PDA

View Full Version : Possible price of an 1873 Trapdoor Rifle

Boz330
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I know it is hard to give a price for an unseen rifle. I don't have any idea of what Trapdoors are bringing though and would appreciate a range from bad to good. There is a widow woman selling 3 guns and the trapdoor is the only thing worth anything and I don't want to take her but don't want to offer to much either. If it isn't a shooter then I'm not interested anyway. Thanks!

Bob

NickSS
03-05-2007, 01:07 PM
I have seen some for sale recently and they range from a cut down rifle for $350 to a near mint rifle at $1200 so there is a lot of latitude inbetween. A lot has to do with condition, and how correct it is. A lot of 1873s were in service for 20 to 30 years or more and were rebuilt a couple of times and upgraded as well with improved parts. All this affects price. Generally speaking a nice conditioned government rebuilt rifle with cartouches on the stock are in the $700 to 900 range at this time.

13Echo
03-05-2007, 10:32 PM
Try this site. It's the rifles for sale part of Al Frasca's Trapdoor site. Each rifle is documented with excellent photos and has a good description and the prices are fair. Find one that matches the rifle you are interested in to get an idea of what it's worth.
http://www.trapdoorcollector.com/springfieldarms.html

Jerry Liles

Boz330
03-06-2007, 11:10 AM
I'll try the sites and see what I can come up with. I do have some more info though.
It is a 73 breech block, stock cartouch indicates it was assembled in 78 with the later modifications, Buffington sight, 2 piece trigger guard and grooved trigger. The SN is 42k with a 9 stamped behind it in a different script. It also has the 10 inch comb stock and the barrel has proof marks. Barrel is excellent and bluing is in good shape so should be a shooter.
A buddy actually looked at this so I'm trying to repeat from memory. I may have to fight him for it but blackmail might work better. His wife thought it was my gun when he brought it in. The price was $400 and it included a Winchester 69A and an old English ML shotgun. Depending on the value of this stuff I might have to take her a little more money. He thought that the Trapdoor was a parts gun when he first looked at it but after cleaning and checking some books decided it wasn't.
There was a box of ammo with 2 fired with the gun and had a price of $4.70 on it. These guns have been in a closet for 30 years maybe more from that price.

Thanks again guys
Bob