PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

Trey45
01-11-2012, 05:49 PM
I had a 15 dollar gift certificate on fleabay, used it to buy some ethiopian harrar whole bean coffee. WOW! Coarse ground and perced a percolator makes for some really good coffee. My first experience with it. I'm actually just getting into the whole bean coffee and grinding stuff due to Christmas presents so this is all still new to me. It's like I've never had a good cup of coffee before though.

x101airborne
01-11-2012, 06:02 PM
I know what you mean....

Round my place, we used to drink that Forgers medium roast water. Then we tried the Dark Roast. Then my dad became a member of the Victoria Coffee Roasters Club, or association, or whatever it is. THAT is when coffee got good. I would be interested to know what you got. I love a good cup of coffee. Might even suppliment my 12 year old single malt!

Trey45
01-11-2012, 06:07 PM
The seller calls his coffee AcupOfJo's , I bought the Ethiopian Harrar Whole Bean coffee, he only roasts when he gets an order, it's roasted and then shipped. The sellers name is Rissa7 on ebay. I've heard that sweetmarias.com is also good for whole beans, you can even get green beans and roast them yourself. I may try that.

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 06:09 PM
The seller calls his coffee AcupOfJo's , I bought the Ethiopian Harrar Whole Bean coffee, he only roasts when he gets an order, it's roasted and then shipped. The sellers name is Rissa7 on ebay. I've heard that sweetmarias.com is also good for whole beans, you can even get green beans and roast them yourself. I may try that.

lol Is that Ethiopian coffee that stuff that the cat eats then the Poop is collected for the beans? :dung_hits_fan: :bigsmyl2:

x101airborne
01-11-2012, 06:11 PM
lol Is that Ethiopian coffee that stuff that the cat eats then the Poop is collected for the beans? :dung_hits_fan: :bigsmyl2:

No.... That's the antelope pellets.

Trey45
01-11-2012, 06:12 PM
If that's how you like your coffee you're welcome to it.

x101airborne
01-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Running a Dairy farm for 10 years, I have swallowed worse.

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
No thank you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Trey45
01-11-2012, 06:18 PM
My dad was a pilot on a dairy farm when he was working his way through college, he was hired to clean out the stalls and he would pile it here, and pile it there.

Hey, it's his joke, not mine, blame him.

x101airborne
01-11-2012, 06:22 PM
AAAHHHHH.... "Pile-it"..... HAHAHA. Funny, the scraping of the lanes is when I always got a mouth full. That is why now when I see someone with their mouth open for no reason, I just cringe. Ever see that? When someone is just sitting around with their mouth open? Just looking for a piece of poop to come flying in!

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 06:24 PM
never done the dairy thing but have shoveled a bunch of it out of our stock trailers. shoveling poop is not as much fun as patty fights ... but I am sorry for:hijack: I just couldnt resist.

GRUMPA
01-11-2012, 06:30 PM
This reminded me of coffee in general. Right now we can get a can of coffee (2LBS 1oz) on sale for $8. Years back I spent hours searching for bulk coffee beans because that's how we do things around here. Found a few places and most if not all were the green coffee beans that you'd have to roast yourself at somewhere about double of what we get it at the market.

Now since you have to do most of the work yourself, why does it cost a lot more? Your taking most of the labor out of the equation so why does it cost more for the raw product, and I'm at a loss as far as an acceptable explanation.

I honestly don't think it would be a regional thing but more like continental. But still it makes no sense to me.

Moonman
01-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Grind your own is GREAT COFFEE.

starmac
01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
This reminded me of coffee in general. Right now we can get a can of coffee (2LBS 1oz) on sale for $8. Years back I spent hours searching for bulk coffee beans because that's how we do things around here. Found a few places and most if not all were the green coffee beans that you'd have to roast yourself at somewhere about double of what we get it at the market.

Now since you have to do most of the work yourself, why does it cost a lot more? Your taking most of the labor out of the equation so why does it cost more for the raw product, and I'm at a loss as far as an acceptable explanation.

I honestly don't think it would be a regional thing but more like continental. But still it makes no sense to me.

The same reason that starbucks and all the coffee(capuchino) shacks can stay in business at the prices they charge. Although I heard starbucks came out with a regular 1.dollar cup of coffee after they had to close a lot of locations.

ss40_70
01-11-2012, 07:16 PM
christopher bean sells the jamaicon blue mountian coffe iether whole bean or ground its the only coffee i drink now

Tom-ADC
01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
My favorite coffee is a dark french roast. We once got hooked up with Gevalia Coffee they had some great flavors but they $8.00 a pound now.

winelover
01-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Plus 1 on the Ethiopian Harrar also known as Ethiopian Longberry. You might also want to try Ethiopian Yirgacheffe. I buy mine at:

www.CoffeeAM.com

FWIW...You get a better deal if you buy in 5# increments.

