PDA

View Full Version : Question On Sizers & Dies

Jason30-30
01-11-2012, 10:39 PM
I havent been into casting/reloading enough to wear anything out but wanted to know if after a while sizing dies & straight wall pistol carbide inserts will wear out ( eventually they have to give way ) and have to be replaced.

Jason

Iron Mike Golf
01-11-2012, 11:19 PM
The biggest risk there is sizing cases that aren't clean and scratching the carbide. Or dropping one on concrete and shattering the carbide. You're much more likely to replace expanders before sizing dies due to wearing them out.

canyon-ghost
01-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Or... a stuck cartridge case! Wearing them out isn't as quick a death as abusing them, and a lot of guys use brute strength when the patience wears thin.

Jason30-30
01-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Thanks guys what about lee sizing dies and lyman lube & size dies? Do they open up a lityle after a while?

mpmarty
01-11-2012, 11:45 PM
I've been sizing and reloading for more than fifty years and I've still got size dies and G,H & I dies from the 1960s that are still perfect. There is no way a brass cartridge case can "wear" a carbide sizer die neither is it likely to "scratch" a carbide sizer. Dirt or grit on a case will scratch the case and imbed it the brass before it marks a true carbide sizer ring.

runfiverun
01-12-2012, 12:11 AM
i use the lee carbide sizer dies in my dillons, followed by various die brands for seating and crimping.
i couldn't guess at how many 9mm,38/357,44's,and 45's, they have sized. but it would be well over 20k and closer to 50k for some of them.
clean brass a little bit of lube helps them along.
i have some wells,and hollywood size dies that are older than i am and they are going along just fine.

454PB
01-12-2012, 12:31 AM
I make my own boolit sizing dies from mild steel. None of them has ever shown any wear. Since commercial sizing dies are hardened, I doubt you could ever wear one out.

Carbide case sizing dies are more likely to be ruined by breakage than wear.

C.F.Plinker
01-12-2012, 01:41 AM
When I got started reloading I was introduced to the range master for a local police department. At that time they reloaded all of their practice and qualification ammunition. He kept two Stars busy and said that they reloaded over 500,000 rounds a year and wore out a set of carbide dies every other year. So while I believe you can wear out a set of carbide dies I know I will never do it in my lifetime.

sqlbullet
01-12-2012, 12:48 PM
Be interesting to know what "wore out" on those dies. Could have been that after a year they were in generally bad repair and it was cheaper to replace them as a set than to order parts. I would be surprised if carbide inserts were worn even after half a million rounds.

Recluse
01-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Or... a stuck cartridge case! Wearing them out isn't as quick a death as abusing them, and a lot of guys use brute strength when the patience wears thin.

No doubt. I know people who can tear up an anvil. . .

Thanks guys what about lee sizing dies and lyman lube & size dies? Do they open up a lityle after a while?

Never had it happen and don't expect it to. Lead is far, far, far softer than the surrounding steel in the sizing dies.

:coffee:

big dale
01-12-2012, 01:15 PM
I havent been into reloading long enough to wear out sizers or dies either cause I have only been using them for the last 45 years.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale