PDA

View Full Version : How do I add weight to an H&R .45-70 BC?

Texantothecore
01-11-2012, 11:25 AM
I have seen a little information on this subject and I hope to add a couple pounds using the the hole drilled in the stock for the screw tang. I am not sure how much weight I could put in the stock and if anyone knows the depth of the hole drilled through the stock as well as the width I would appreciate your input.

I would love to take this rifle from 8.5 lbs. to 12 or so.

I do have the capability of pouring a column of lead into copper tubing of the same size as the hole. Actually a friend of mine could probably machine some lead stock to the correct size if need be.

DHB
01-11-2012, 11:50 AM
Are you sure all the weight should go into the butt stock? If I was you, I'd pore some of that lead into the pipe and then insert the pipe into the stock screw hole and see how the rifle balanced. Not all the weight may need to be in the butt stock alone. Balance is important to a steady hold. You may need to put some weight in front of the fore stock. What ever you do don't permanently block the stock screw hole. You can add a screw at the end of the pipe (into the lead) with a little string to pull the pipe out. You can also use plastic tape wrapped around the pipe to hold it in place. You would not want the pipe to rattle either.
DHB
DHB

Texantothecore
01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks, I'll use those ideas. I expect to be able to pull the column of lead out if I do go hunting and a simple screw sounds as if it would work. I do expect to trap the column in the bolt hole with neopreme for a reasonably solid fit that is stable.

I am not sure how I would go about adding lead to the barrel in front of the forearm, possible the second phase of my project.

wgr
01-11-2012, 12:31 PM
be carefull about adding weight to the forearm . if it a hard kicking rifle. its been done and some of the forearm studs were broken off. i have a BC i put about 3 pounds od lead in the stock and with the long barrel it works very well

phaessler
01-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Honestly with the length of the BC barrel, I dont think you will offset the balance by adding a weight in the stock, and the tiny forend isnt going told a whole lot of weight.
A 1/2" copper pipe filled with lead fits nicesly , and easily adjusted for length, wrap it in thin foam insulation and drill/tap one end to facilitate removal.
Been there done it....
Pete

Texantothecore
01-11-2012, 12:41 PM
thanks Phaessler. I am going to do the math and see what result I can expect. The rifle should be a bit more comfortable to shoot with the added weight

bigted
01-11-2012, 12:45 PM
except for the ballance thing i say go for it and a couple things to remember...you dont want anything to protrude from the front or rear of your slug so i would just drill and tap the lead inside the pipe to recieve a long metal screw with the very course threads...kinda like a wood screw.

secondly make sure to fill a "pipe" with lead so the lead does not swell and both crack your buttstock and also make it very dificult or impossible to remobe when its time to remove the buttstock in the future.

did this very thing to a couple very lite shotguns when i were a kid and even tho the ballance was very different...it made a hammering *** into a good shooter that killed ducks and grouse like no tomarrow.

if your barrel heavy now anyway then i would ballance the gun at the reciever and weigh the barrel as it sets on the ballance point to find out how much lead n pipe weight you can install before the rifle goes to a buttstock heavy gun. even butt heavy rifles will shoot well if you get used to the backwards way they feel and ballance...lots better to have a new feel then to not shoot a shoulder beater well

good luck and report back with your success with your project.

Longwood
01-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I am sure you will like how it shoots better if you can get past the balance issue.
I did the same thing to my new Hiwall Using a piece of 3/4 copper pipe, a little electrical tape, and 1/2 inch of closed cell foam between it and the butt plate.

I used the pipe to measure and make my cut but you may have to use a broom handle or something because of the bolt.

I took it out Xmas day and let a bunch of friends shoot it with some 405 grain bullets in front of 16 grains of Trail Boss, and everyone had a ball that shot it and the ones that had shot it before also liked it better.
I offered my shoulder pad to the people but nobody used it.

I shoot long range, from rests only, with the gun so the balance is not an issue. I installed a Malcolm scope on it so it was pretty barrel heavy already.
It now weighs 12.72 pounds. I sure would not want to carry it on a hunt.

Texantothecore
01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
I was thinking of installing a steel bolt insert in one side after pouring and I think that might work. I would just run a 1/4 -20 bolt into the insert and pull the lead out.

I shoot only with rest so I am not sure the balance is going to affect the rifle use at all. Well, must get my components together.

Thanks everyone for the help.

DickK
01-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Seems to me it would just be a lot easier to fill up the cavity with fine, as in small, lead shot. Taking the butt plate off and putting it on is going to be a pain as well as wear out the screw holes.

As for recoil,
a .45-70 with a 405 grain bullet at 1330 fps out of a 7.5 pound rifle produces 18.7 foot pounds of energy and 12.7 feet per second of recoil velocity and
a .30-06 with a 165 grain bullet at 2900 fps out of a 8.0 pound rifle produces 20.1 foot pounds of energy and 12.7 feet per second of recoil velocity.

Do a search on Rifle Recoil Table for more information.

smith54
01-11-2012, 05:16 PM
mercury recoil reducer a possibility?

midnight
01-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Be careful adding a slug of lead in the buttstock of the H&R. My brother did it with his 45-70. He added a cylinder of lead and cushioned it with a short spring and leather washers. The recoil actually broke the buttplate and cracked the stock. An immovable installation may be better. Now he just shoots it without any weight and lives with the recoil.

