PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find lowest recoil 38 spl cb load

Linepipe
01-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Got a S&W 38spl airweight for the wife. I am wanting her to practice as often as I do but the recoil on most loads is causing issues. I would like to go with the lowest recoil cb load to get over them and progress from there. Currently using a lee 358-124 with 4.0 gr unique.

Next stop would something like the a 105 gr cb. Lyman is showing the lowest pressure with this one and 700x. Would the light bullet/low pressure and velocity combo give me what I am looking for?

Thanks.

Jal5
01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I use a Lee 105 gr cast boolit and its a real light load. If you are interested PM me and I will give you the data. Good for beginners or kids or just for plinking 38 spl and doesn't use us much lead or powder either. Joe

Here is a place to start: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105996&highlight=Lee+105

Tom-ADC
01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
I like Bullseye for light 38 SPL loads, 2.9-3.0 hrs accurate and recoil mild.

DragoonDrake
01-11-2012, 01:46 PM
2.5grs of clays with a 150gr wadcutter.

01-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Got a S&W 38spl airweight for the wife. I am wanting her to practice as often as I do but the recoil on most loads is causing issues. I would like to go with the lowest recoil cb load to get over them and progress from there. Currently using a lee 358-124 with 4.0 gr unique.

Next stop would something like the a 105 gr cb. Lyman is showing the lowest pressure with this one and 700x. Would the light bullet/low pressure and velocity combo give me what I am looking for?

Thanks.

I worked on these loads a couple of years ago for exactly the same purpose as you are looking for. I did not explore every possible combination of bullet and powder- likely several thousand such combinations.

I worked on a minimal recoil load for a 2" Colt revolver. When working in the very low recoil/pressure category with revolvers...two things to keep in mind 1) guard against a classic SEE and 2) the real possibility of having a bullet stick in the barrel. [The SEE I'm referring to involves low charges of slow or hard to ignite ball powders where the primer pushes the bullet into the forcing cone, the bullet stops then the main charge ignites.]

The load I came up with in the 2" 38 Spl revolver that seems to work within practical limits and avoids the potential problems as outlined above.
1.9 gr Trailboss under a 130 gr. plain, flatbase SWC cast bullet.

Larry Gibson
01-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks.

Switch to Bullseye and try 2.5 - 3 gr with that bullet, same with the 105 gr SWC.

Larry Gibson

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
recoil is a matter of physics. low recoil means light boolits and low velocities. but with most 38s you can get them so they are very mild almost like shooting a 22

Beerd
01-11-2012, 03:38 PM
The Lee 105 gr bullet is a favorite and economical one to use.
Loaded with a couple of grains of clays or bullseye it's a real pleasure to shoot in an Airweight.
Drop that same cartridge into a Ruger Blackhawk and it is like shooting a 22.

jmsj
01-11-2012, 09:43 PM
I've got to add another vote for the Lee 358-105-SWC bullet.
My wife shoots about a thousand of these a year for practice in her CCW pistol. I use 2.8 grains of Bullseye and a small pistol primer for her loads.
Good luck, jmsj

singleshot
01-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Trailboss will undoubtedly give you the lowest recoil for any given velocity, though, you might not be able to tell the difference with some other fast powders.

cowboy
01-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Howdy
I would try light charges of CLAYS. For me, in my SASS experiences, got good accuracy with less smoke ( a LOT less) than I get with current production Bullseye powder, ( those particular loads of mine [ the PPC classic of 2.7 gr and a 148 wadcutter ] regardless of their outstanding accuracy ) having been politely banned for use at an indoor range I frequent . YES, the powder DOES make a difference in how smokey the loads are , and Clays has been less smokey for me than a host of others, AND does a great job in soft shooting .38 special loads. Data abounds.
LOVE Trail Boss for .45 Colt and .45 Schofield loads.

01-15-2012, 12:08 AM
Off the top of my head, there is a Lyman mold for a 75 gr wadcutter (if memory serves, 358101). Great for beginers to learn with and easy on the powder. Good all around powder puff fodder.

kmag
01-15-2012, 12:50 AM
When my boy was very young loaded 148 gr. wc with 1.5 gr Bullseye for him to shoot my 38 spec..
He shot them in a 4in gun and my wife shot them in a snub nose air weight. Both were S&W's and were well fitted and no excessive cylinder gap. Never had a boolit fail to exit the barrel.
Also bought a 358101 mold and used 2.5 gr. of bullseye. For some reason the 75gr slug would not cut clean holes in paper targets, but would tear a ragged hole through it. Think it was the reduced velocity. Cut clean holes with heavier powder charges. Never had either load stick a slug in the bore. Still have a box of the 148gr. loads sitting on the shelf with my sons name on them, may just shoot them. These loads were fired an 15 yds. and under.