Winelover :coffeecom

xr650
01-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Might even suppliment my 12 year old single malt!

Say it aint so.
Anything that begins with Glen and doesn't end with livet. Thank you!

DLCTEX
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Can't relate. Don't drink it since I got old enough to resist peer pressure and just say it tastes bad. Wife drinks one occasionally that smells of phony vanilla. I have to leave the house as the smell gags me.

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2012, 07:55 PM
make mine folgers black and strong. No flavored or fancy coffee for this guy.

Dframe
01-11-2012, 08:00 PM
I love coffee. I like it STRONG and black. I've had most of the blends available and like them ALL. My favorite is a triple Americano. For the uninitiated thats three shots of espresso and just a little hot water. Strong enough to keep the average person awake for about 3 weeks.

Dale in Louisiana
01-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Coffee is MY thing.

Raised Cajun, coffee was strong. Great-grandmother and grandmother roasted green beans in a skillet on top of the stove and ground them fresh for each pot.

Now I roast my own. Sweet Maria's (http://www.sweetmarias.com/) is my dealer of choice.

And If you think Kopi Luwak is odd, try Brazilian Jacu Bird Coffee (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=2342). I did. Good stuff (http://mostlycajun.com/wordpress/?p=2452).

dale in Louisiana

Trey45
01-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Dale that's great! Thanks for the links, some good reading there.

OBIII
01-11-2012, 08:11 PM
+1 on Sweet Marias. I buy green beans in bulk and roast my own. This way, you can find your own particular recipe, cause the longer you roast, the darker, and stronger it gets. I let mine aerate for 8 hours, so I usually roast at night, grind for the first pot of the morning. Doesn't get any better than that. The pre-roasted beans in the supermarket, you have no way of knowing how long they were sitting on the shelf.

Trey45
01-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Ya'll have just about got me talked into trying the roasting now. Green beans can be frozen I assume?

Houndog
01-11-2012, 08:26 PM
After driving trucks for 30 years I learned to like my coffee STRONG and straight up. What most folks try to pass off as expresso is almost strong enough. There's a coffee company in Knoxville TN. (JFG) and if you can get your hands on some of their commercial restaurant blend it's GOOD! It's what McDonalds used to sell when Ray Croc ran the show.

Love Life
01-11-2012, 08:27 PM

As it should be. Or a pot of 8 o'clock.

wills
01-11-2012, 08:40 PM

"Kopi luwak (Malay pronunciation: [ˈkopi ˈlu.aʔ]), or civet coffee, is one of the world's most expensive and low-production varieties of coffee. It is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract.[1] A civet eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet's intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness,[citation needed] widely noted as the most expensive coffee in the world with prices reaching $160 per pound.[2]"

http://www.amazon.com/Kopi-Luwak-Coffee-Whole-16-Ounce/dp/B0030IGUIK

wills
01-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Folgers Black Silk or Gourmet Supreme seem to be the best.

starmac
01-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Would that be called rerefined coffee, or just plain used coffee.
I will stay with the folgers crowd classic roast to be exact. lol

Gee_Wizz01
01-11-2012, 09:00 PM
We have been drinking the Dunkin Donuts med roast, and I think its one of my favorites. I also like Don Pablo's from Costco.

G

troy_mclure
01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
No thank you

i had it in seattle. it tasted almost like community coffee. lol

my favorite is "big brand" seattles tully's coffee.

troy_mclure
01-11-2012, 09:15 PM
I love coffee. I like it STRONG and black. I've had most of the blends available and like them ALL. My favorite is a triple Americano. For the uninitiated thats three shots of espresso and just a little hot water. Strong enough to keep the average person awake for about 3 weeks.

replace the water with cream and sugar and thats what i have daily. lol

i have my own espresso machine at home.

swamp
01-11-2012, 10:54 PM
French Market brand coffe and chicory is as fancy as I get. Straight, no additives.

Lee
01-11-2012, 10:59 PM
:Fire: HiJack!! Do I misunderstand?? Is there something wrong with GlenLivet??? Oh, say it ain't so, Joe !!![smilie=1:

stubshaft
01-11-2012, 11:10 PM

A mans coffee drinker. I usually make it like this or Turkish style.

