PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion--Lee Classic Cast or Hornady Lock N Load?

Recluse
01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm going to semi-retire my little Lee Challenger single-stage press. I bought it back in the mid/late 80's and have absolutely zero complaints. It's loaded thousands and thousands of rifle and large(r) handgun caliber rounds as well as served for load development and has not even hiccupped on me once.

But, I've just got a case of the "I wants" and am going to move the Challenger press into depriming, priming and (push-through) sizing boolits duty.

I've had an RCBS Rock Chucker. In fact, I actually kept the Challenger and gave the RCBS to a returning Afghan vet four or five years ago, along with some other stuff to help him get started in reloading. I bought the RCBS when I was in the service, so it just seemed fitting to pass along its proud tradition. :)

Pretty much settled between the Hornady Lock N Load single stage and the Lee Classic Cast single stage. Will tell you right now that the Lee is edging out the Hornady with the bigger ram and the primer catching tube.

Hornady's quality is undeniable, as is their customer service. Both presses are stout as can be and both presses will long outlast me in this lifetime. The Lee has the advantage of being around $40 less in cost, plus a slightly smaller "footprint" on the reloading bench. Both operate very smooth and the linkage is very solid with no wobble.

In looking at the Lyman crusher and the new RCBS Rock Chuckers, I was surprised, or dismayed, how loose the linkage was! The ram is tight, but the linkage has a LOT of slop and play in it. My old Rock Chucker didn't have that slop in it.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Lee Classic Cast single stage, but honestly, a coin toss could net me either press and I'd be just as happy.

Interested to hear your opinions and or experience with either (or both) of these presses.

Gracias.

:coffee:

zuke
01-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Classic cast because of the primer catching.
Also the ability to use the priming set up to prime on da press and the ability to use the large series of dies if you happen to get a Martini

jimkim
01-11-2012, 01:44 PM
I'd go with the Classic Cast. I like the primer disposal, the larger ram, the fully adjustable ambidextrous handle, the 4" (vs 3 3/4") ram stroke, the fully supported linkage bolts(I learned about that reading the swaging section) and the iron(steel) frame.

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 01:51 PM
I guess if your a Lee man get the Lee. IMO Hornady is much better but then you know what they say about Opinions.

mold maker
01-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Classic Cast, a case of primers, and change left over. Where is the hard decision????

Recluse
01-11-2012, 02:08 PM
I guess if your a Lee man get the Lee. IMO Hornady is much better but then you know what they say about Opinions.

Actually, I'm not a Lee man. I've got plenty of it, but I also have a blue press at the hangar and an awful lot of green stuff, along with different red stuff (Forester and Hornady and MEC).

I've been looking at both presses and am curious as to why you think the Hornady is "much" better. Both are made of cast iron or steel, both are stout, both have superb linkages, the Hornady has a smaller ram and a bigger footprint from what I can see.

Casting_40S&W
01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
The Hornady is made of pot metal alloy, not cast Iron/Steel of the Lee Classic Cast. Big difference IMO

milprileb
01-11-2012, 02:39 PM
Whats is the mission statement? Load rifle and pistol: hands down Hornady.
Load pistol and 200 rds per hour with little chance of a double charge.. Lee classic turret.
Higher pistol ammo production, more things happening on one stroke of the handle to control, then the Hornady is more complex.
Cost of caliber change on press is dirt cheap with Lee and not so much for Hornady and outrageous on a Dillon.

Both can probably meet your needs but not be perfect for all missions. However, if cost is factor then Lee has it all over Hornady in this arena.

The LNL is right between a Dillon 550 and 650 in price but more like 650 for volume.

In many ways, my decision to go Dillon 650 over a Hornady LNL was a bit flawed. I already
had a Dillon 550 and Lee turret which along with RCBS Rock Chucker covered my missions
in depth.