KYCaster
01-15-2012, 03:42 AM
If she has a problem with recoil of 38 spl. then have her practice with 22rf. Make the range time fun rather than work and you'll probably see some positive results.

Finish your range session with three or four cylinders of 110 gr. boolits pushed by 2.5 gr. of Clays, then five rounds of your +P carry load.

ANY practice is GOOD practice.

Jerry

garym1a2
01-15-2012, 07:03 AM
This combo gets what you want with good accuracy.

I've got to add another vote for the Lee 358-105-SWC bullet.
My wife shoots about a thousand of these a year for practice in her CCW pistol. I use 2.8 grains of Bullseye and a small pistol primer for her loads.
Good luck, jmsj

01-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Oh, and a small addition to my first post and a caution about low pressure/low velocity loads in revolvers. Don't try it with gas checked bullets or half jacket bullets. GCs and half jackets can be left in the bore :shock:

rsrocket1
01-20-2012, 06:23 PM
2.5g Red Dot gives a very light recoil with 158g lead bullets. It would be even lighter with 125g or 105g lead.

You could also cast up some glue stick bullets and shoot them with a primer. At least it gives her trigger time. Even though it's about as loud as a cap gun, don't do it indoors. The smoke is all from the primer which contains lead styphnate.

A pause for the COZ
01-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Personally I have not tried it yet, but I have used it in cast rifle loads.
Give trail Boss a try. I bet that stuff would get you exactly what you want.

imashooter2
01-20-2012, 08:14 PM
My regular shooting partner had a Red Dot wad cutter load that would clear the barrel of his 2 inch 100%, clear the barrel of his 4 inch about 90% and stick every one in his 6 inch. Now that's riding the edge.

Unfortunately, he lost his notebook and "the load" is lost with it...

odfairfaxsub
01-20-2012, 08:18 PM
please bro, 38 special really isnt more than a 22 for kick and just a little more noise.

kweidner
01-20-2012, 08:26 PM
+1 on the trail boss. Can't double charge virtually no report and recoil? as if !

Dirty30
01-21-2012, 01:43 AM
please bro, 38 special really isnt more than a 22 for kick and just a little more noise.

.......BAH 3.6 gr of 2400 or 3 gr. of bullseye behind a 148gr. WC with a CCI 500 primer is a very wife friendly round. My wife practices with them in her cheif special. When she's travels it has speer gold dots in it and they will make a significantly nastier corps than a 22. Good job arming your wife with something she won't be afraid to shoot........bro.:killingpc

rsrocket1
01-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but some questions to ask are:
Is this your idea or her's to shoot the Airweight and is this supposed to be a SD gun or just a fun gun for the range?

I would guess that if this was supposed to be a fun gun for the range, you would have bought a .22LR so I assume this is more for self protection. Is this for daily carry or for the home?

If mainly for the home, you should have her try a bigger, heavier gun, maybe even a 357 magnum to shoot the 38's. She'd be surprised how much more a heavier gun absorbs the recoil of the same load.

If for daily carry, I guess you'd be constrained to a smaller, lighter frame. The problem is that a super light .38 load is hardly any better than a .380 or smaller and you have the disadvantage of the bulk from the cylinder.

If it's her idea to shoot and she is determined, then the recommended loads are good tools to work up to a full power defensive load. If not, then you might want to rethink your options.

44magnum1979
01-22-2012, 11:32 AM
i am using the lee .360 round ball mold for some light plinker loads for my 38 special derringer they work quite nicely. about like shooting a 22lr

Finster101
01-22-2012, 11:47 AM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but some questions to ask are:
Is this your idea or her's to shoot the Airweight and is this supposed to be a SD gun or just a fun gun for the range?

I would guess that if this was supposed to be a fun gun for the range, you would have bought a .22LR so I assume this is more for self protection. Is this for daily carry or for the home?

If mainly for the home, you should have her try a bigger, heavier gun, maybe even a 357 magnum to shoot the 38's. She'd be surprised how much more a heavier gun absorbs the recoil of the same load.

