IMHO if the butt of the gun is free to move as it does when shooting offhand then your POI will not really change....at least that is what I have seen so far.

01-12-2012, 11:00 AM
I have found 2400 shoots very well, IIRC I am using 14.5grs. What powder are you using?

I'm using 2400 also. I tried the bottom groove and didn't get that accuracy I wanted. Took the load from the Lyman 49 Handbook it is their accuracy load for 2400 15.7 gr. Runs 1140 FPS on a 50 degree day. Get easy extraction and no signs of pressure.

bobthenailer
01-12-2012, 11:20 AM
For a handgun scope i would go with Burris or better yet a Leupold 2x the nikon crosshairs are to thin and step down to a even smaller cross hair about mid length , the Burris & leupold crosshairs step down to a smaller size more towards the intersection of the crosshairs but both crosshairs are bigger than a nikon . IMO the thinner crosshairs are ok for presion from the bench but to small for most real hunting senarois.
I usually rest the front on the frame on the bag for load development as its steader for me and just rest my wrists on the bag when sighting in. as it does make a difference in bullet impact.and is truer to point of impact when off hand shooting.

44man
01-12-2012, 11:38 AM
I been working with my SRH .44 and found a load it likes with the LEE 310. I mounted a cheap Nc Star scope on it while I wait for the money for a Burris or Nikon. This is my first scoped handgun, shooting off sandbags @ 50 yards I can keep 3 shots groups around an inch most of the time. If I get a flier it's likely me not the gun.

Question for the guys who shoot handguns at longer distance. Do you lock up on the gun and try to manage recoil or maintain a light grip and let the gun do what it wants? If I hold tight after three shots I get a tremble and groups open up.

Do you set the barrel or the front of the frame on the front sandbag? And does it make a difference like it does on a rifle? Just looking for advice for long range shooting. I've shot a lot of USPSA and some IDPA but never much over 25 yards or a bench.
Thanks
Good shooting and a good boolit.
Hold the gun short of shaking, control it and do not let the gun do what it wants to do. Comfort without the gun changing.
I set my grip on a firm bag and the end of the barrel on a bag. I tried the frame rest too many times but I can't hold steady. I tried wrist rests and shake.
Try Creedmore with the gun on the side of your leg. You need a blast shield on your leg but it is very steady and will equal POI to off hand.
Use what works for you for a rest. Never let the gun take over. You are the master.

freedom475
01-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Don't froget the bushnell Elete... They (FA) told me in person that it is the ONLY other scope that Freedom Arms will put on there big revlovers (other than the Leupold) They told me that it was the only other scope that didn't get broken by there big guns.

I have the Busnell, the Leupy, and the Burris, My SRH bent the Burris and broke the x-hairs in my Leupold. and the Bushnell is still going strong..(and the Bushnell elete 3200 Rainguard HD 2X6 was on sale for $189 at Natches)

I think that grip should be just about as solid as you can hold it.(but not so tight the shakes start) this way you will have a more consistant grip.. "Solid as I can grip" is an easy way to remove one more variable because my strength is pretty consistant and I don't have to wonder if I am holding the same as last time because I am squeezing as solid as I can. (with my hand and forearm strength, not my whole body..lol