PDA

View Full Version : I'm redeeming myself

Bret4207
03-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Some of you who have been here a loooooong time may recall a post I made years ago about the 25 auto I bought. The title of the post was "I've sinned". Well, it's going and being traded for an Airweight S+W, the 38 Special job with the shrouded hammer. I think thats the M-37? Anyway, my testosterone level is rising just thinking about it. The little Beretta was fun, but just never caught my fancy. It was nice while it lasted baby.....

And for those of you who think anything that doesn't start with a "4" isn't a real gun- I still have the 44 Bulldog! OOOOOOHHHHRRRRAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

NVcurmudgeon
03-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Bret, making such a big jump up in power requires that you take sensible precautions to safeguard yourself. To protect your hands, I would suggest, as one gunwriter did in the early days of the .44 Magnum, that you wear heavy gloves, and a two-handed hold is mandatory until you build up strength and experience. Good luck.

Bret4207
03-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I know, I'm gonna have to get rid of my pink shooting gloves and the lavender tote bag I was using. I understand the 38 Special is capable of actually penetrating items of near bullet proof toughness like pine boards, soda cans and even paper. That was never sure thing with the 25. I hope this won't aggravate my carpal tunnel too much.

Dale53
03-05-2007, 08:06 PM
NVcurmudgeon;
You're gonna laugh, perhaps, but one of the worst handguns that I have shot for "violent recoil" is a .357 magnum Scandium. That revolver only weighs 12 oz. In fact, it was brutal with standard .38 Special loads.

On the other hand, I like my .38 S&W Airweight Model 637 (with hammer). It recoils smartly with +P but doesn't hurt. If you put a pair of Pachmayr Compact grips it is positively fun to shoot (but it does bulk up the gun just a bit).

Right now, I am shooting just standard 158 Lee RF for practice and save the +P for "serious" only (125 gr Jacketed HP +P). I don't want to beat the little feller to death[smilie=1:.

Dale53

threett1
03-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Hmmmm You said in another post you had 6 kids? Your testoterone level is rising? Momma better run.:mrgreen:

Buckshot
03-05-2007, 10:24 PM
............threett1, naw don't sweat it. I think Brett had to hire 3 of those kids, bless his heart!

...............Buckshot

NVcurmudgeon
03-06-2007, 12:59 AM
NVcurmudgeon;
You're gonna laugh, perhaps, but one of the worst handguns that I have shot for "violent recoil" is a .357 magnum Scandium. That revolver only weighs 12 oz. In fact, it was brutal with standard .38 Special loads.

On the other hand, I like my .38 S&W Airweight Model 637 (with hammer). It recoils smartly with +P but doesn't hurt. If you put a pair of Pachmayr Compact grips it is positively fun to shoot (but it does bulk up the gun just a bit).

Right now, I am shooting just standard 158 Lee RF for practice and save the +P for "serious" only (125 gr Jacketed HP +P). I don't want to beat the little feller to death[smilie=1:.

Dale53

Dale, I believe you. Just think of the weight to HP ratio of a 12 ounce .357. Scary!

MtGun44
03-06-2007, 01:31 AM
Dale53,

You da man! Shooting the 12 oz .357 mag with mag loads !!

I have a S&W 329 (26 oz .44 mag) and a S&W 340 (11 oz .38 Spl +P). The
340 is a bit nastier with +P 158 gr loads than the .44 mag. I would have
zero interest in shooting 158 gr 357 mag loads in the scandium alloy
wonder. No thanks, I'll take the 329 with max effort .44 mag loads instead.
The 329 makes the 629 MtnGun recoil seem positively enjoyable!:-D

Also - these guns have ALUMINUM alloy frames with a bit of scandium added
for strength. Seems that S&W would have you believe that they are made
of scandium.

Both are wonderful to carry and a terror to shoot.

Trooper Bret - I still have my .25 auto. I figure the 26 oz .44 mag offsets
the negative 'manliness factor' of the .25ACP. :neutral:

Bill

TDB9901
03-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Brett,
I believe the shrouded hammer model is the 38. The 37 is the open hammer.

