PDA

View Full Version : New Yugo M48

rjathon
01-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks to all for help with my M96 Mauser. Now another question. New M48 Mausers are available. What would be the process for breaking in the barrel and selecting the proper cast bullet for accurate use in this rifle? Would it be best to fireform brass with jacketed bullets and then neck sizing for cast bullets after that?

I've been directed to LBT's website: http://lbtmoulds.com/measurebore.shtml

Is it worth going to the trouble of slugging the throat and barrel to get a bullet that fits perfectly? Is lapping the bore necessary ?

It would be interesting to start with a virgin rifle and from the get go do things right.

What is the right path to go?

The goal is to enjoy the process and do it correctly and learn a bunch while doing if.

Thanks,
Russ

01-11-2012, 11:10 PM
New, as in unissued? Who's selling them?

rjathon
01-11-2012, 11:38 PM
New, as in unissued? Who's selling them?

I think a bunch of those were imported about 10 yrs ago. I have the opportunity to buy one from an individual. I wonder if it would be fun and rewarding to try to perfect it or if it would just be a money pit and source of frustration.

I'm going to try the "cruise missile" in my beautiful $80 M96 but am considering going the LBT route in that M48 if others have done it successfully and think it could really be accurate and fun.

Many years ago I was an avid jacketed bullet shooter. I quit as a medical condition made the blast and recoil intolerable. I went to a .36 muzzleloader with 65gr round balls. I've just discovered the world of casting bullets for old military rifles and I see the potential of bringing back the fun of discovering accuracy and shooting enjoyment without the recoil.

Slower bullets, shorter range, but still challenging and fun.

Russ

rjathon
01-12-2012, 01:56 AM
Oops. This thread just became theoretical. The rifle is an M48A and it is not new.

Russ

Buckshot
01-12-2012, 03:45 AM
...............Still okay. If it's in any kind of shape the 8x57's are normally pretty simple to get shooting. Not a whole lot of boolit choices is the major negative. I have 4 Turks, a Hakim (haven't tried cast in it :-)), CZ24 and a CZ24/47.

http://www.fototime.com/79DAE87BBF8BE29/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/AABE7B670EA6ED9/standard.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/1D8EC3B370AC953/standard.jpg

This is the CZ24/47. It has quite a few dings and dents but the metal is all clean and in good shape. I think the stock is Elm.

................Buckshot

01-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Oops. This thread just became theoretical. The rifle is an M48A and it is not new.

Russ

I was getting excited, thinking about the prospects of buying an un-issued milsurp. Thanks for the correction.

I've a Yugo re-arsenalled K98k that I just started casting for, using Lee's C324-175-1R mould. Initial testing has been done at 50-yards, but I've been extremely pleased with its accuracy.

rjathon
01-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Oh my. Here is another problem. I can't see the dang rear sight! I used to live in MT and enjoyed
shooting my Mauser with military surplus ammo or reloads. The M96 shot everything well so I bought factory second bullets by the pound. For 8mm I just ordered Egyptian surplus for $80 a thousand delivered.

I've been out of shooting for ten years. Now I wake up to primers costing three times as much, brass cases almost $.50 each, bullets are very expensive, powder is way up, and surplus cheap ammo is long gone. What happened?

To top it all off I'm older and can't see the rear sight! I could mount a rear aperture sight I suppose but I just hate to alter a historical rifle. God bless the Enfields that use aperture sights. I wonder why the Germans didn't use them they are so much better.

Luckily I put a receiver sight on an old M96 before I knew better.

Russ

rjathon
01-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I was getting excited, thinking about the prospects of buying an un-issued milsurp. Thanks for the correction.

I've a Yugo re-arsenalled K98k that I just started casting for, using Lee's C324-175-1R mould. Initial testing has been done at 50-yards, but I've been extremely pleased with its accuracy.

Please keep posting on the success of your current project it sounds great.
I'm ignorant about casting so details will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ

Von Dingo
01-12-2012, 06:01 PM
There are a few different scout scope mounts that will not require any alteration of the rifle, other than removing the rear sight.

The others (costs up), can't really help you. The metal market is up, a true indicator of inflation.

Larry Gibson
01-12-2012, 06:12 PM
I have 2 M48s and a M24/47. One of the M48s is in new condition and I keep it as is. The other M48 and the M24/47 were both rebuilds with dinged stocks and mismatched parts. I got them as "shooters' and IMO they hold no "historical value". I've bedded the M24/47,, forged the bolt handle, D&T'd it and have a 6X Leupold on it. It will shoot sub moa with 175 Sierra's. It als shoots the 323471HP iand the 323470 into moa. The other M48 has a Lyman M57SME receiver sight because my old eyes aren't so good with the issue rear sight anymore. It makes it an excellent shooter. I bought if for $105 about 10 - 12 years back with a gob of Turk and Equadoran 8x57 ammo for about 5 cents a round. I figure when I get done shooting all that milsurp up I can just throw the M48 away (I won't though) and it will have cost me 7 cents a shot............trouble is I'm shooting more cast through that M48 than milsurp so I've got a lot of shootin' left to do:bigsmyl2:

Larry Gibson

looseprojectile
01-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Just shooting it. After a very detailed cleaning of course. 2400 or SR4759 works well for me.
Those old/new surplus guns often need a little tweaking to shoot their best. Those Yugo 98K clones are some of the better ones. They have tripled or more in price in just a couple or three years.

If there are any problems you can address them as they come up.

My take on breaking in a new barrel is something that gunwriters came up with to get a paycheck that month. Course I have not bought many new guns.

Get yourself a tub of J&B Non- embedding bore cleaning compound. Use it.
Good luck.

Life is good

leadman
01-12-2012, 07:14 PM
The Lyman 8mm Loverin boolit is a good shooter in every 8mm rifle I have shot it in.
I think Lyman sells the peel and stick aperatures that cling to your glasses lense. I have another brand that has a metal frame with the peep in it and it really makes a difference on being able to see the rear sight.

The scope mount that replaces the rear sight is a no gunsmith deal and can be removed and the sight reinstalled with no mods to the rifle. The Ncstar 2X7 scope is pretty decent for this setup.

curator
01-13-2012, 06:39 PM
rjathon,

If you want a bullet mould that will drop excellent bullets that fit your rifle/cartridge and shoot accurately with just about any load, then follow the LBT road to cast bullet success. They will cut the mould to match your rifle's throat and heve most of the lube grooves inside the case neck. While you are at it order some if their "blue" lube. Once you use it you won't be happy with anything else. Consider buying Veral's book on "Jacketed performance with Cast bullets"--lots of excellent information that will keep you from learning everything the hard way.

Blammer
01-13-2012, 11:13 PM
My m48a loves the sierra 175's also. I have lots of milsurp ammo so I've not messed with cast in it.

I do have a Rem 700 in 8mm and I have shot a few cast in it. I like this cast boolit in it.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/DSCN8418.jpg
I"m at a loss for what the number is now, it's a loverin style.
that thar is an inch and a half group for the average it does at 100 yds.