Recluse
01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
The Hornady is made of pot metal alloy, not cast Iron/Steel of the Lee Classic Cast. Big difference IMO

Yep. I'm impressed with the strength of the Classic Cast Turret, and from looking and handling a Classic Cast single stage, same materials. That thing is incredibly stout.

Wasn't sure what the Hornady was made of, but I'm also confident I could buy it and never look back, never regret.

Whats is the mission statement? Load rifle and pistol: hands down Hornady.
Load pistol and 200 rds per hour with little chance of a double charge.. Lee classic turret.

:)

I already have a Classic Cast Turret--I'm looking to get another single-stage press.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Lee Classic Cast single stage. It's what pushed an RCBS Rock Chucker off my bench. It's a better press than the Hornady LnL single stage and can be converted to take Hornady LnL bushings very easily.

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM
I said in my opinion and my opinion is still Hornady is much better for lots of reasons. one Hornady has a life time warranty Lee has 2 years. I think Hornady operates more smoothly. I also dont like lees powder system I think hornady has a much better system. .... Personally Dillon has both beat and is what I use and I Chewed hard on the Hornady Dillon thing before I drank the Blue Kookaid too.

jimkim
01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Casting_40S&W
The Hornady frame is cast from aluminum, not pot metal.

Recluse, I'm pretty sure you are aware of the fact that the LCC uses the same ram and linkages as the LCT. You know how the press will feel even before you get it. If you lived close by I'd let you try mine out for a few weeks to help you decide.

Saint
01-11-2012, 07:39 PM
I have the Hornady Lock N Load, I don't have experience with other presses but I will share my experience with this one. First off regarding the quick change bushings. I could see them being nice if someone were willing to buy one for every single die but that could get expensive for someone like me that loads 5 different calibers. In truth I don't like how the bushings make the die slightly loose in the press, when pressure is put on the die it will actually move about .5mm and although it probably does not matter since it moves the same amount every time it still bothers me. Another issue I have with it is that when I pull the handle all the way down just as the ram reaches the top of the stroke it actually drops a little at the end of the stroke, it is only about 1mm of movement but it actually makes it rather difficult to set because I cant just drop the handle all the way down and set the die. This can be important for carbide dies where too much contact between the ram and the die can cause the carbide to shatter. This press does have a primer catcher but it requires that the priming arm be inserted to function since the priming arm creates a ramp for the spent primer to slide down into the catcher. I once misplaced the priming arm for several months and it got quite messy as the spent primer would then just fall on the floor. After typing this I am starting to realize that this press kind of pisses me off. Hope this helps, let me know if you would like more info.

Sonnypie
01-11-2012, 10:05 PM
before I drank the Blue Kookaid too.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Every once in a while a pearl shows up in the Oyster Stew....
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

adkpete
01-11-2012, 10:27 PM
I've got the Lee Classic Cast and the primer catching system is not what it's supposed to be. It seems like 30% of the primers fall out of the slot in the ram that the primer arm should fit in.

Bullet Caster
01-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Well Recluse,
You've had a Lee in the past and it performed flawlessly for you for over a number of years, why change to LNL now. Of course I know nothing about Hornady, but I would suggest you stick with whatever worked for you in the past and what will work for you in the future. Also I think the larger ram would serve you better if you're reforming brass. Everyone that I've read about having the Lee Classic Cast is perfectly happy with it. Since you're retiring the Lee Challenger for smaller duty, do you or are you going to use the quick change bushings. It is under my impression that Lee offers the Classic Cast in the Lee Classic Cast and the Lee Classic Cast Challenger models. You can correct me if I'm wrong. I really like the ability to make die changes without having to reset the dies everytime I change calibres. I still need at least 3 bushings but am presently taking the one I attached to the sizing die and using it for general duty. Those Lee lock rings with the rubber grommet suck as they don't hold anything while letting the die slip. I do like the other manufacturer's lock rings as they stay where ya put 'em without changing die settings. Just a few thoughts. I've loaded up a few .30-06 for testing now. Can't wait to shoot em. Startin' off at 32 grains of IMR 4895 with those 200 skinnies. I'll let ya know how they performed when I can get out to shoot. Thanks, Recluse. BC

af2fb751
01-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Lee Classic Cast, because I have it. And I like it. No opinion about Hornady, because I don't have it. I might like the LNL, but I will never find out as long as I can use the LCC.