I've had one for several years. You'll like it a lot !!!!!

Tom

Bret4207
03-06-2007, 01:17 PM
What a buncha wise guys! Yeah, I did have to "hire" 4 of the kids, but it sure seems like they're mine. They whine like mine, ask for useless junk like mine, I wipe their noses and butts, worry about them and they come to us with all their problems like mine so I guess I'm DAD!

Picked the S+W up today. Yes, it's a model 38 Airweight, an older model without the -1, -2, etc. so I understand it's recommended for standard pressure stuff only. Not a problem. A 358156HP at 800-850 fps should do all I ever want. Maybe I'll try that 180 gr Lee PB job I've got. Or the H+G 145 gr Wadcutter, or go for the old Super Police load with the 200 gr RN, or use that little 135 gr SWC I found some place, or........ heck, I'll try 'em all!

It's a neat little rig. The shop owner found me an ancient polished aluminum Grip Adapter and there was a holster in the "buy one, get one free" box. Still have to get a half dozen Bianchi Speed Strips, a pocket holster, and maybe a belly band or ankle holster. I'm going to have to widen the rear sight and color the front sight a bit. Old eyes.

I had a Colt Cobra at one time that I put what today would be considerd +P+ loads through. (12.5 2400/358156 seated in 38 brass to the lower crimp groove, the old Skeeter Skelton load originally published back in the 40's or 50's by Lyman) I won't try that, although I had no issues with the Colt. A simple and sane load will be found and it should work for carry and dealing with cattle, bad dogs and hogs. Thats all I can ask for.

Sure is a step up from the 25 although I had no problems with the Beretta. Nice little gun, but my wife never cared for it and it's "neat" factor wore off. If I miss it I can always go get the $49.00 FN I saw there today.

Bret4207
03-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Oh! How sweet it is!!! 5 rounds of 145 gr WC backed by 2.7 gr Bullseye at 7 yards offhand and fast put all 5 inside the aiming circle which was the size of a soda can! 4 of 5 inside about an inch almost touching. At 20 yards I had a nice 1.5 inch group, fired much slower. COOL! I gotta open that rear sight notch and the white out on the front sight isn't permanent, but DANG MAN!

TDB9901
03-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Told ya you'd like it!!!!!!!!!!!

FISH4BUGS
03-06-2007, 07:18 PM
....wanna try a REAL S&W? Try the 640.....steel, not alloy.....shrouded hammer, DAO, 2 1/4 inch barrel....in 357 MAGNUM!
357 w/ 125 gr jhp over 16 (or is it 18) something grains of 296 sends out a 3 foot muzzle flash! FIRE FOR EFFECT! It cleans out lanes on either side of me on the indoor range.
The only thing I don't like about the alloy frame guns is that they don't hold up to the pounding of a lot of shooting. Shooting standard 38's will last a long time, but not as long as the steel frame guns..... I had a 3" Model 36 SB HB that I probably put 7,000 (or more) rounds through it over many years.....but that gun would SHOOT!

Bret4207
03-07-2007, 08:36 AM
This girl will probably get mostly light stuff and I'll find a reasonable carry load. There's a far greater chance I'll use it on a bad bull or dog than the 2 legged varmints so I'll develop the load with that in mind.

Bret4207
03-07-2007, 04:31 PM
I took it out to a sandpit on lunch. I ran out of my other WC loads yesterday so I was using factory Remington Matchmaster WC with a 1970 date on them. I have NO idea where I got that full box of vintage ammo. Anyway, yesterday I may have just been lucky with my 20 or so rounds. Today the factory stuff was grouping about 4" at 25 yards. I threw a few out too. Tried a little point shooting, it's no M-28 or 19 but at 3-7 yards it's ok. I also tried a few a about 75 yards. Did manage to scare some rocks by holding all the front sight up Elmer style. Not bad for a 1 7/8" barrel and Weaver stance. Maybe when I get a chance to load up ome more of the H+G WC it'll like them better, like yesterday.

