PDA

View Full Version : General Question about seating and lead boolits

jeepin
01-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Very new to reloading, I cant seem to read enough. My question is regarding cast boolits, of lead alloy nature, seating with the seating die. Do they make different seating dies based on the profile of the boolit, or are they all pretty much designed to press on the ogive and not touch the tip?

Reading and learning, that's what I am doing when I'm not shootin!

01-10-2012, 11:56 PM
A seating stem that matches the nose profile, is best. Lyman's seating stems are numbered to match their nose profiles. A mix-and-match approach will work, however some sort of nose distortion or marking is common.

You can modify a seater to conform to your particular boolit nose, by filling the hole with hot melt glue or epoxy, and mating an oiled boolit nose to it. Easily done and results in a perfect match.

MtGun44
01-11-2012, 12:55 AM
A lot of cast boolits are flat nosed, and I like to use a plain flat punch for my lubrisizer, but
often there is a mismatch in the seater and there is a ring marked on the boolit. Doesn't
hurt any thing except the looks.

Bill

canyon-ghost
01-11-2012, 12:55 AM
RCBS makes good ones, my 44 special/magnum die set came with a seating stem for roundnose and flatnose (swc) both. It also has a spacer that makes the 44 Special lengthened to 44 Magnum. They do, more or less, specialize in cast boolit reloading.

Redding makes some good wildcat specialty dies, pricey though.

You get what you pay for in die sets, basically.

often there is a mismatch in the seater and there is a ring marked on the boolit.

Some will mark the boolit nose with a small ring indentation, it's really insignificant.

jimkim
01-11-2012, 07:57 AM
I haven't tried it with my other dies yet, but using a top punch for the seating stem works good in my Lee 30-30 dies. Right now it's set up for Lyman 311041's.

W.R.Buchanan
01-11-2012, 11:55 PM
Jeeps go with guns very well!

Randy