Dale in Louisiana
01-11-2012, 11:17 PM
i have my own espresso machine at home.

got one sitting on the counter: Rancilio Silva. Nothing compares with MY own espresso, from beans I roasted. I have to be careful not to get myself onto a caffeine jag, though.

I also have a good drip machine (Technivorm). Normal day, I brew a quart of coffee, half in a big thermal mug, the rest into a vacuum bottle. Keeps me sipping until lunchtime.

dale in Louisiana
coffee nut.

canyon-ghost
01-11-2012, 11:25 PM
make mine folgers black and strong.

Amen. No thanks on the predigested $160 asian stuff, folgers will do anytime.

Frank46
01-11-2012, 11:29 PM
Ah cow pies!!!. There used to be a coffee place in Astoria, Queens N.Y. that sold coffee. White coffee co. Every night they would roast the beans and the smell would carry quite a distance. Just made your mouth water and of course I'd have to brew up a pot. Right near the Steinway piano factory. Frank

kmag
01-11-2012, 11:51 PM
I have been a coffee drinker since I was a kid, my Grandmother gave it to me. I have tried coffee from all over the world that friends would bring me from their trips and have also been abroad. First time we went to Washington State I was overjoyed. I had read that the Seattle area had the highest coffee consumption in the US. We went to San Diego and North following the coast. All the coffee I was getting tasted like cowboy coffee, thought it would get better when we got to Washington. That was a mistake, it got worse. If Seattle coffee was all I could get I would quit drinking coffee. Think I'll stick with Folgers or Maxwell House I can make it strong without the dreadful bitter aftertaste.

snuffy
01-12-2012, 12:30 AM
I've been drinking Gevalia for the last ten years. I settled on the Colombian blend. I've tried some of the others, but always came back to Colombian.

Once a year @ Christmas time, they bring out Royal Vinter blend. It's the smoothest I've ever had.

Their coffee's come packaged in ½ pound vacuum sealed foil bags,(pre-ground), After opening one, I seal it inside a ziplock, and keep in the fridge. That keeps it fresh.

OBIII
01-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Ya'll have just about got me talked into trying the roasting now. Green beans can be frozen I assume?

Trey,
I would not freeze them. Green beans have a long shelf life. The beans start to lose flavor once roasted. Wiljen is pretty knowledgeable on this subject, I am just a noob. Roasted beans should be consumed within a few (?) days. Don't roast a whole pound of beans if you are a 2 cup a day drinker. :p I roast mine, and let them breath for 8-12 hours before I grind any. Also, do not refrigerate or freeze roasted beans or ground beans. Sucks the flavor out quicker. You can roast them on the stove top, in the oven, or my personal choice, I have one of those "Turbo" roasters for food, that works well. Sweet Marias has a lot of useful tips, as well as other sites. Once you get into it, it may cost a little more, but you will view canned coffee and Starbucks as a "back-up".
[smilie=l:

mroliver77
01-12-2012, 01:13 AM
I believe the quality of pre-ground coffee has diminished over the last few decades! I have been buying the WalMart Colombian and mixing 50/50 with fresh ground beans. It sure is better! Now I am wondering about roasting my own.

I never got the habit till in my 20's and have always drank mine black. I would fix coffee in the morn and take my wife cup with milk in it. I started sipping it and acquired a taste for milk in it. Then my sister gave me real cream one day! Now I love real cream in my coffee! Strong brewed with lots of cream!

I went to a pint size cup! Let's not fool around!;)
J

Dirty30
01-12-2012, 01:36 AM
I roast my own and it's great! You can get pretty high quality coffee for cheap that way too. I get everything (including my roaster) from a web site called coffeebeancorral.com. You can do a couple of batches in the time it takes the lee pot to heat up, and you need about the same amount of ventilation.

geargnasher
01-12-2012, 02:10 AM
I like my coffee like I like my women: Hot, Black, and Bitter! :kidding:

The way it's brewed has a LOT to do with how it tastes.

Gear

Moondawg
01-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Try not to drink the nasty tasting stuff. If I do, I cut it half and half with milk or cream and use about three packets of yellow stuff, to mute the taste. Now a good cup of green tea, or chia tea, that is a drink made in heavan.

OneSkinnyMass
01-12-2012, 03:59 AM
aint nothing wrong with the whole bean Colombian coffee costco sells in a red and white bag, just don't grind it at the store. I keep it in glass jar with the lid tight and grind it seconds before brewing. Dang, now I have to make a pot :-)

Three44s
01-12-2012, 04:12 AM
Kirkland brand Columbian from Costco!

