PDA

View Full Version : magnum research trigger is ----!

kennyb
01-11-2012, 01:24 AM
I ordered a Magnum Research 1722 semi-auto in .22 mag. a while back and man this trigger sucks, it must be 8 pounds at least. I can't even tell if the rifle has potential to shoot good because of the trigger. Sooooo do I try to trade it away or do I stick more bucks in it and get something like a Kidd Trigger? I already have 700 bucks in it.
Have any of you dealt with this before? I think the trigger group is the only Ruger parts in this rifle.
A little advice guys.
Kenny

Markbo
01-11-2012, 01:57 PM
If this has a Ruger (or copy) trigger group, there are tons and tons of threads on what to do on triggers are Rimfirecentral.com. You can either buy a replacement trigger group, do your own work (polishing and springs) OR replace the hammer - yes just the hammer with a Volquartsen unit.

Just doing that will often get the trigger pull down to around 3 lbs, though it doesn't do anything for the creep that is just part of the design. I've built a bunch of these and stopped working on the Ruger hammers... not time effective. I just replaced them all with VQ units that I tried to get on sale in their bargain bin for about 1/2 price.

Now I still do all the polishing and spring work, but again just the hammer replacement will do wonders for you.