Bob

AkMike
01-11-2012, 05:48 PM
For my Ruger 450 NE I'm building I scotch taped 3-375 dia boolit together and dropped them down the hole. About 9 stacks of these filled the hole nicely and added good balance to the rifle. It's easily removable at some point too.

flounderman
01-11-2012, 07:49 PM
why go to all the trouble when you can fill the stock with lead shot and pour it out when you want it out?

para45lda
01-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Another vote for lead shot. I even put an amount of Elmer's glue on it to keep it from rolling around while I put the buttplate back on.

Wes

wgr
01-11-2012, 08:22 PM
i used some 10 gage slugs that i had

nanuk
01-11-2012, 11:15 PM
I remember reading an article about this very subject

the suggestion to the moving under recoil issue was to use heater hose, cut (1/2-1inch??) and then cut lengthwise and trimed along that cut the make it a squeeze fit. two at either end the butt end one cut precisely so the plate holds it tight.

I think that gave it just enough "Give" to not break stocks and such

Frank46
01-11-2012, 11:49 PM
I did a jungle carnine this way. All the lightening cuts in the forend were filled with epoxy and #7 shot. The buttstock was filled with the same size shot but in a freezer bag. It did what it was supposed to as it increased the overall weight by close to two pounds. Was a different animal when I finished glass bedding the forend and the buttstock. You have to be careful that the lead shot does not get wet. It oxodizes and the oxidation expands and can crack the wood.
Frank

Longwood
01-12-2012, 12:10 AM
I did not have any shot handy plus I am a cheap skate.
I used a short piece of copper pipe in the previously mentioned Hiwall, and that was headed to the recycler sooo.
Cost? maybe 40 cents..

The lead.
Cost? '0'.

The piece of foam.
Cost? '0'.

'The lead was wheel weights I got for free. I had the electrical tape, and the foam I used was a piece I had trimmed off of one of those floor covering pads that snap together.

I priced the mercury filled ones but I was shocked at the prices they want.

01-12-2012, 12:37 AM
The H&R 10 shotguns come with a cold rolled steel bar fit in the through bolt hole. It helps. I installed a mercury recoil reducer tube in the through bolt hole on other H&R's (.45-70) and it helps a great deal. The balance thing wasn't a problem. You have to shoot with a mercury recoil reducer to see what a tremendous benefit they can be. There are a couple of installation tips I can pass along if you eventually end up doing it. Good luck.

littlejack
01-12-2012, 01:10 AM
Texantothecore:
I used to own one of the H&R Buffalo Classics. I did make up a piece of copper pipe with lead for the butt stock. I put a dense foam button between it and the butt plate it to keep it stationary. The copper tube fit just right. Balance was fine.
I never could get the BC to shoot well, so I sent it back to Remington, (the present owner) and they sent me back my purchase price.
I still have the piece of pipe for the stock. If you want it, you may have it for the postage.
PM me your address, and it will get into the mail.
Jack

Texantothecore
01-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I do want it. I have sent shipping info by PM.

Thanks, I am lookiing forward to trying it out.

TTTC

bydand
01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
How about reducing the amount of powder you pour into the cartridge case?

Texantothecore
01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Bydand,
I do reduce powder and lead for special purposes. But I am going to be going long distance with the rifle and I want to be able to shoot a large number of rounds at distance and at this point cannot do it without some pain in the shoulder.

Apparently this is a common mod to the .45-70 and other .460 class rifles.

I am teaching some kids to shoot with it and we will be shooting 144 grn round balls with 6-10 grns of Trail Boss so that it doesn't knock them out of the chair. They both weigh 105 lbs and I want them to love shooting as well as I want them to be able to brag to their friends that they shot a buffalo rifle. Gives them Big Ju-JU.

Texantothecore
01-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Bydand,

One of the joys of these big calibers is their ability to shoot many different loads for whatever purpose suits you. 144 Rb through 600 grain, they all seem to do it well.

One of the reasons that I am a dyed-in-the-wool .45-70 guy. I love the round and the rifles.

Longwood
01-12-2012, 08:24 PM
[QUOTE=Texantothecore;

I want them to be able to brag to their friends that they shot a buffalo rifle. Gives them Big Ju-JU.[/QUOTE]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After shooting my 45LC lever actions and my 45-70 Hiwall Xmas day, several young people, and one skinny little Mexican that had never fired a real gun before, went home with some great memories and some video's on their cell phones.

Texantothecore
01-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Longwood,
What a great idea. I will make sure that they get videos of their walk on the wildside.

jnovotny
01-14-2012, 10:05 AM
I also have a suggestion it's called trailboss. Try some of this powder, it is very easy on your shoulder.

RMulhern
01-14-2012, 10:48 AM
A cinder block will keep it under water a long time!

Fredx10sen
01-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Cotton balls, lead shot and then cotton balls. Be sure to use enough cotton balls to cushion the lead shot and keep it in place. Works great in mine even when shooting a 535 grain at around 1400 to 1500+ fps. Mine is a a regular tack driver with the Smith sight installed as well. My 12 year old grandson doesn't have a problem shooting it either. I have had this setup for a long time and have not had any problems with the stock or shooting it. Real nice way to get the right balance you are looking for.