Three 44s

dragonrider
01-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Find some Hawiian Kona beans.

cajun shooter
01-12-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't profess to think that Louisiana has the best coffee that I've ever drank but I now will not leave home with out a supply of our Community Coffee.
It has been made in Louisiana for decades and at one time was made in just three blends with the DARK ROAST being the top seller.
I became tired of going to places and asking for a cup of coffee and being served what appeared to be a cup of tea as I could see the spoon on the bottom of the cup.
My grandmother was a true French woman having been born in Marseille, France. She came over at the age of 14.
In Louisiana the coffee was made in a small pot that had a cloth bag in the top and the pot was placed into a pot of water so that it remained hot. The grounds would produce the best tasting black coffee that was made. It was coal black and strong but your taste buds ended up craving it every day.
I was in Sturgis, SD in August of 1990 for the 50th annual Harley Davidson Rally. I was making my pot of morning coffee when a fellow camper from about 25 yards away came running over. He said, Man I saw that Community Coffee bag and I had to come ask if I could have a cup. He advised that he had once worked on the Gulf oil rigs and became hooked on it. He was from Iowa and could not get any. I not only gave him a cup but reached into my gear bag and handed him a pound. He could not believe it and later that day brought me a case of beer. I advised him that they ship all over the world and all he had to do was write or call.
Community has done as other coffee companies and added all the pretty girl blends but the Dark, New Orleans blend/Chicory, and newer Cafe Blends are the Best.
Do yourself a favor and try a cup!!

3006guns
01-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I believe the quality of pre-ground coffee has diminished over the last few decades! I have been buying the WalMart Colombian and mixing 50/50 with fresh ground beans. It sure is better! Now I am wondering about roasting my own.

I never got the habit till in my 20's and have always drank mine black. I would fix coffee in the morn and take my wife cup with milk in it. I started sipping it and acquired a taste for milk in it. Then my sister gave me real cream one day! Now I love real cream in my coffee! Strong brewed with lots of cream!

J

I agree! What passes for Folgers or Maxwell house these days would have been considered dirty water thirty years ago. I recently bought a can of Folger's "high yield" that was on sale and came in a METAL can (getting hard to find). It's lousy....and that's being polite. Horrible "funky" taste. Basically I bought some ad man's line, not coffee.

So, I'm back to grinding my own beans purchased at the local market. Always a Columbian fan but I notice the beans seem to change in quality through the year. Sometimes aromatic and delicious, sometimes bitter and lousy so I end up dispensing a small amount into my hand and smelling them first! It's getting so a guy can't count on consistancy any more.

The comment about not freezing roasted beans applies to refrigeration too. I heard that keeping the beans in the fridge assures freshness, but they seem to absorb some moisture and taste different so I just leave them in the bag on the counter. I've also learned that you shouldn't buy more than a pound at a time. That's about how long it takes for the taste to change noticeably before getting a fresh batch.

Quick story: Some years ago while on a "ghost town" trip in Nevada, we found a can of Folgers in an old mine shack. It had to date from the late forties at least. I pulled the key off the bottom and began peeling back the sealing strip and heard that "whoosh" of vacuum sealing. Smelled good, so I fired up the coffee pot back at camp and we brewed a batch. It was fantastic.....really rich, smooth and hearty. No one suffered any ill effects and it made all of us wish for older times!

x101airborne
01-12-2012, 09:47 AM
The best coffee I have ever had was a pot brewed at 0400 in the coals of a dying campfire in a percolator. Sitting on a log, shivering. Rifle leaning next to me. Sound of a lone yote complaining against the daybreak. Knuckles locked in a deathgrip around the beat up aluminum cup I found on another camping trip. One side of my hand frozen, the other on fire from holding the scalding liquid.

That is the best cup I have ever had. Or maybe ever will.

Jim
01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Airborne, your memory reminds me of a similar 'best cup'. Not quite the same place or time, but there most certainly was a fire involved and it was cold, too.

Flinchrock
01-12-2012, 10:11 AM
As it should be. Or a pot of 8 o'clock.

I'm with you boys on that!

Trey45
01-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Cajun Shooter, Community coffee with chicory is exactly what I had before and I agree wholeheartedly, it's some of the best tasting coffee I've ever had.

Reload3006
01-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Cajun Shooter, Community coffee with chicory is exactly what I had before and I agree wholeheartedly, it's some of the best tasting coffee I've ever had.

havent had it in years but I sure do miss it.