keyhole
01-11-2012, 11:28 PM
I've got the Lee Classic Cast and the primer catching system is not what it's supposed to be. It seems like 30% of the primers fall out of the slot in the ram that the primer arm should fit in.
---------

I have had similar experience with some spent primers popping out onto the floor. It's not a deal killer but the system is not 100% reliable, IMO.
That is about the only thing about the Lee Classic Cast I don't like. Being left-handed I like the ambidextrous handle, which is also adjustable for effective length. For sizing large numbers of cases requiring less leverage, the shorter handle throw makes it somewhat less tiring.

Keyhole

Vinne
01-11-2012, 11:55 PM
I started with a used Rock many years ago and your right...a great machine and very tight. Later I got a Lee single so I would not have to swap cal. so much. I was impressed with the value and then went on the get the Pro 1000 for 38s and the Lee LoadAll in 12ga. When I lost all in katrina, I went back to the Lee for the price and it is still a great machine.

RayinNH
01-12-2012, 09:20 PM

If you put the primer arm in place it solves the problem. Just don't run the ram all the way down to engage the primer arm in the shell holder...Ray

To keep on topic, Lee Classic Cast. I've no experience with the Hornady but do have a Redding Boss and the primer catching system stinks, lot's of grit around the ram.

UNIQUEDOT
01-12-2012, 10:05 PM
If you put the primer arm in place it solves the problem.

Yep, it's designed to be used with the priming arm in place. I've had the classic cast since it first came out for the horrendous sum of $49.00 and i can count on one finger the number of primers it's missed. To the OP it's already been said, but worth saying again... The Lee is cast iron and the hornady is aluminum. The lee is stronger (i used to swage bullets with mine) and a much better design IMO. There are two versions of it mine is the original which they now sell as the 50 bmg version. The other one is the breechlock version which i don't personally like. If you don't need the super duper primer catcher and never plan to use the press for swaging chores then i would imagine either one (Hornady or Lee) would meet your needs.

Recluse
01-12-2012, 10:48 PM
The Lee is cast iron and the hornady is aluminum. The lee is stronger (i used to swage bullets with mine) and a much better design IMO. There are two versions of it mine is the original which they now sell as the 50 bmg version. The other one is the breechlock version which i don't personally like.

The cast-iron more than tips the Lee in the decision-making process, along with the larger ram. Not a thing, whatsoever, against anything made by Hornady, but with the Classic Cast series, Lee has hit two solid homeruns that can't be beat.

I will not be buying the breechlock as I don't like it either. While there isn't much "slop" in turrets or breechlocks, there is enough and for me, enough is too much. I can live with it in a progressive or turret where I'm not loading match-grade or precision ammo, but do not want it in a single stage.

And, quite frankly, I always check the adjustment of my dies before I start a round of reloading anyhow--ESPECIALLY the bullet-seating dies. No way I'd trust a breechlock for that. And for sizing, case-flaring, et al, I've had no problems with the locking rings on any of my dies, Lee included. If I had to do a lot of adjusting, the Lee rings would drive me crazy, but I don't.

Appreciate everyone's input and experience, for sure! Much thanks.

largom
01-12-2012, 11:13 PM
I have loaded on two Rock Chuckers for more years than I can remember but IF I was going to buy a new press it would be the Classic Cast. My son-in-law has one and it is very impressive.

Larry

Alan in WI
01-12-2012, 11:26 PM
I love my Lee Classic Cast press and would not part with it!