If for daily carry, I guess you'd be constrained to a smaller, lighter frame. The problem is that a super light .38 load is hardly any better than a .380 or smaller and you have the disadvantage of the bulk from the cylinder.

If it's her idea to shoot and she is determined, then the recommended loads are good tools to work up to a full power defensive load. If not, then you might want to rethink your options.

I'm not the OP, but my wife carries an SP-101 .357 she practices with some lighter .38 loads (105 swc or 158 wc what ever I have at the time) this gives her good sight picture and trigger practice. The last cylinder full when we leave the range is factory .357 loads so that she gets the feel for them as well. I am a firm believer that if you ever have to use your SD weapon that with the adrenaline you would never notice the recoil. Hope she or I never find out.

dougader
02-09-2012, 11:01 PM
2.1 grains WW231 under a 148 grain hbwc is a gallery load that recoils like a 22lr; 2.5 grains WW231 under a 158 swc does about the same thing.

Caution, though, is warranted in selecting an area where the back stop is free from old tires or other such trash. My gf caught a 148 HBWC on her lip when one of her rounds hit an old tire and bounced right back at her. It didn't even break the skin, but it did swell a little and it hurt.

I also would be careful with long barreled revolvers because you might end up with a bullet stuck in the bore.

QuickRick
02-10-2012, 12:02 AM
I will join those who have had success with the little Lee 105 SWC bullet. I taught my daughters how to shoot with this boolit ahead of 2.5 grns of 700-X. A very accurate combination with powder puff recoil. I now use the same bullet with 5.0 grns of 700-X as my favorite 38 Spec practice and small game load. From my 5 inch K frame Smith that load produces around 1,120 fps and nearly 300 foot pounds of ME. It is also available in the Lee 6 cavity mold which will produce a pile of boolits in no time....

JohnnyFlake
02-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Trail Boss is excellent for working up light loads for cast/lead bullets.

sigep749
05-20-2016, 11:52 PM
Going to give some of these a shot(pun intended:grin:) for my 6 year old.

DerekP Houston
05-20-2016, 11:54 PM
3 gr. of bullseye behind a 148gr. WC

This is my standard plinking round, very easy to shoot.

beechbum444
05-21-2016, 01:02 AM
3.5 gr of Universal under a 158 Gr lee TL lead bullet is a very light recoiling load.

maclords
05-21-2016, 02:17 AM
125 grain and 2.5 red dot is a good load. No recoil in a 40 ounce gun.

zomby woof
05-22-2016, 09:29 PM
I'm shooting a 125 boolit behind 2.7 WST at steel bowling pins. The crowd says they can see the boolits in flight. There is no recoil

quilbilly
05-22-2016, 10:35 PM
I like Bullseye for light 38 SPL loads, 2.9-3.0 hrs accurate and recoil mild.
Me too

therealhitman
05-23-2016, 04:20 AM
Switch to Bullseye and try 2.5 - 3 gr with that bullet...

Larry Gibson

I just keep remembering "2.7 and go to heaven".

05-23-2016, 04:57 AM
Put a thread up a while back about light projectiles with very light powder charges in 38spl
works for me and I doubt you will find anything with less recoil

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?298833-Deep-seated-boolits

farmersamm
05-23-2016, 04:01 PM
K'kins (Kelly), practices with the Lee 105 SWC, atop 4.2gr HP-38. We use these in the little Taurus M85, Rossi 4", and rarely (if I'm out of mag rounds)in the GP100. These run around 800fps. Very good in the snubnose with a firm grip.

I don't like 38spl stuff in the GP because of sealing issues. Even +P loads seem to throw a lot of gas back around the case due to the dimensions of the chamber. Just my observation.

farmersamm
05-23-2016, 04:13 PM
Dunno about "lady" rounds.

My "lady" works with me when it comes to handling the livestock, positioning steel for welding, and just about everything else around here. Between the two of us, we weigh a smidgeon less than about 5 sacks of feed. She's a very capable woman, with considerable strength, and drive. She handles it all.

Doesn't make sense to practice with stuff that isn't loaded in the house gun. Need to be able to hit with what's in the house.

But, then again......................:lol: I figger anybody comes in the house at night better be wearing a white t-shirt, and give me time to get my glasses before the festivities begin :lol: Otherwise I just might hit the flat screen TV, and those things cost money.