Trey45
01-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes sir, it's been years for me as well. I see that they sell whole bean Community dark roast... may have to buy some.

fishnbob
01-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm kinda like Gear, I too like my coffee like I like my women, only I like mine white, hot & sweet!

Trey45
01-12-2012, 10:28 AM
If I liked my coffee like I like my women I'd be drinking cheap, easy coffee that you throw out after your second cup.

Tom-ADC
01-12-2012, 10:35 AM
My years in the Navy showed me I could always find a cup of coffee somewhere but you couldn't aways find stuff to put in it.
So I like my hot and black and if it cool outside and I'm camping maybe a drop or two of brandy.

Reload3006
01-12-2012, 10:37 AM
My years in the Navy showed me I could always find a cup of coffee somewhere but you couldn't aways find stuff to put in it.
So I like my hot and black and if it cool outside and I'm camping maybe a drop or two of brandy.

being a Sailor too. I served on the Dixie the oldest ship in the navy at the time. our evaps constantly went out so no fresh water ... still watches so a little pinch between your cheek and gum will do ya LOL Yep I love it hot black and strong... Chicory is good in it too.

x101airborne
01-12-2012, 10:47 AM
If I liked my coffee like I like my women I'd be drinking cheap, easy coffee that you throw out after your second cup.

You mean you would keep it long enough to get a second cup?

If my coffee turned out like the women in my life, it would be cold, bitter, unsatisfying and full of grinds.
Please dont tell my wife...... She'll take away my allowance and couch privleges.

alamogunr
01-12-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm a Community Coffee drinker too. Right now I'm drinking the Cafe blend. I may have to try the one with chicory.

We have a vacuum packed bag that our son brought back from Vienna. Haven't tried it yet so I really don't know what to expect. Sort of hope I don't like it since there is no chance of getting any more.

Like others, the only way to drink coffee is straight black. No milk/cream for me.

xr650
01-12-2012, 11:17 AM
:Fire: HiJack!! Do I misunderstand?? Is there something wrong with GlenLivet??? Oh, say it ain't so, Joe !!![smilie=1:
:-)
It just way down on my list of favorites.
Seems restaraunts in my neck of the woods stock it, with little, or no other choice.
I think they have a real good salesman.

R.M.
01-12-2012, 11:18 AM
My brother gave me a Tassimo machine for Christmas. I'm having a time trying to find a brew that I like.
I never would have bought one myself, neat machine though.
My stand-by brew is Mill Stone Colombian, whole bean, brewed using a Malita one cup cone.

Boolseye
01-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Now THIs is a thread I didn't expect to find here–started by a moderator no less. Hello, fellow coffee freaks.
I'm gearing up to make a sweetmarias buy eventually and roll my own (why not, I do everything else from scratch and I love coffee). A student of mine gave me a serious grinder, which opened up a whole new world. Let me tell you–get ye a real grinder and you will never again use that little blade hopper that we've all relied on. This is an Isomac Gran Macanino–no, they ain't cheap, but they make a huge difference, grinding with a heavy duty, adjustable burr vs. a high rpm blade as all the little grinders have. Yeah, I know, I couldn't have afforded it either, but man...BTW, my espresso machine cost $1.50 at a local church basement and works fine. I was also told that those swirly stovetop popcorn makers are a good bet for roasting your own small batches of beans.

Boolseye
01-12-2012, 12:05 PM
The best coffee I have ever had was a pot brewed at 0400 in the coals of a dying campfire in a percolator. Sitting on a log, shivering. Rifle leaning next to me. Sound of a lone yote complaining against the daybreak. Knuckles locked in a deathgrip around the beat up aluminum cup I found on another camping trip. One side of my hand frozen, the other on fire from holding the scalding liquid.

I know what you mean. Mine was had early in the morning deep in Merck forest in western VT, mist still low over the field we'd camped on and a low fire burning to go with the low early voices...ya don't forget moments like that.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Boolseye hit it on the head.
Get a ya a full blown burr grinder and coffee takes on a whole new meaning. That, and brewing at the right temp.

Wayne Smith
01-12-2012, 01:13 PM
A burr grinder doesn't have to be expensive. You can buy them at WalMart, I did. I love Tanzanian Peaberry as a single bean coffee, often blend it with an Indonesian berry. Kona is so strong that it is always a small percentage of a blend and dominates that blend. If you like it, great. I like a more subtle taste.

John 242
01-12-2012, 04:05 PM

That is the best cup I have ever had. Or maybe ever will.