Sixgun Symphony
01-13-2012, 12:51 AM
I bought a vintage Lyman Spartan press for about $40. Check ebay for bargains on single stage presses.

CollinLeon
01-14-2012, 04:20 AM
I've been thinking about getting a turret system for load development on my low volume rifle cartridges (e.g. .45-70). I'm torn between the Lee Classic 4 hole turret (about $110 at Midway) and the Redding T-7 (about $250). I like the Redding better, but at $70 for additional turret plates, I don't like it as well as I like the $12 for the additional Lee turrets. I'm currently using all 4 holes in my Dillon and I can see a possible use for more holes, thus the Redding T-7 looks a bit enticing.

milprileb
01-14-2012, 07:25 AM
I have the Co Ax, older RCBS Rock Chucker, Dillons 450 & 650, Herters Super 0 and a Lee Turret upgraded to 4 hole and rebuilt by Lee to new. Was going to sell the Lee turret but when I want to set up for something fast like 40S&W (when son comes over and says, lets load for it), the Lee sure is handy and quick and chunks out 200 rds in an hour with no effort.

ITs hard for me to part with the Lee. Pretty convenient piece of gear. Especially for pistol loading.

As for the Lee single stage presses, I would skip the breech lock thing and have no issues with their compound
leverage standard 0 type press. I don't read about folks wearing those out

1hole
01-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Other than the Lee having a larger, more wear resistant ram, a fully adjustable lever system, a primer catcher system that actually works (when used properly), a longer ram travel and a cast iron body I don't see much difference between them. I'm not going to toss my old Rock Chucker but if I needed to replace it next week the CC is what I'd get.

It amuses me when people call cast high-grade alum alloys "cheap pot metal." You know, that's the same "pot metal" that's used in most rifles bottom metal, a lot of handgun and some rifle and shotgun actions, scope tubes and mounts, auto engine pistons, some small and some BIG boat hulls, outboard motors and propellers, airplanes, military missles, etc., as well as very high grade Hornady - Dillon presses and some Lee and RCBS presses. Maybe I'm just not discriminating enough to be as concerned about 'pot metal' as our elitiests. ?? :)

Ref. 'quick-change' die bushings, I see those as a well designed solution for which I have no problem. I DON'T wrench tighten dies in my presses (that's not needed nor is it even helpful) so I can screw exchange dies in maybe 40 seconds. start to finish. That amount to a minute or two for a loading session that typically lasts an hour or more; 'saving' that small amount of time will not affect my quality of life! And, with some 50+ die sets in my cabinets, those bushings would be quite costly. YMMV.

rugerdude
01-15-2012, 08:55 AM
You won't be disappointed with the Classic Cast. I got one right after they came out (like you I retired my much used Challenger to depriming and bullet sizing duties) and have nothing but good things to say about it.

From my dealings with various presses I have to say that most all single stages are built like tanks, but the CC is the Abrams of the bunch!:-)

chevylock01
01-16-2012, 10:20 PM
I use a Lee Hand Press and a RCBS Special 3 that I have had since I started. The hand press will give you a real workout. Slow, but I dont get the time to reload as much as I used to. Just bought a lee hand press that uses the Breech lock quick change system. Havent had time to even try it yet. Will post as soon as I try it.

CollinLeon
01-16-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm wondering if welding up a small reloading bench for a Lee Classic Turret press that would slip into the 2" receiver hitch on my pickup might be useful when developing a load. Then again, considering the height of my truck, I could probably just mount the press to one of the receiver hitch cargo carriers... I've got one of those from when I used to own a Jeep and needed a bit more storage room for trips.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-17-2012, 04:09 PM
CollinLeon,

If you decide to do the setup you're mentioning, add a Hornady LnL bushing conversion kit to the Lee Classic Cast. That makes changing out your dies in the field quick and easy as well as leaving them preset for the next time you use them.