I like it. I do wish it had the smooth, wider trigger instead of the narrow grooved trigger. I really need to widen the rear notch a bit and color the front sight or something.

scottiemom
03-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I know, I'm gonna have to get rid of my pink shooting gloves and the lavender tote bag I was using. I understand the 38 Special is capable of actually penetrating items of near bullet proof toughness like pine boards, soda cans and even paper. That was never sure thing with the 25. I hope this won't aggravate my carpal tunnel too much.

any chance you still have the lavender tote bag??? I need a new bag for my S&W .357 model 19!:roll:

Ricochet
03-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Hey, I'd like to have one of those tiny pocket pistols to play with, but I'd rather have it in .22LR for ammo affordability.

On the macho gun end, I recently rediscovered my Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster meant for an 8 3/8" M29, which I bought in 1976 to pack my Super Blackhawk when it was the only handgun I owned. I carried it concealed for a good while before getting a more convenient Government Model .45 and Bulldog .44. Anyway, I put it on and tried my Colt Walker replica in it. Fits perfectly. It's easily concealable under a light jacket, and whips out in a flash.

Nueces
03-15-2007, 09:52 PM
"Are you talkin' to ME?"

Dale53
03-16-2007, 01:15 AM
Ricochet;
Since you cast bullets and reload your own, how can you be bothered by ammo cost with a .38 Special? Using Bullseye, a 158 gr bullet of your choice,and 3.5 grs of powder, you can get 2000 loads per lb. Primers cost $.02-.03 each, so we have got the reloading cost WAY down.

Just load up those suckers 1000 at a time and go to it!!:Fire: :Fire:

Dale53

Ricochet
03-16-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm not talking about .38 Special, for which I do cast and reload. I was talking about the Beretta .25 Automatic. The .25s are pricey little things from the factory. Auto pistol cases can be tricky to chase down, pick up and reload. (I've spent hours looking for a single .45 Auto case, hoping not to break up a full box quantity. I couldn't reload for a Cz52 without employing one of those brass catcher devices, it flings cases to the moon.) I haven't got dies or a mould for a .25. Little boolits like that can be challenging to cast, I hear. The Lee Soup Can .30 is the smallest boolit I presently cast.

shooting on a shoestring
03-16-2007, 10:47 PM
A little .38 that shot well and a lot till it finally loosened up. Barrel/cylinder gap 0.012", hammer started dropping before the cylinder locked in DA. But in SA (which I usually shoot) that little gun would shoot some suprising groups. Its currently in rehab at S&W. They're setting the barrel back, fitting a new hand, and I'm sure anxious to get it back. All this 38 talk is getting to me. I'll do the next best thing and go shoot my SP101 tomorrow.

I miss that little J-frame most in the evenings round the house. It fit so nice and easy in the pocket of my kaki shorts. The SP101 is considerably more obtrusive in that role.

I put a dab of orange night glow paint on the front sight of the SP101. That sure helped. I also appreciate the larger, wider sights of the SP101.

Sure do look forward to getting my Mod 60 back. There's about 3 coffee cans of loaded .38 brass that needs unloading real bad.

Bret4207
03-17-2007, 09:41 AM
Smiff currently lists a 5" round butt J frame 38 with adjustable sights. $$$$$$$$$$ But a great trail gun. Be even better in 32 mag, but that'll never happen.

Lloyd Smale
03-17-2007, 12:58 PM
take me out behind the wood shed and spank me but i like the .25 autos. Theres one in the counsol of my truck all the time. A litte beretta. It is very accurate for a little gun and has never once failed to go off or jam. Its the only gun though that i have that i dont reload or cast for. My big club fingers stuggle loading 32mags and probably wouldnt do well handling those little cases. I know one thing i wouldnt want to stand in front of someone with one loaded with gold dots. I think a double tap of them would take care of about any threat.