Reminds me of one of many NTC rotations we did in the early 90s...
In those days, we lived in our Bradleys like some people live in an RV. After a long, hard day of training out 'in the box', night was falling. We had pulled our tracks into a night defensive position, I can remember my buddy pulling out a large blue enamel coffee pot that he kept in the sponson box. He brewed up a pot of cheap coffee over a single burner Coleman stove and we sat there on the Bradley’s ramp sipping away and jaw jacking late into the night.
It gets pretty cold in Mojave desert at night and that hot coffee really hit the spot.
That kind of comradely, at least in my experience, is hard to come by nowadays

wills
01-12-2012, 07:19 PM
I love coffee. I like it STRONG and black.

If the cup tumps over, and the coffee runs out, it is too weak.

Boolseye
01-12-2012, 07:37 PM
nice lookin' 91/30 there, John 242.

Pigslayer
01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
Ethiopian Harrar is great coffee! So is Ethiopian Yergacheff. I am a coffee nut & always grind my own.

x101airborne
01-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Most of my training missions were in Louisianna. And there was no chow that did not come out of the "green cans". Including the coffee. It actually wasn't coffee. It was coon pee that trickled through all that clay and ended up in a hot spring mixed with some pig turds. And I liked it cause it was all I had. Well, I tolerated it. But my MOS kept me in the rear when I wasn't pulling a guard shift. Ahhh.... the memories.

cbrick
01-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Dframe, your a light weight. An Americana is six shots or it's just hot water.

Ok, I admit it; if I ever got any blood in my caffeine system it would probably kill me. I hate it if I get a cut because caffeine leaks out wasting it. Caffeine is definitely my drug of choice.

Rick

Dframe
01-12-2012, 08:07 PM
"Kopi luwak (Malay pronunciation: [ˈkopi ˈlu.aʔ]), or civet coffee, is one of the world's most expensive and low-production varieties of coffee. It is made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract.[1] A civet eats the berries for their fleshy pulp. In its stomach, proteolytic enzymes seep into the beans, making shorter peptides and more free amino acids. Passing through a civet's intestines the beans are then defecated, keeping their shape. After gathering, thorough washing, sun drying, light roasting and brewing, these beans yield an aromatic coffee with much less bitterness,[citation needed] widely noted as the most expensive coffee in the world with prices reaching $160 per pound.[2]"

http://www.amazon.com/Kopi-Luwak-Coffee-Whole-16-Ounce/dp/B0030IGUIK

I remember fondly the Dave Barry column about that. Had me laughing till I cried. He called it "Poop-a-cino" I've never had Kopi Lewak but have tried a LOT of others. Unless it's some stupid flavored "candy coffee" I generally like it.
Strong Black and NO added flavors.

Trey45
01-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Why is it every time I revisit this thread I feel the need to make a cup of the stuff.

I have some 8 oclock beans, maybe a small cup won't hurt.

mroliver77
01-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Some of my best coffee memories are stopping at my Ma's place and having coffee with her. After I was grown we got along pretty good and had intimate conversations about life and such over coffee.

My ex wife and I traveled on our MC and packed everything we needed. Small pup tent, 2 sleeping bags zipped into one, a 2 burner foldup sterno stove, a small percolator, boyscout mess kits and clothes. Well I made a cooler rack on the trailer hitch so we carried food and drinks also. Waking up in the Smoky Mountains back in a primitive camp site and cooking over a fire making coffee on the sterno stove watching the mist burn off over the mountains.................

Rooster
01-12-2012, 11:11 PM
The best coffee was with the folks in the morning and once upon a time, at 0'darkthirty, at Camp Perry by the CRO's tower in a freezing August gale coming off of Lake Erie, I thought the Army tar was life saving. :coffee:

My alter ego is a food scientist and I've done a little research into several aspects of this amazing food item. I've been recently working on a $10K Turkish made roaster that is interface through my laptop, it has me getting in touch with my inner Geek. I'm finding I like a medium dark roast where the beans are just begining to sweat out the oils. It sort of reminds me of casting, temperature and blends, that 'just so' state that gives the perfect results and satisfaction.