You can also mount a powder Measure/drop setup in a Hornady LnL bushing as well. This allows you to resize, prime, add powder and seat bullet quickly and easily on a single stage press while at the range.

Doesn't get any better than that.

Casting_40S&W
01-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Lee Lock Ring Eliminator > The LNL Bushing

Romeo 33 Delta
01-17-2012, 07:55 PM
akdpete. I solved the problem by inserting a piece of McD's drink straw in place of the primer arm (I hand prime) ... problem solved.

Goes without saying ... LEE CAST CLASSIC

moyneur
01-18-2012, 09:31 PM
I had a single stage the press about 30 years ago. now I'm using stay a four whole auto indexing turret press that seems to work great for what I'm doing. Works pretty sweet, don't have to worry about changing guys load and go.

45fisher
01-19-2012, 05:32 PM
I just broke the toggle link (the original link) to my old (1990-2000?) reliable Lee Challenger press swaging primer pockets. I did cry.
Lucky I remembered that the new Lee Challenger press toggle link can be retrofitted for $15.
I have a Redding Boss press which was purchased a few years back when in my newbee mode didn't trust the Lee to hold up. I really tried to wear out the Lee, to justify the additional purchase.
I'm keeping the Redding but retrofitting the Lee!
Go with the Lee

bfuller14
01-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Recluse,
I love my Lee Classic. The primmer catch is great.
Pat Marlin likes them also......

zuke
01-20-2012, 06:44 PM
I just broke the toggle link (the original link) to my old (1990-2000?) reliable Lee Challenger press swaging primer pockets. I did cry.
Lucky I remembered that the new Lee Challenger press toggle link can be retrofitted for $15.
I have a Redding Boss press which was purchased a few years back when in my newbee mode didn't trust the Lee to hold up. I really tried to wear out the Lee, to justify the additional purchase.
I'm keeping the Redding but retrofitting the Lee!
Go with the Lee

I think that's a free repair under recall warranty

Saint
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
I may be wrong but I think my Hornady is cast iron. It weighs a bit much to be aluminum.

Lloyd Smale
01-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Ive never used the lee but have a lnl single stage and also a rock chucker and a orange crush. Right now i dont even have the lyman mounted as i allways prefered the rcbs press. I bought the new lnl a few years back when i bought my 3 lnl progressives. Ive come to use it more then the rcbs. I love the convience of the lock and load bushings. and its just as stout of a press as the rcbs. Only thing i think is a flaw in the design is that when you adjust your dies for the lock and load progressives they are ajusted the same for the single stage. It would be nice to be able to swap them back and forth. Overall its a great press though and its backed by one of the best customer service depts going. Ive found lees customer service to be not so great. One day they seem to take care of you like your a relative and the next they treat you like your a leaper! Ive even had a rare occasion where dillon charged me for parts but NEVER hornady or rcbs. That my friends is worth alot to me when i plunk down my money.

Dan Cash
01-24-2012, 07:23 AM
I've been thinking about getting a turret system for load development on my low volume rifle cartridges (e.g. .45-70). I'm torn between the Lee Classic 4 hole turret (about $110 at Midway) and the Redding T-7 (about $250). I like the Redding better, but at $70 for additional turret plates, I don't like it as well as I like the $12 for the additional Lee turrets. I'm currently using all 4 holes in my Dillon and I can see a possible use for more holes, thus the Redding T-7 looks a bit enticing.

I recently bought the T-7 for loading BP rifle cartridges and stretching brass. I also own 2 CO-AX presses, a ROCK CHUCKer, Lyman SPAR-T, Jerters and a RCBS Jr in addition to two Dillon 550s. The T-7, Dillons and one of the CO-AXs are mounted and in operation. The T-7 is the go to press for the BPCR work and the slide bar priming system can not be beat. Don't know why I waited so long to get one. Not sure how many turrets you think you might need; an extra might be nice to have but I have not needed one yet.