PDA

View Full Version : Is ammoguide.com worth it?

alecbh
01-12-2012, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I couldn't really find anywhere specific to put this, but this section seemed to be the closest fit. Anyways. I'm a relatively new shooter, but I'm already getting into reloading out of necessity; my centerfires are a K98 and a m1895 Nagant. Cheap ammo there is not, especially for the Nagant.:roll: Problem with that is that there's no "official" data out there, only extrapolated data from chrony tests of original Russian military loads, and no one has done any detailed pressure testing on the Nagants, so there's no known limit. All that said, I've done umpteen million hours of internet searching, found a lot of interesting information about how guys have loaded for it, but it's all just forum postings, etc. I stumbled across ammoguide.com, and wouldn't you know it, they have a page on the 7.62x38r, and have some loads worked up by members. Only problem there being that you can't see anything about powder or charge weight without being a ~$20/yr member. And I'm on a tight budget, so I can't afford $20 here or there that doesn't turn out to be money well spent.

So, what say ye? Is the $20 for a year's access a good buy in your experience?

cgtreml
01-12-2012, 08:59 AM
I've been a member of Ammoguide for some time. Now I reload for a dozen or so calibers and quite a few loads for each. If I just reloaded for 2 I would have second thoughts. I love the site. They have more to offer than just load data. Let me know if I can help with a couple of loads. I can PM you a few if you want.

dromia
01-13-2012, 04:27 AM
I've been a member from the start, I don't really use it for load data more for cartridge dimensions and comparisons for which I find it really useful and worth the $20 as I go through a lot of different calibres.

For the odd starting load then probably not as you can get that easily on the net or from forums such as these.

In your case where you seem to be unable to get that Nagant data elsewhere then it might just be worth $20 to you, only you can place a value on that.

alecbh
01-26-2012, 01:37 AM
Thanks guys. At this point, I think it's not worth it to me, as the same kind of information is available via internet researchers. That's what I wanted to know. cgtreml, I may take you up on that. School just started up again though, so I'm too busy to do much other than homework and papers. :(