There is lots of controversy and opinions when it comes to coffee but that keeps me in a paycheck. Ha!

troy_mclure
01-12-2012, 11:42 PM

J

actually just watched a show on this a few months ago. the quality of coffee decreased from the late 50's to the late 90's, almost driving maxwell house out of business.

from the late 90's on the quality of coffee has come up greatly. mostly with the rise of starbux. heck just look at micky D's. went from being voted some of the worst, to beating out starbux in some areas.

troy_mclure
01-12-2012, 11:46 PM
havent had it in years but I sure do miss it.

want me to ship you some?

i hate it myself, that and folgers is all you get offshore.

mroliver77
01-13-2012, 03:05 AM
The stuff at McD's is not coffee! It is sweepings from the WalMart parking lot! I have tried Starbucks a couple times thinking I might have a coffee experience. The Kohna Blend at the truck stop is much better and way cheaper.

Looking at the prices of beans online, $15. or more a pound delivered is out of my price range! I guess I am stuck with adding a few preroasted beans to the WalMart columbian.
Jay

x101airborne
01-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Nothing wrong with adding a few beans to the Walmart stuff. If you drank single malt every nite, it wouldn't be special.

Reload3006
01-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks Troy. We have spot light here? its not too bad but its the chicory I cant find. I learned to really like chicory coffee in the Navy my chief was from Louisiana and that's the way we had coffee. once you learn to like it its the way you want it. I have to admit it took some getting used to.

troy_mclure
01-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Pm me your info and I'll see what is available.

LIMPINGJ
01-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Reload3006 go to the Community Coffee website, you can get your Chicory from them.

John 242
01-20-2012, 12:30 AM
nice lookin' 91/30 there, John 242.

Thanks, that's nice of ya.

It's a 1942 Izhevsk.
Slugs out to about .312 and does ok with the 314299 and a gas check.
Picked it up at the PX for just over a c-note.
I love shooting cast with it, It's really a lot of fun.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-20-2012, 01:17 AM
from the late 90's on the quality of coffee has come up greatly. mostly with the rise of starbux. heck just look at micky D's. went from being voted some of the worst, to beating out starbux in some areas.

The stuff at McD's is not coffee! It is sweepings from the WalMart parking lot! I have tried Starbucks a couple times thinking I might have a coffee experience. The Kohna Blend at the truck stop is much better and way cheaper.
This is kinda of funny, everyone has there own tastes, I guess.
If you order the "fru fru" coffee at McD's...yes from the machine with
the Beans in the funnel shaped hopper on top...LOOK for dust,
cause they ain't usin' those beans. All their cappuccinos and lates' are
made with Coffee extract that's piped in from a container in the back room
YES, I said Coffee extract ! It made by a Machine
that's located in another State, no doubt.

I built the control panel for (well, I built one panel...there is obviously
many machines) a company called S&D Coffee. They supply most or
all the coffee extract for McD.

The biggest secret between good coffee and bitter (not strong, but acidic)
coffee is the temperature. 191 is the magic number.
If the Grind gets above 191º during
gringing or brewing, the acidic bitters are extracted out of the husk.
Personally, when I make expresso or turkish style,
I can't really tell if the beans are roasted within the last 24 hours or 2 weeks.
But I can surely tell if the beans/grind ever got about 191º.
Yes if you grind alot of coffee at one time and the grinder gets hot,
you'll taste it in the brew.

I buy about 2 weeks of coffee at a local
grocery store that offers bulk roasted beans ($6.99/lb) that are supposed to be roasted
daily from a nearby vendor. I buy the unflavored variety that has the fullest
hopper, figuring they just filled it, so it might be the freshest.
I grind it at the store in their Bunn industrial grinder set to "Expresso fine",
after I make sure it's empty and no grounds stuck in the chute
and I also make sure it's cool, as opposed to warm,
like someone just ground a couple lbs of coffee
for there church or something. Then when I get home, I transfer the grounds
from the bag into a airtight glass jar leaving little or no air space and put
it in the freezer. I can't tell the difference from the first batch on day one,
from the last batch 2 weeks later.
Jon

1911sw45
01-20-2012, 04:53 PM
If you have bitter coffee try a dash of salt and it will take away the bitterness.

Adam

bruce drake
01-20-2012, 05:18 PM
If you have bitter coffee try a dash of salt and it will take away the bitterness.

Adam

A fine Naval/Marine Tradition to offset the generic coffee we would get out of the galley/mess pot.

Bruce

Reload3006
01-20-2012, 05:22 PM
A fine Naval/Marine Tradition to offset the generic coffee we would get out of the galley/mess pot.

Bruce

what we didnt salt down to drink made great floor stripper LOL

HodakaGA
01-20-2012, 05:42 PM
i had it in seattle. it tasted almost like community coffee. lol

my favorite is "big brand" seattles tully's coffee.

