PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 - I need part G!!!

Linepipe
01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I have a Lyman 45 that I got at an estate auction that is missing part G as shown in the sticky. What is this part? where do I get one? It is the part that pushes the bullet down into the sizing die. It is held in place with a screw that is evidently hand tightened. Btw, what is it called?

To substitute the part I have been using a .45 mandrel from a trimmer. Yup, I went where I shouldnt have...

Thanks for the help.

Mk42gunner
01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Part G is what is commonly known as the top punch. They can be purchased from any of the reloading supply houses like Midsouth Shooters Supply, Midway USA, etc.

They are supposed to match the nose profile of your boolit, and for a pointed or round nosed boolit, it is fairly important that they do to prevent distorting the nose. For a flat nosed boolit. I use a 1/4" bolt that has been cut down with the head rounded by file in a drill for a top punch.

You can also buy a custom one from forum member the perfessor.

Robert

01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
+1 on theperfesser's top punches -- low cost, fast shipping, and quality craftsmanship.

Bent Ramrod
01-11-2012, 11:02 PM
The last three numbers on your Ideal/Lyman mould are the numbers for the top punch for that particular boolit.

01-12-2012, 12:22 AM
The last three numbers on your Ideal/Lyman mould are the numbers for the top punch for that particular boolit.

Not always. For instance, a Lyman 266469 boolit takes a 463 top punch.

StratsMan
01-12-2012, 12:37 AM
I think the key info you're looking for, LP, is that "Part G" wasn't included with the #45... (That's an old model, so I'm not sure about everything that was included with them... I think my #45 is older than me...)

So you buy the appropriate top punch to match the boolit you're sizing....

Hang Fire
01-12-2012, 02:04 AM
I keep waiting for my #45 to give up the ghost, but after many, many, many boolits passing through it, still operating great after almost 50 years.

Pressman
01-12-2012, 10:07 AM
The #45 is older than most of us, me included (though not by much). It was introduced in Lyman's revamped post war product line in 1947.

Top punches were not included as they are specific to the cast bullet nose contour and diameter. Lyman was making nearly 100 different bullet molds then with most requiring a different nose punch. You ordered your mold then selected the correct sizing die and nose punch for that bullet.
Ken

94Doug
01-12-2012, 11:24 AM
You can also use RCBS punches for their boolits when you size them. Some will even be the same number.

Doug