Is that a swipe at Community Coffee? I love their stuff! To me it's the best fair priced coffee around.

onesonek
01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
I started roasting my own alil over a yr ago. I keep at least 4-6 origins on hand for a change, roasting only enough for 3-4 days worth. Hard to beat fresh roast /grind!
I get most of my green beans from Burman Coffee,,,
http://www.burmancoffee.com/coffeelist/

frankenfab
02-12-2012, 06:41 PM

I had to get some of this and try it. I liked it so much that I have made coffee at night the last three nights. I learned something as well, because I also researched chicory.

I love Endive in a salad, but it seems the kind chicory comes from is a totaly different animal.

palmettosunshine
02-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Well thanks a lot guys. After stumbling across this thread I put down the Jim Beam and Budweiser and ground a fresh pot of 8 O'clock Colombian whole bean. Now that's smooth.

brassrat
02-15-2012, 08:35 PM
I don't drink the stuff, but do brew up 30 cups at a time for my coffee extract. I even sometimes make cubes for an icy mix that beats the DD stuff, imho. Lots of light cream and whole milk. As has been said, temperature is important.

zspook43
02-18-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm with Cajun I remember the little coffee pot with the cloth bag the you pored the boiling water through. I drink Community and have been on and off for the last 60 yrs. I get up around 5AM and make a pot and then again about 2PM make another. I worked as a bus dispatcher for years and drink coffee all night long. Went home and went stright to sleep never seem to keep me awake.

winelover
02-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Does anyone remember the stainless steel coffee pots that were like a double boiler with a glass stem? One would add water to the lower portion and ground coffee to the upper. The glass stem kept them separate. As the water boiled, the stem would wobble and the hot water would become trapped in the top. After 5 minutes or so, shut off the stove burner. As it cooled, coffee would migrate back to bottom pot and grounds would stay in the top. Worked great.

Winelover

alamogunr
02-18-2012, 08:48 PM
Haven't seen one in over 50 years and then only in restaurants. My parents had a drip coffee maker that was, looking back, a cheap one that consisted of a bottom, a basket for grounds and a top that you poured boiling water into. The water dripped thru the grounds into the bottom that was placed on the stove at a low heat.

I just bought my wife a Keurig coffee maker. Single cup brewer. She occasionally wants just one cup in the afternoon. I'm trying to figure out ways to cut down on the expense of those little "K cups"

Dale in Louisiana
02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Does anyone remember the stainless steel coffee pots that were like a double boiler with a glass stem? One would add water to the lower portion and ground coffee to the upper. The glass stem kept them separate. As the water boiled, the stem would wobble and the hot water would become trapped in the top. After 5 minutes or so, shut off the stove burner. As it cooled, coffee would migrate back to bottom pot and grounds would stay in the top. Worked great.

Winelover

don't know about the stainless steel version, but what you're describing is a vacuum pot. I have a glass one. Got it from Sweet Maria's. (http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/vacuum-brewers.html?source=grid)

It's a visually impressive method of brewing a good cup of coffee.

dale in Louisiana

leftiye
02-18-2012, 10:41 PM
40 cup percolator (no lie) , I've got a big cookie jar full of beans. I pour it into gallon pitchers and keep it in the fridge. Heat a (3 cup) cup at a time in the microwave.

thx997303
02-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Leftiye aint lying.

Decent coffee too.

Bullet Caster
02-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Just got to put in my dos centavos. I hate chicory! Period. I love the designer coffees I get from Wally World especially Hazelnut. I also like Birley's Creame. I've only got a 4 cup maker that makes 2 cups (my size) and I usually drink just 2 cups per day. First thing I do when I wake up is brew my coffee. BC

troy_mclure
02-19-2012, 03:35 AM

Winelover

been looking for a small version for years. lol

Marvin S
02-19-2012, 04:38 AM
The keurig works great for me with dougnut shop coffee.

L Ross
02-19-2012, 09:48 AM
8 O'Clock whole bean kept in the freezer, ground in the old Arcade grinder bolted to the side of the cupboard. 50 turns of the handle to the Mr. Coffee pot. However, I regularly micro wave day old coffee. Thaw and micro wave coffee left in a cup frozen in my truck after an ice fishing trip and other such sins.
Best coffee memories always involve tent camps, either hunting, rendezvous, or combination of the two and cooking coffee over a camp fire. Of course we were such heathens as to always bring the pot to a rolling boil and usually not just once! Acids huh? Who knew?
Best friend for the trip is the guy who gets up the earliest and makes a pot o the camp.

Duke